Home Building Materials Cost Differences

1,386 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Agthatbuilds
tsuag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
*This is not considering the current extremely high prices we are experiencing. This question is based on the "normal" prices one should expect in the future - maybe 6-12 months from now.*

I'm trying to get an idea of the price/sq ft difference between different types of homes.

Let's just say for the sake of this conversation that an all siding(Hardi, or comparable) home with no brick or stone is going to run about $120/sq ft to build. For all examples here let's assume basic to mid level finishes on the interior, but I'm mainly asking about the external materials for now.
Assuming the base home is $120....
How much for brick halfway up and siding the rest?
All brick exterior?
Stone halfway up and siding the rest?
All stone exterior?

I'm assuming that all stone is the most expensive, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

We are looking to build within the next 12 months or so, and are looking at our options now.

TIA
Dr.Rumack
700k just for the exterior would be cheap. Factor in glass and roofing materials from there.
Ever slept on a king size mattress for more than a year?

Friends in the neighborhood here are fixing up their 'garages' to live in while they slowly redo their old houses.

Later use nice 'garage' as VRBO/AirBnB. Profit is high and you can pay back your friends or relatives that you borrowed that $40k from to renovate and then list it on AirBnB OR the bulletin board at the university.

Oh, the $40k doesn't include the architectural work and/or bells and whistles.

You can obviously cut these numbers or multiply as need. You're gonna fight ALOT so be ready. My top things were some kind of small basement, space for two good TVs and an aquarium down the road.
tsuag10
AG
Wrong thread?
Agthatbuilds
Where are you building for 120/sqft?

Or is that just the material budget?
Garrelli 5000
AG
Pretty generic question. It is like saying "I want to buy a $25,000 car. What does it cost to make it go faster?"

Having said that, in early 2019 we were quoted $15,000 to replace some of the brick on the front of our home with stone during a new build.
Take the trash out staff.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I will wait for a builder to come to correct me, but I think the cost per sq/ft difference was about $5-6 in the past. With siding, you have siding, trim, labor, paint to account for to make it a fair comparison. You need to look at sq ft of siding not sq ft of the house. If you have 9 ft tall walls, you are looking at about $45-50 per linear foot more for brick or stone. I am not sure what you mean by halfway up. Are you building a two-story home or are you wanting a stone wainscotting?
tsuag10
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Where are you building for 120/sqft?

Or is that just the material budget?
Im just using $120 as a base for comparison. Trying to get an idea about how much more it's going to cost me to do all stone vs siding with some stone. For example, if the cheapest option is all siding at $120 (or it could be $150; doesn't matter), it's going to cost +$20/sqft to do all stone. Or maybe it's +$40. I'm just trying to get a handle on how big the difference is going to be.
Agthatbuilds
Okay. Just dont set yourself up thinking 120/sqft is sufficient for a new home.
tsuag10
AG
GrimesCoAg95 said:

I will wait for a builder to come to correct me, but I think the cost per sq/ft difference was about $5-6 in the past. With siding, you have siding, trim, labor, paint to account for to make it a fair comparison. You need to look at sq ft of siding not sq ft of the house. If you have 9 ft tall walls, you are looking at about $45-50 per linear foot more for brick or stone. I am not sure what you mean by halfway up. Are you building a two-story home or are you wanting a stone wainscotting?

Good point about thinking about it in linear ft vs total sq ft. I am just hoping that someone who is either a builder or has recently bend through the process can give me a rough idea of cost differences.

Not a 2 story. I'm referring to a stone or brick wainscoting. Thanks for helping with the terminology
tsuag10
AG
Absolutely.
I'm thinking more along the lines of $140-$150+, but I'm not sure yet.

FWIW, The land we are looking to build on is in SW Guadalupe County.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Since you didn't mention the size of the house, let's go with 2500 plus a garage to make it 3000 sq ft of structure. If this is a 60x50 box, you have 220 linear feet of wall. Multiply by $50/lf and you have $11k. Take this and divide it back into the sq ft of the structure and you get about $4/sq ft. For grins, if my sq ft cost was wrong and it is more like $7, you are adding about $6 sq/ft.

GrimesCoAg95
AG
We all like to think about cost /sq ft of living space, but that is not how many materials are quoted. When comparing materials such as siding or stone, you have to go to sq. ft of material. This is is also true for drywall, countertops, tile, flooring, paint, etc. We roll this up to a cost/sq. ft, but it is hard to make that always work. For instance, adding a freestanding tub to the master may cost $3k, but we wouldn't say it adds $1/sq ft to the house. It adds $3k to the master bath.

Another place the cost/sq ft gets crazy is when you have an oversized garage or large covered porches. These have significant costs, but do you count them as sq ft in your estimate? When I built, I budgeted for living at one cost and garage/porch at a factor of that cost.
Agthatbuilds
As a builder, we bid our jobs as framed sqft. So we count porches, garages and even pools and driveways. It all cost money and it's pretty disingenuous to leave those out of the per sqft cost. It also gives us the opportunity to spread out the overall cost over multiple less expensive spaces.
Heated sf is more of a real estate thing.

As far as material cost, every material is slightly different.

Stone- tonnage
Brick- tonnage
Lap siding- linear foot
Carpet- yards
Countertops- number of slabs
Windows- type plus amount of glass
Concrete- yards

And so on.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.