I have found signs of termite activity. Recommendations?

2,222 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JP76
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Found a 2 small holes in my front door frame with sawdust running down. I sprayed foam termite killer in the holes and found a few wingless termites. Suspect sub-terrainian type. Upon further inspection, no further damage and no signs in the attic.

So, is this self treatable or do I need to hire a Termite Company? I have seen Termite Kits at Hope Depot but don't know if they are valid or not.

Any experiences or recommendations?

Gracias.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Burn it down and start over
lb3
AG
If subterranean, look for dirt tubes around the edge of the foundation and then check the plumbing penetrations throughout the house.

All the really effective pesticides have been removed from the market so you'll need to use something like fipronil. Dig a trench around the sides of the house effected, then soak the trench with a fipronil solution. Repeat every couple years or as needed.
AgCWby90CS
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

would make more money selling the wood piece by piece these days..........
CWby '90
Rice and Fries
ABATTBQ11 said:

Jason_InfinityRoofer
Termites don't make sawdust. They make mud tubes. Look for mud tubes or another variety of WDI.

It's never a bad idea to have a perimeter treatment for termites if you have never had one or don't know if you have one. Termites in Texas is a matter of time for everyone.

Where I am, if you put any cellulose material on the ground with ANY moisture, termites will be under it in 24 hours Max.
https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
Aggie71013
AG
Sawdust could be carpenter ants.
Aggie71013
AG
How could one tell if they are using plumbing to reach the wood? Would you notice them in cabinets? My house was treated for termites about 10 - 15 years ago way before we bought it and I believe treatments last about 10 years. Been told that they'll come back without another treatment, but I check regularly and haven't seen any activity so I haven't worried about it.
UmustBKidding
They don't travel in the plumbing they travel around where pipes penetrate the slab. Worst offender is typically under bath tubs where there usually is a ~1ft square hole in the slab so they can set and adjust the drain to fit. Even worse is when they don't remove the wood forms that formed the hole before they installed the tub. So if your house has access ports behind tubs/showers and other places pipes are in place check them. Otherwise they travel in mud tunnels on the outside of the slab. You should check for these and never have plant material/mulch above or even near the top of the slab.

Aggie71013
AG
UmustBKidding said:

They don't travel in the plumbing they travel around where pipes penetrate the slab. Worst offender is typically under bath tubs where there usually is a ~1ft square hole in the slab so they can set and adjust the drain to fit. Even worse is when they don't remove the wood forms that formed the hole before they installed the tub. So if your house has access ports behind tubs/showers and other places pipes are in place check them. Otherwise they travel in mud tunnels on the outside of the slab. You should check for these and never have plant material/mulch above or even near the top of the slab.

I check the slab for mud tubes every week when I mow so I've got that covered. My master tub has an access port, but walk-in shower doesn't. Question is if there is anyway to check the shower or just find out the next time I rip out and redo the shower. Seems like there is no way to know unless I redo the shower or their are visible signs inside of the house.
AgCWby90CS
AG
UmustBKidding said:

8" below the height of the slab is recommended. As for shrubs near house and any other vegetation, they should be trimmed to at least 6" away from the house. Plant material should never be allowed to touch the house.
CWby '90
AgCWby90CS
AG
Aggie71013 said:

UmustBKidding said:

I check the slab for mud tubes every week when I mow so I've got that covered. My master tub has an access port, but walk-in shower doesn't. Question is if there is anyway to check the shower or just find out the next time I rip out and redo the shower. Seems like there is no way to know unless I redo the shower or their are visible signs inside of the house.
without ripping anything out, about all you can do is look for signs.
CWby '90
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
Go get some really good barbecue.
TexDill15
AG
Southlake - did you have anyone come out for a treatment or an estimate.

I live down in the mid-cities and found a mud tube over the weekend and the first quote to treat all around the house was 1200.

Just trying to see what ballpark should be.
Southlake
TexDill15 said:

Southlake - did you have anyone come out for a treatment or an estimate.

I live down in the mid-cities and found a mud tube over the weekend and the first quote to treat all around the house was 1200.

Just trying to see what ballpark should be.
I've heard around that amount too. This covers trenching with termite killer and termite stakes. You also pay around 50 bucks a quarter for them to come out and inspect the termite stakes and add further treatments
Gary79Ag
AG
Southlake said:

Found a 2 small holes in my front door frame with sawdust running down. I sprayed foam termite killer in the holes and found a few wingless termites. Suspect sub-terrainian type. Upon further inspection, no further damage and no signs in the attic.

So, is this self treatable or do I need to hire a Termite Company? I have seen Termite Kits at Hope Depot but don't know if they are valid or not.

Any experiences or recommendations?

Gracias.

As someone noted below, this maybe carpenter ants, not termites since you mentioned seeing residual sawdust. Get some boric acid dust and spray that into the holes. That'll do the trick. They'll carry the boric acid to the main nest and contaminate the carpenter ant colony, thereby eradicating them and solve your problem! Ask me how I know the next time you see me!
Gary79Ag
AG
UmustBKidding said:

This is oh so true as I have seen this in the 3 houses I've renovated in the neighborhood over the past 16 years. The house I'm currently in the process of renovating had 2 bathtubs and in both cases the builder left the 1x4 wood forms in place in the drain areas and it was a direct path for the termites to enter the structure and do damage to the walls in the bathroom areas. Found the exact same issue in the previous 2 home renovations...
Southlake
Boric acid dust - Home Depot?!
Gary79Ag
AG
Southlake said:

Boric acid dust - Home Depot?!
Yes, Lowe's too and maybe Wally world.
MouthBQ98
AG
A gallon of Taurus plus a 5 gallon bucket and a pick mattock and a Saturday.

You can treat your foundation yourself for about 150.

If you need to work around a lurch or drive, you rent a hammer drill and a 3/4 x 18" bit and drill holes every foot.
kingj3
AG
Mouth is correct.

This stuff:

https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/taurus-sc-insecticide

and a 5 gallon bucket.

Then, I'd get a garden sprayer and just keep it up as a maintenance item. I believe that this stuff is a good all-around pest killer as well
JP76
You can buy generic Termidor online and DIY. Same thing that majority of companies use for treatment and prevention.

https://www.amazon.com/Taurus-SC-bottle-Termiticide-Generic-Termidor/dp/B007G2QPAY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Termidor&qid=1621400039&sr=8-3

A lot of the time they come in on the tub boxes around the trap.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.