Recommend a Welder

1,435 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BenTheGoodAg
BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just wrapped up a project with a borrowed Millermatic 175. It was my first time to weld, and was really pleased with the welder, and want to buy one for my own use. The owner offered to sell it, but asked me to name my price. I'm not really crazy about low-balling him or paying too much for a used model this instead of just buying a new one, so I've been tossing around this Lincoln at Home Depot with similar specs to the Miller I was using (Link: Lincoln 180).

I'd welcome recs for a good mig welder, or thoughts on the one I've linked, or even thoughts on a good price to offer for the Miller.
Bonfire97
AG
I think I paid about $700 for my Millermatic 175 around 2003. It's a great machine. Looking at the prices of the new Millers I am not sure what a reasonable price would be since it appears the Miller welders have gone up in price quite a bit since then. I would probably offer him $500 for it, if it's in good shape, since it looks like the 141 they sell now is about $1000 online. Take a look at the Hobart 190 at Tractor Supply. I nearly bought the Hobart 187 when I bought the Miller. They are supposedly good welders as well. Whatever you do at least get the smallest 220v model of whatever you buy. There was a huge performance difference between the Millermatic 135 (120V) and the 175 as I recall.
lb3
AG
I got the millermatic 211. It's got dual power input for 120v and 240v which might one day be useful if I need to travel with it, but so far it's just a feature I've overpaid for and have never used.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I'm not knocking the Miller 211, because I really covet it, haha. But for that kind of money, I could grab a Lincoln 140 (120v) and a Lincoln 180 (220V) and still have money left over. And the Lincoln is listed for slightly more performance (thicker metal, more current), but slightly lower duty cycle. Am I missing something that makes up for the cost?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Good thoughts. I'll check out the Hobart. Definitely want a 220V machine.
javajaws
AG
I've got the equivalent Lincoln model from 10 years ago. Great welder, no regrets buying it. Whatever you get just make sure it's 220 and gas.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Aggietaco
AG
Hobart 187 was a great welder back when I needed something with that amount of oomph. I've got a 120V Hobart 125 now that is fine for running flux core for small stuff around the house - random non-structural fab projects, landscaping, fence building, etc.

If you are doing real work, I second the above on 240V and gas.
Bonfire97
AG
Another suggestion I have is to just get an 80cuft C25 bottle. That size bottle will last you a very long time and it's smaller and lighter than the 125. You can pick up an empty one new on ebay for $225 and have it filled at a local welding supply place.
lb3
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

I'm not knocking the Miller 211, because I really covet it, haha. But for that kind of money, I could grab a Lincoln 140 (120v) and a Lincoln 180 (220V) and still have money left over. And the Lincoln is listed for slightly more performance (thicker metal, more current), but slightly lower duty cycle. Am I missing something that makes up for the cost?
I think the Miller branding makes up most of the cost difference and perhaps the duty cycle and dual voltage rating the rest.

I needed a welder for a project and had never done any welding so I got a Miller because it was basically the only name I knew. I got the 211 because it had a $300 rebate and I didn't know if I would be taking it over to friend's places where there might not be a 240v outlet. I overpaid for the functionality I use but I've never had it cut out on me regardless of how much I'm welding. I'm a satisfied customer.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
An interesting thought I've chewed on for a few days. I eventually settled on the 125, since the cost of the bottle was only $20 more (and it's the size I've been using). I'll probably keep my eye out for an 80 on craigslist/facebook though for later.

Thanks all for the recommendations!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.