Outdoor Patio by Pool - Must Haves?

2,576 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by one MEEN Ag
RooAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am putting in a pool this summer with a patio as well. The patio will most likely be an extension off the house, but not 100% definite on that yet. I want to do it right the first time, so don't want to miss anything in the build. I'm not trying to make it super fancy, but want to get the basics and other nice to haves covered. I already have an outdoor kitchen with grill, sink, fridge, so no need there, and unfortunately I can't add a bathroom for a couple of reasons. So I figure out will be a good sized open space that will have a patio table area and a couch area.

Here is my list so far, please add your thoughts and recommendations!

• TV
  • Fire pit under the patio (space is tight, not sure I can do pit and patio separate and have any grass left for dog)
  • Lights (canned lights on ceiling?)
  • Fan(s)
  • Electrical outlets (maybe for pellet smoker or something)
  • A west wall (rather than 4 posts and open, thought about a wall for the TV that blocks the sun so no glare, could also hold towel hooks, etc)
  • String light hooks
  • Speakers - tied to TV, but also streaming music, etc
Aggiehunter34
S
Not sure if you have changes in elevation that will require steps, but if you do, you might consider deck lighting. It is nice to turn on to light up everything around the pool, even when you are just out there enjoying the patio. The other things you mentioned are all great! You can't have enough electrical outlets. If you have a space for a potential outdoor kitchen one day, even if it isnt in the budget now, you may want to think about having it rough plumbed while everything is tore up.

Best of luck!
RooAg
AG
Unfortunately no elevation changes but otherwise a great idea. I will try to put in a lot of lighting though. Thanks.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
pizza oven
PlanoAg98
AG
If you have natural gas at hour house, run a gas line. Would be good for BBQ grill, patio heaters, etc.
Leeman
Pole for dancing.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
I literally have a list in my notes in my phone where I add pool and patio ideas to. And links from other TA post about this kind of stuff. Here is my running list for the patio ideas...

Outdoor patio features:
- Outlet with switch's for fans. oscillating fans in corners.
- Outlet with switch that control decorative lighting. Add this in the eaves/upper corners.
- Beer fridge. Ice maker?
- Sink? Hot water mini heater?? Not a true need though.
- Pull out drawer for trash can.
- Extra gas line hookup for crawfish boil etc
- Gas line run up high for overhead gas heater.
- Gas line for fire pit and grill
- Electrical outlet near pellet grill
- Add speaker wire to other end of pool. In conduit. For foe rock speaker.
- Add 2 cat 6 cables from attic, down gutter to outdoor kitchen. One for camera. One for tv. Hardwired always preferred if possible.
- Drawer/cabinet for electrical stuff.
- Audio tuner. With WiFi and hdmi hookup for tv/music.
- 2-3 outdoor speakers.
- Make sure you don't have big post/column in way. Like neighbors. It messed up their view of the pool.
- Storage. Maybe mini closet? For rafts and electronics. (On back side of west wall maybe?)
- Outdoor lighting. Tree lights. Install conduit for wires/switches.
- Have lights that point away from house. Not towards house.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Pre-wire 220v for infrared heaters (if not installing them from the beginning). Like a pool heater extends your season, infrared heaters in/on the ceiling extend the fall/spring seasons that it is comfortable outdoors.
Take the trash out staff.
RooAg
AG
Great responses. Thank you.

I am trying to figure out the closet thing. We will have two large posts about 20 feet from house with a roof for the patio extension. On one hand, we could leave it "open air" for the air flow and add some electronic roll down screens if we want to close it in if wanted.

On the other hand, we build a wall on the west side where we would hang the TV. I'm leaning to some sort of wall because I can't think of another way to add shelves or a closet or something for towels, sunscreen, etc. A closet would be great because you could put in your pool toys, electronics, pellets for smoker, etc. Just trying to figure out how to make it look good?
The Grinder (99)
AG
We added outlet in ceiling for string lights, they're on a switch . Love this feature.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
String lights

And instead of west wall; you could install motorized shades
Dr.Rumack
Some sort of in floor outlet boxes? Trying to think of a way to make it water tight when not using it.
I guess you could drop it in a six inch pipe (is that standard size? I don't know much about plumbing) and cap it with a screw top like a clean out.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Spend more money on screening out neighbors through privacy walls and larger shrubs/trees.
Shaded area over pool
Largest mosquito magnet you can buy or screen in part of your porch
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.