How to replace weatherstripping on sliding glass door?

3,018 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JP76
sornman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As stated how do you go about replacing the weatherstripping on an old sliding patio door? My sliding glass door rattles quite a bit as it is loose at the top of the frame as most of the weatherstripping has been worn away.

First picture you can see the 'pile' weatherstripping where the door closes, but the second picture you can see where it is pretty much bare. The weatherstripping looks to be set in a channel, rather than a glue-type application. I don't see a way to remove the door framing to pull out the existing weatherstripping.

It looks like something called zipper pile weatherstripping could work, and there are a couple of videos on youtube about it, but not much. Anyone have experience with this and know of a good way to replace it?

sornman
Bumping to see if anyone has any thoughts on how to handle this.

Thanks!
maddiedou
AG
Why do you think weatherstripping needs to be replaced

It is always hard for me to see pictures and what is wrong
maddiedou
sornman
maddiedou said:

Why do you think weatherstripping needs to be replaced

It is always hard for me to see pictures and what is wrong
See picture 2. See the tuft at the top of the vertical track? That 'tuft' should be in all the tracks. so the horizontal tracks, the rest of the vertical tracks. Instead, it is all worn completely away pretty much everywhere (pic 1 - hard to see, but that horiz track is bare, pic 2 - horiz and vert tracks are bare, pic 3 - wider view of bare horiz track). The result is that it is causing the door to rattle (side to side/front to back) in the track when opening and closing, and allowing warm air in/cold air to escape.
AggieOO
had a similar issue, but i just ripped out the slider and put in french doors. Probably doesn't help you, but it took me and my brother-in-law a few hours for the whole process. It took longer to get the slider out than to put the doors in.
sornman
AggieOO said:

had a similar issue, but i just ripped out the slider and put in french doors. Probably doesn't help you, but it took me and my brother-in-law a few hours for the whole process. It took longer to get the slider out than to put the doors in.
Thanks. I have thought about french doors here, but don't have the budget. >$1000 vs $30 or so if something like this could work. I wish there was more information online about the subject for the type of door I have.
JP76
I've done a few of these over the years. Take a small flat head screwdriver and pry the old one out and then pull it out the channel with needle nose pliers. You can install the new in the groove using a screen spline tool. The trick is finding the right size. I bought some last at a window company and took a sample from the existing door for them to match the right size. I guess with amazon you could order all the different sizes and return the wrong ones.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.