Cabinet mounding question

12 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bam02
bam02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are doing a remodel and kitchen cabinets went in today. The GC pointed out that our ceiling isn't level and won't allow the crown molding to be installed. He is recommending a "two step" molding that will basically be a flat piece of trim used to Make the transition and will allow them to cheat the discrepancy.

Is it just too difficult to make the angles and "cheat" using the crown molding? We'd prefer that but I can see it being more difficult due to the "3 dimensions", for lack of a better term.

The first pic is of that right cabinet and you can already see it's unlevel.

Would a great carpenter be able to do it? I didn't get to speak to the GC about it today but this is what he explained to my wife. Cabinets are all square. Definitely the ceiling that's out of whack.

txag2008
AG
Hah small world. I just went through the exact thing in my kitchen gut/remodel a few weeks back when I mounded my cabinets. I ended up doing the exact "two-step" solution that you mentioned since there wasn't any way to make crown work with the amount of 'unevenness' in the ceiling.

If it's 1/4" or maybe up to 1/2" over a longer distance you could make crown work if you had to, otherwise it'll be pretty difficult to make look right.
bam02
AG
Wow that's a crazy coincidence or (most likely) this is more common than I knew. Makes sense sense I guess when my house was built 30 years ago no one would have ever had cabinets to the ceiling!

Are you happy with the 2 step molding?
txag2008
AG
I don't think it looks as sharp as crown, but also think I'm the only one that'll ever notice the difference. We also have simple, shaker style cabinets like you so it does kinda fit with the clean lines.

This mock-up is what mine ended up looking like (obviously with the red piece instead of the crown). I scribed the top trim piece to follow the 'shape' of my ceiling and for there to be a consistent reveal on the bottom of the trim.
bam02
AG
Thanks for the feedback! I feel better about it after taking to him. I wanted to make sure the trim would be 100% straight as far as lining up with the cabinet doors. He said they'll scribe it to the ceiling like you described.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.