Questions on pool features

2,540 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Grinder (99)
Bob_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just curious some thoughts on features we are deciding to include or not in our design.

Location is Round Rock, TX.
  • Pool heater
  • Spa
  • Tanning ledge or sunshelfs and the size of these features
  • '
  • Pool covers. We do have some large trees around us in neighbor yards and we back to a greenbelt with large cedar elms that drop a crap load of leaves.
  • Pool depths and variations for just a recreational pool, no laps or anything. We have two younger kids

Mainly just want to know if there was anything you wish you did or didn't do, what you like or not, and anything you hate. Feel free to add anything.

Much appreciated.
EclipseAg
AG
Our pool is about 15 years old. We did a volleyball-style ... five feet deep in the middle, slopes gently up on both ends. Love that; perfect for floating or people standing around.

We had underwater stools installed on a bench at one end with a raised ledge above them; the builder said they were popular because kids could sit on them and have lunch or snacks or something. But no one has ever used them. And they cause a lot of trouble with the robotic pool cleaner. I wouldn't do that again.

We also have underwater benches placed around much of the perimeter. People do use those.

Wish our tanning ledge was bigger. It's a little too small to place a lounger on.

We had one of those rock waterfalls built that were popular at the time. Not sure if they still are, but we rarely turn it on. We have a wrought iron fence along a walkway that gets a lot of traffic so the waterfall mostly blocks people's view of us in the pool. I wouldn't spend the money on that if I built the pool today.

One final piece of advice: Don't cheap out on your decking. We used flagstone and while it cost a lot, we have never regretted doing so. It looks beautiful and is easy on the feet.

IronMan92
AG
We had pool builder:
  • add a larger slab so I added a liquid chlorine tank tied to automation
  • add extra electrical outlets - some were tied to the automation so we can control from the phone, others are live all the time - for pool robot
  • add spotlights from the eave tied to automation
  • sheer descents on it's own pump
  • gas line for fire pit and then run to gas grill
  • inserts for volleyball poles

I wished we had auto cover for the pool, elevated side around the pool (so grass doesn't get in when I mow), saltwater system (easiest to maintain chlorine), use different coping than flagstone (if I got saltwater), covered patio and outside bathroom. The patio/bathroom are wishful thinking as it adds a lot to the build.
Flashdiaz
AG
I can heat my pool but never have done so.

Conversely, I use the hot tub\spa all the time in the non-swimming months.

As someone said, don't cheap out on the decking. Get as much as you can as that will translate to walking\living space.

interesting about the in water stools and table. Always wished I had that but now i'd reconsider.

if you have a direction that the wind constantly blows in your backyard, put a skimmer there so the wind can help keep your pool clean.

if you have a rockwall or tall wall on a side of the pool, add a can sized ledge to hold on to or put drinks on.
WALTON LOADS!
AG
I will echo the previous posters and say don't skimp on your decking.

I was hesitant to do the heater at first but now I'm really glad that we did. To me, you don't get the heater to go swimming in December or January (even though you can), you get it to extend your season. Its nice to be able to turn it on in the morning in March or October, and its ready to swim in by the afternoon.
Bob_Ag
AG
Awesome, these are helpful.

From what I've gathered from here and on the trouble free pool forum, sounds like adding extra skimmer, plumb water features independently, salt water chlorine generation, pool robots for cleaning, and not skimping on decking are good ideas.

I think we are for sure going to do the pool heater, but likely no spa. I'd like to do a cover, but I think that's going to be $$$ for an automatic one. I'd really like to get an outdoor fireplace out there, but battling trying to leave a decent amount of grass for kids and dogs (plus I'm a yard guy).

Would love to hear more thoughts from other pool owners out there.
555-PINF
Like someone above said, don't to built in stools. They're a pain to maintain because the auto cleaner won't get them. We're getting a removable table and stools - SRSmith sells them. They go in a recessed holder in your pool and can be popped out for easy cleaning or if you need more swim space.
aTm2004
AG
My brother just had a pool built last year, and some of the things he added that he enjoyed and some stuff he wishes the thought of:

Added:
- 8' x 8' sun area that sits in about 1' of water. He has chairs that go there as well as a spot for an umbrella, so he can lunge in the water but not swim
- Seating area along the side in the deep end that's about 2' deep (aren't stools). He also added one about midway down the other side by the waterfall. Good areas to sit as well as ways to get into and out of the pool
- Electrical outlets/access all around his pool area (he's an electrician). If he ever wanted to expand his pool area and add additional lighting, speakers, outdoor kitchen, etc, he has power run to use and/or tap into.
- 10' deep.

Wishes:
- Beach entry. The sun area kind of negates this, but he's stated he should have gotten it for easier entry and another place to lounge in the water.
- Standing steps in the wall in the deep end. Kind of related to the seats mentioned above. The area where the tables and chairs are located are at the deep end, so the seats are good for that area, but he's stated multiple times he wishes he would have added some embedded steps about 4 or 5 feet down so you could put your feet in it and stand about chest deep in the deep end if you're wanting to stretch while still talking to someone at the table.
Greener Acres
AG
Not really an answer, but think about how you'll use the pool and how you currently use friends' pools. Somebody on another thread commented about how people don't actually swim in pools. Kids jump in and out, adults sit and talk. So make spaces suitable for that.

We did an 11x8 sun deck that's six inches deep. It fits four plastic Adirondack chairs.
The heater is for a hot tub and swimming on warm weekends in late spring and early fall. If you're spending the money for a pool why not use it as much as possible?
We didn't go with the cover and have a lot of trees, including a cedar elm right next to the pool. This seemed like a stupid idea at first, but we loved the ambiance the pool provided all fall with the water features flowing and just the look of it. Plus the weather was still warm enough some weekends to slightly heat the pool and swim.
Ours goes to 5.5 ft deep but we don't have a slide or diving board.
For decking, do as much work as you can to tie it into your current patio in a useful and nice way.
For your pool budget, add a 5-10k for the things you haven't thought about plus the upgraded finishes you'll ultimately choose. Then add another 10k for furniture, a new grill/flattop/pizza oven or whatever you don't currently have, plus all the snacks and drinks your new friends will mooch off you. And towels.

aggiepaintrain
AG
don't forget you get to redo your backyard sprinkler system and landscaping

ahem $5k more.....
The Grinder (99)
AG
We've had our pool about a year. I was actually just talking with our builder today. We "might" be building another on a new lot in town and we're discussing things I'd do same and different:

-we have an automatic cover . We have a lot of trees and I will definitely do again as new lot has similar amount of trees. This is not something you can add later so it's a must. You do have to have a rectangular pool for this to work though.

-have a heater. Agree with above. It's expensive to run and we don't heat the pool in winter, but we've used it this month when weather is nice but water is too cold. We got the pool to use, so heater is something we will do again (incidentally, this and a chiller for that matter can be added later, unlike the cover, so I'd save here if you had to decide between things. Could always add it later)

-we have a three tiered wall with water falls. Kids absolutely love this to jump off of. We all like it going when we're swimming or if we're just outside. It adds a lot to the atmosphere even during the non-swim months.

-the best thing however, is a long bench under the waterfalls. It is the best place to sit to let that wide stream of water fall on your shoulders. Super bonus is to sit there when the heater is going cause the water coming out is like 100 degrees and it feels great this time of year (spring/fall)

-I almost passed on the hot tub. In fact, I only got it because it worked aesthetically with my design. Turns out we really love it. I will definitely add again. When the temp is cool to cold, you can't reasonably heat the pool, but the hot tub heats up quick and it's great. We built a huge hot tub (7' x 12'). Will do that again. Lots of people can fit in there and it's a favorite for the kids friends and for me when it's just the kids and I in those cool months

-we have a big beach and we love that too. Another spot to jump off of. We don't use it a ton for lounging but it's another feature or point of interest. Believe it or not, you may get bored with a pool but having those points of interest help (fountain, beach, bench, etc...). We tiled the beach with the same tile we used for the waterline. I was nervous that it would be too slippery but it isn't slippery at all and I will definitely do it again . Looks great. Feels great on your feet. Breaks up the visual from the pebble on a large pool.

-we used pebble on the pool. I was looking at the glass type pebble but it was going to be another 15-20k so that was a no. However, my pool guy said they could buy some after market glass and throw it in the pebble as they shot it. He made the analogy of throwing in flakes on an epoxy floor. Anyway, I was nervous cause our contractor said he'd never done it before. we did it and it looks good. Only complaint was I wish they threw a lot more on. So, I'm going to repeat that but ask them to triple the amount they threw in. It was only a couple hundred bucks to throw it on by the way.

MTTANK
AG
Would you mind posting some pictures of your setup? Sounds pretty ideal. I like the waterfall idea with a bench too.
The Grinder (99)
AG
I can post some actual pics this weekend. here is a link to the design though. The pool itself looks very much like this.

The only difference is we made decking all the way between the patio and the pool. In between the covered patio and the hot tub we added a fire pit. It turned out really well and it works for our lay out.

I designed it that way to protect a mature oak (that is in the link). The pool ended up being further away from the house than I would have done otherwise. For that reason I made the hot tub off the pool in an "L" shape to sort of tie it together with the patio extension. The fire pit in between was a late addition to the plan and was also there to sort of tie it together. It all worked really well.

The patio extension (and outdoor bathroom) were done at the same time. When we started that pool seemed REALLY far from the house. It has turned out to be something we have really enjoyed though as we extended the patio and brought the hot tub and fire pit closer to the house.

So are the tree seems to be doing great. It helps that the beach was placed by the tree which allowed us to leave a large amout of the tree's root system undisturbed

The Grinder (99)
AG
Sonterra is an Ag by the way, Patrick Johnson (class of '01 or so) out of Temple/Belton
mel99
AG
What do you guys think about Trex decking around the pool?
aggiepaintrain
AG
Grinder, that tree will drop a lot of leaves and pollen.
The Grinder (99)
AG
you're right. I have other trees in the yard as well. I sort of love my trees, so that made the pool cover (not shown in the diagram) a must. therefore it made the shape of the pool rectangular, therefore the pool had to be that far from the house which all dictated the design of the hot tub, fire pit and patio.

Anyway, we've had the pool a full year now and have been through every season (with our walnut, pecan, elm and other trees); spring with our oak pollen and their leave drop, and we've done fine. The cover makes it possible. I don't think you can have a pool in a yard with a lot of trees without a cover.

A friend moved into a house in our neighborhood with a pool minus a cover and he literally drains his pool every year to clean the leaves and pollen out and refills it after the pollen is gone. I'm sure I would have to do something as drastic if it weren't for the cover.

If you have't seen it, those things are awesome, you just flip a switch and the pool is covered/uncovered in about 30 seconds. We actually keep it covered most of the time and it really keeps it clean.

They aren't cheap, but neither is a pool and I would suggest one to anybody that is building a pool that has a lot of trees
aggiepaintrain
AG
Good to know, we are about to build pool #2 and may go with the rectangle version, ball park what's a cover cost on decent sized pool....$3-5k, or 5-10k?
The Grinder (99)
AG
its probably north of 10K, I believe ours was 12-15. I don't recall the exact amount
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.