backyard shade sails

2,058 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by KDubAg
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last summer, we lost our massive patio umbrella after winds snapped it off in the night when I went to sleep without closing it. We've been thinking about adding a covered patio, but then we had a flooding incident that put that project on the back burner.

After taking my kid to swim lessons, I noticed the family pool where lessons were hosted had put up shade sails, and it looked like they were pretty effective.

A couple of examples:

Anyone here ever done this? I'd be anchoring them into a brick facade. The thought is that I could stretch a couple of triangle sails, stagger them a little bit, and get good enough cover as a temporary solution until the the covered patio comes off the back burner.

Thoughts or advice appreciated.

MW03
AG
disregard: found this thread

https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3186947/last
agnerd
AG
If it's temporary, get a mesh tarp:

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ft-x-20-ft-mesh-all-purposeweather-resistant-tarp-60584.html

I don't like that the triangle sails leave gaps. Mesh doesn't look as nice, though.
KDubAg
AG
We'll be attempting this, this weekend. Got two different sails, but we'll start with one. We'll see how it goes.
fka ftc
By brick faade do you mean the exterior of your home? I would not recommend that. If that thing gets caught in the wind the bricks are going to just pull away from the house.

In the example pic, look at those poles this is anchored to. Those are pretty stout poles with likely and 18" to 24" footer. Just my couple of cents.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
FincAg
AG
Check the amount of tension suggested, if there is one. The tighter the less flapping and less likely to see it fly away in a storm. You want to slope this so rain does not pool in the middle and add extra tension and pull your eye bolts or D rings out of your facade. Speaking of facade, if you are ok with using that hook/eye bolt/D ring for a hammock, then it could be used for a shade cloth or sail. Else might consider a stronger alternative.

2 cents
FincAg
AG
We have a square sail pulled to a hyperbolic shape under a pergola. Easily drops the "feels like" temp 10 degrees.
KDubAg
AG
Finally coming back around to this thread. Got ours up recently. Two sails. One connection point on the patio pillar, other points on steel poles. One triangle sail and one right triangle sail. Worked out well imo.

bam02
AG
That looks nice. Did the straps come with it? I think it would look cleaner with steel cable and turnbuckles.
KDubAg
AG
bam02 said:

That looks nice. Did the straps come with it? I think it would look cleaner with steel cable and turnbuckles.

Thanks. Didn't come with straps. I agree that the steel cable/turnbuckles would look nicer, but the ratchet straps seemed easier. If I needed to take it down for a storm or hurricane, it'll be easier with these.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.