Filling Ruts in Yard

2,123 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggie_wes
Bulldog73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We had some concrete poured a little while back, and the truck left some significant ruts in the back yard, some 6+ inches deep. I'm more worried about the function of having ruts while having kids run around and play back there.

I've got a couple different landscapers that have come by, one said he could fill them in with dirt for about $200. The other said dirt would just wash away, but sand would be ideal for $300/$400. The cost difference won't break the bank, but I do want to make sure that whatever we go with will last and eventually can grow grass in those areas.

Which way should I be leaning?
03_Aggie
How much dirt we talking about?
Aggietaco
AG
You want to loosen up the soil a bit before just dumping soil in them. You could probably use a hand tiller in the ruts, then add soil and top with strips of sod or seed. If the area is heavily sloped both sand and soil would wash away in a heavy rain.
Bulldog73
AG
Roughly 10 yards from the bids.
cslifer
10 yards to fill the ruts??? Did they sink that concrete truck to the frame?
Bulldog73
AG
It was pretty bad, and the back yard is fairly large. Some of the ruts are 5 inches deep. Stupid rain, they told me they would be using a cart, not bringing the truck back there.
aggie_wes
AG
10 yards for $300? Who is your dirt guy?
ftworthag02
AG
definitely not soil building systems
Bulldog73
AG
Good question. I assume they use landscape supply around Waco area.
ftworthag02
AG
maybe living earth (waco)
TikkaShooter
If you can get 10 yards delivered for $300, tell him I'll buy all he's got!
lb3
AG
Ruts are just displaced and/or compressed soil so all the soil you need to fill the ruts is still in your back yard. I would rent a large tiller and re-grade the surface. We have heavy clay soils that don't drain well so adding fill with different percolation rates might create new issues.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Bulldog73 said:

It was pretty bad, and the back yard is fairly large. Some of the ruts are 5 inches deep. Stupid rain, they told me they would be using a cart, not bringing the truck back there.

How large is the yard? A 6" deep x 12" wide rut is 1 CF of space per linear foot of rut for both sides of the vehicle. So 10 yards is enough to fill 270 linear feet. Do you have a football field in the back, or did they do donuts?
Bulldog73
AG
It's about 3/4 of an acre, so 10 yards may be a little high for what's needed.
aggie_wes
AG
I agree with this. That's why I must know.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.