Weeds & Adding Mulch

976 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Dog Lord
The Dog Lord
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wanting to add some fresh mulch to several beds, but I wanted to see what I may need to do to address the weeds first. There are palms, shrubs, and oaks in the same beds, so I'm concerned that spraying the weeds might affect the rest too.

Will a deep enough layer of mulch kill the weeds on its own? I'd dig some of this out if we were staying here longer, but we are just getting it ready to sell (was my FIL's place).

Cromagnum
AG
Just take a hoe or solid rake to all of it and then mulch.
HDeathstar
Where you don't have plants, I would pay someone to dig out the dirt about 6 inches and haul off. Then fill it back up with hardwood mulch to the level you want. Will eliminate the weeds gong forward. (best way)

At least dig out the weeds and then put down mulch. Don't try to save dirt that has weeds in it, if you are going to put mulch down, it will break down into dirt over time. Put down a thick layer of mulch a few inches higher than you want. It will compact down after a few rains.

If I had to build my flower beds over again, I would have just used a hardwood mulch and let it turn to dirt.
The Dog Lord
AG
I've been hoping to dig it out some first, but it's been tough to get someone to commit to doing the work. I think landscaping crews are still pretty busy with post-freeze work.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.