Celebration Bermuda

4,207 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by El_duderino
Bad Poster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Had celebration bermuda installed on my lawn this last winter and it is nice and thick in some areas and not so much in others. The recommended cutting height is 1.5" but my lawn isnt super level so I want to avoid scalping the nice lush grass. I mow once a week. Is cutting at 2" still okay? It looks a lot greener and thicker after 3 days. Since im not cutting at 1.5"
10andBOUNCE
AG
Side question since I'll be needing a new lawn after building this fall. Can you lay a new yard via sod in the winter?
docb
AG
Noobmaster69 said:

Had celebration bermuda installed on my lawn this last winter and it is nice and thick in some areas and not so much in others. The recommended cutting height is 1.5" but my lawn isnt super level so I want to avoid scalping the nice lush grass. I mow once a week. Is cutting at 2" still okay? It looks a lot greener and thicker after 3 days. Since im not cutting at 1.5"
I have celebration in my yard too. I think it would be fine to cut it longer. If I could do it all over again I think I'd have just gone with tiff bermuda grass. I don't think the celebration does any better in the shade for me.
El_duderino
I'd cut it shorter maybe down to 1". I maintain my celebration at .5" and it's like a fairway. It's much healthier on black clay than in the areas where I brought in sandy loam topsoil for some reason though.
evestor1
What kind of mower are you using for .5" cut
El_duderino
A toro greensmaster 1000
LeftyAg89
AG
We recently moved into a new home and the developer is using Celebration also... my first time w/ a bermuda lawn.

Here's what I picked up for my small yard.... I need the exercise!
It seems to do a pretty good job, as long as the grass doesn't get too high.

El_duderino
To piggyback on the post above, I have a 5 blade Scott's manual reel mower for $50 if OP or anyone else with Bermuda wants it. In bcs
EvenPar
AG
Can someone please explain the differences between Celebration vs Tiff419 vs Zoysia for the BCS area? We are considering all 3.
El_duderino
Celebration is probably the top or one of the top bermudas to have. Grows laterally very quickly and great wear and drought resistance. I wouldn't waste money on 419. I think Zoysia can be fungal prone, but maybe someone who actually has zoysia might have some input here.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Is it possible to buy celebration or TIF seed?
El_duderino
Sod, plug, or sprig only. A pallet of celebration is $135
10andBOUNCE
AG
Thanks. I didn't see any on my google searches. I've got about an acre or so I'd like to establish a lawn on. Not thinking ~100 pallets makes a ton of sense.
El_duderino
I understand. Seeding is very difficult and usually you get high weed pressure. I didn't need an entire acre, but I laid down pallets of sod around/close to the house and then took plugs from the sod to use throughout the yard
Aggiehunter34
S
We have El Toro Zoysia and I love it. It doesnt require much water and is slow growing. The slow growing is nice once it is established, but if you get any bare spots it takes a while to grow. It doesnt like too much water though and will get a fungus if you do water too much or if it rains too much. We are on year 2 and it is starting to grow really nice and thick. It is like carpet to walk on.
TMfrisco
AG
docb said:

Noobmaster69 said:

I have celebration in my yard too. I think it would be fine to cut it longer. If I could do it all over again I think I'd have just gone with tiff bermuda grass. I don't think the celebration does any better in the shade for me.
I've read and heard all the claims of Celebration being more shade tolerant. The key is, it is still "bermuda". I have tested it it different areas and if it is more shade tolerant it might need 30 minutes less sun than 419.
TMfrisco
AG
El_duderino said:

Celebration is probably the top or one of the top bermudas to have. Grows laterally very quickly and great wear and drought resistance. I wouldn't waste money on 419. I think Zoysia can be fungal prone, but maybe someone who actually has zoysia might have some input here.
Why would you consider 419 a waste of money?
TMfrisco
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Thanks. I didn't see any on my google searches. I've got about an acre or so I'd like to establish a lawn on. Not thinking ~100 pallets makes a ton of sense.
Sod the areas that are important to you.
If you have irrigation you could sprig a hybrid bermuda in the other areas for about 1/2 the cost of sod.
Hydro-seeding is another option if you don't mind a non-hybrid bermuda. Again, you would need irrigation to get it established quickly.

If you want zoyzia, sod is the only realistic way to go. I have had zoyzia in various areas and it will spread - maybe 1-2'/year with good growing conditions. I started putting zoyzia in my yard under trees about 10 years ago and it has just about taken over the entire yard. Two more years and it will have the whole thing.
El_duderino
It's just personal preference. 419 seems inferior to the other hybrids such as celebration, tiftuf, and tifgrand. I agree about the shade tolerance though. Celebration is still Bermuda at the end of the day.
btalking
AG
Have celebration since we built our house in 2016. Cut it at 2.5". Our house backs up to woods and over time the area closest to the woods thinned out, as well as areas under the larger trees in our yard. The areas of our yard that get the most sunlight is where it looks the best.
Iowaggie
AG
Noobmaster69 said:

When you cut, how much are you cutting off?
I've gotten best results with my Bermuda when I increased the frequency of mowing as I was cutting off jut the top of the grass instead of cutting it in half (sometimes).
cevans_40
AG
El_duderino said:

It's just personal preference. 419 seems inferior to the other hybrids such as celebration, tiftuf, and tifgrand. I agree about the shade tolerance though. Celebration is still Bermuda at the end of the day.

Couldn't disagree more. Apart from tiftuf, 419 is still the gold standard in Bermuda.
El_duderino
Hey I just said personal opinion. I didn't say it was a good one. Can I ask why 419 is the gold standard?
Bad Poster
cevans_40
AG
El_duderino said:

Hey I just said personal opinion. I didn't say it was a good one. Can I ask why 419 is the gold standard?

Golf course superintendent in me speaking, it has the best texture and color.
El_duderino
Good to hear from someone that deals with it day in and day out then. I just figured it was the cheapest and typically what builders just throw down due to that fact.
I was stuck between celebration and tiftuf and went with celebration due to the aggressive lateral growth and better shade tolerance. I've quickly realized that it's still Bermuda at the end of the day and it's thinned out under a big red oak with only 3.5- 4 hours of sun per day. The full sun celebration has been fantastic though.
docb
AG
I do think the celebration has a more appealing color to me. I like the darker green.
El_duderino
I really like the look of it with the deep blue-green color
EvenPar
AG
Our celebration does terrible in any shade. It won't grow. Rest of it looks great, especially in the morning with the early dew. Wish there was a lawn service that offers a reel mowing more than once a week.
El_duderino
I didn't even know there were lawn services that offered reel mowing?

You're right though, the grass looks fantastic in the morning dew especially after being cut the day before.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.