What should I do around this tree?

1,723 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by lotsofhp
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I have another that I'd like to put a stone/concrete block ring around, but I have no idea what to do with this. It comes right up against the driveway, so I'd need something that could span over the roots. Maybe block and some kind of lintel?
Potcake
AG
Gravel or river rock?
ABATTBQ11
AG
I could fill it with that, but I'm not sure what to make a tree ring with. I'd prefer block, but I'm not sure how I'd set it (or anything else) with the roots so close to the driveway
FatZilla
AG
Crushed granit would work. Drop a weed mat down first and then put a couple inches of crushed granit on top around the entire tree all the way to the concrete (feather the granit down to match concrete level at edge). It wont hurt the tree roots to cover them as this doesn't hurt the tree base like mulch would. Drains extremely well and looks great. Ring it with metal or plastic gardening edgers if you want to spruce it up a little more to give it a raised bed look.

This is like what i used around my shed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ProFlex-24-ft-x-4-in-Black-Aluminum-Landscape-Edging-Project-Kit-4-6-ft-pieces-1806BK-24C/202969868

evan_aggie
AG
It's too tight of a space for block IMO and ground too wonky with the roots.. I think your best bet is to go with the edging like the link above. You may even have trouble installing but edging depending on how shallow the roots are.
BQRyno
AG
Whatever you do, don't make a mulch volcano.
FatZilla
AG
BQRyno said:

Whatever you do, don't make a mulch volcano.

Just dont use mulch at all. Its worthless for fully established older trees and can actually cause harm instead. Use rocks or nothing at all.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I'll probably go with rock and simple edging. That's what my neighbor has anyway.
lotsofhp
AG
Maybe plant a ground cover in that area and just make sure to keep it off the tree
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.