Dishwasher repair

879 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Dr.Rumack
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're remodeling a house in BFE Montana. Dishwasher was having some issues and I kept getting an error code which indicated it wasn't coming up with enough water. Hoses so seemed to be good and water was turned on, so I pulled it out of the counter and found that a mouse had been nesting on to of it at some point. Pulled it out further and find some wires on the side that were chewed through. It looks to me like the wires go to dinner kind of sensor on a water tank, so I'm thinking that could be the issue, but I haven't looked into other writing damage.

Question is, do you think it will be worth getting it fixed, or should I just buy a new one?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Getting someone qualified to come out to BFE Montana will cost you probably half the cost of a new one. Maybe worth loading it up and taking it to the big city. Have someone take a quick look and then decide. Either it gets fixed, or you buy one in town.

Maybe find a pest control guy too.
mosdefn14
AG
Can you just buy new wire harnesses online? Sometimes appliance repairs can be quite simple, but if not cheap enough to try
Jason_InfinityRoofer
I'd have zero issue cutting, stripping, soldering can and shrink wrapping those wires. It's just MTW wire. Straight up copper. Are you comfortable with that?
https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
rather be fishing
AG
If it's just the one little sensor that I've seen, it plugs into a quick connect, and I'm hoping the other end is similar. Could be as simple as buying a replacement. Looks like there's a guy 45 minutes away who does appliance repair, so I'll probably haul it over to him and let him take a look at it. "Approved" LG appliance repair places are 2+ hours away in either Spokane or Kalispell, and at that rate, I can buy something new from Home Depot an hour away.

Issue is we're expecting a baby any day now, so I have to be smart about my travel time and direction. Since this isn't a warranty issue, I'm probably not going to hesitate to chunk it and get something new if it's not an easy fix.
rather be fishing
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Maybe find a pest control guy too.

So far I've trapped a mouse, a shrew, and an ermine inside the house. 2 of the 3 were probably doing me favors. I've seen no fresh signs since we got heavy into the remodel, but I foresee a lot of pest proofing in my future.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Jason_InfinityRoofer said:

I'd have zero issue cutting, stripping, soldering can and shrink wrapping those wires. It's just MTW wire. Straight up copper. Are you comfortable with that?
I'd second this if you're comfortable with doing it.

BFE, huh? I hear it's lovely this time of year.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Wtf is an ermine?

Did I just fall for a new dikfer?
rather be fishing
AG

Also known as a short-tailed weasel or stoat.

I talked to a repair guy close by that time me LG and Samsung are pretty impossible to get replacement wire harnesses, but said to try splicing wires back together to see if it would work. So I'll probably do that and see if it works before I buy a new one.
rather be fishing
AG
Well 2 of the components coming out of the wire harness had large sections of wire that had been chewed out and were missing. I spliced in some wire to fill in and it works now. I'm still not confident it won't catch on fire though.

I may see if I can find a replacement wire harness and just swap everything out.
Dr.Rumack
Sounds like you'll be Dad of the Year as long no other necessary repairs are imminent. Congrats on the new addition.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.