Assembling a swing set?

1,987 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by lotsofhp
Scotts Tot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have one of these swingset/slide/fort things on the way for our kids. I will probably do the assembly 100% solo. I'm handy enough with tools but wasn't sure what to expect with these in terms of what makes the process easier. Do these typically come with predrilled pilot holes or is the user supposed to do all the measuring and drilling? Any random tips or words of caution??
dtkprowler
AG
I have seen people use some scrap 2x4s braced to the ground to help hold things upright or keep them from falling over while working on another part. Never done it, but that's all I've got. Good luck!
Aggietaco
AG
dtkprowler said:

I have seen people use some scrap 2x4s braced to the ground to help hold things upright or keep them from falling over while working on another part. Never done it, but that's all I've got. Good luck!
Correct, use some scrap 2x lumber and clamps to help when you need a set of extra hands.

I haven't done one from a kit, only one that I salvaged and modified, so I can't speak to the pilot holes. I would imagine they are all pre-drilled though.

Also, make sure none of your lumber is sitting on the ground. I used trex type composite lumber to space all of the wood up off of the ground to make sure it lasts. When I salvaged our playscape, the original builders had done the same on 80% of the build and it was obvious what was touching the ground and what was not.
lctag
AG
I assembled one solo several years back (it was Gorilla brand I believe). It came pre drilled. Not difficult, but just time consuming without the extra set of hands. The Texas heat in August didn't help either. You will be good though.
PearlandAg09
AG
Once you open the boxes and before starting any assembly shake out everything in the backyard first. Any piece that's the same have it stacked together and others in separate piles in numerical or alphabetical order (i.e. piece AA1, AA2, BB1, etc....).

Will save you a lot of time during assembly by not having to hunt for each piece.
Tube
PearlandAg09 said:

Once you open the boxes and before starting any assembly shake out everything in the backyard first. Any piece that's the same have it stacked together and others in separate piles in numerical or alphabetical order (i.e. piece AA1, AA2, BB1, etc....).

Will save you a lot of time during assembly by not having to hunt for each piece.

This is by far the best piece of advice for these kits.
TexAg2001
AG
PearlandAg09 said:

I know it's not a playset, but similar. I recently assembled a gazebo from a kit. All holes were pre-drilled. It took about 2 full days with me and 2 teenage helpers. Shaking everything out and organizing prior to starting helped a ton. Another thing I did was separate all the hardware (bolts, screws, brackets, etc) into separate bags by step. This felt like a huge time saver because I wasn't having to constantly search for the right hardware. It had close to 800 bolts & screws.
AtlAg05
AG
TexAg2001 said:

PearlandAg09 said:

I know it's not a playset, but similar. I recently assembled a gazebo from a kit. All holes were pre-drilled. It took about 2 full days with me and 2 teenage helpers. Shaking everything out and organizing prior to starting helped a ton. Another thing I did was separate all the hardware (bolts, screws, brackets, etc) into separate bags by step. This felt like a huge time saver because I wasn't having to constantly search for the right hardware. It had close to 800 bolts & screws.

IKEA on steroids!!!
lexofer
AG
If it's got a bunch of lag bolts use an adaptor to attach your sockets to your drill. It's a lot easier than using a socket wrench.
FincAg
AG
I'll add that using a corded impact driver was a huge time saver over your standard battery powered drill.
TexAg2001
AG
AtlAg05 said:

TexAg2001 said:

IKEA on steroids!!!
It was a kit from Costco. We are very happy with it so far. Seemed to be high quality. No warped or split wood and all holes lined up perfectly.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
I put together a gorilla set solo a couple months ago.

Very simple. Best advise already given, sort and categorize all boards before hand, as well as the screws and bolts, i put them in various boxes, coffee cans and labeled, as once you open them it's hard to keep together.

Progress pics with my helpers. If the ground is level, and you follow the instructions on leveling between levels, it goes pretty well.

Dr. Doctor
AG
Before building, buy a gallon or two of outdoor urethane. Paint everything with 2 coats.

Will protect from the sun. Mine is starting to fade finally, after 6 years.

~egon
akaggie05
AG
Good advice here. All I've got it throw whatever crap tools they provide in the trash and use good socket / drill / impact driver.
Van Buren Boy
AG
I assembled this one by myself. Took about a week working here and there. The BILT app had 3D instructions that really helped in some places. And having two good ladders to use as a brace really helped because I didn't have an extra hand.

Mmetag10
AG
Also if its going in the yard plan on the weed eater tearing it up if you have a yard service. I swear next time i'm going to wrap all base peices in metal edging to keep it from getting worn down. It looks like the ladder is half the board it used to be.
Cramp00
to address the weedeating something like this is a life saver

https://www.amazon.com/Swing-Set-Anchor-Leveling-Kit/dp/B07PWMZMGW
aTm2004
AG
Though they aren't difficult, they are extremely time consuming to put together. Honestly, the best thing I learned from putting one together is you need 2 additional people so you can cut the time down quite a bit. I was lucky and had my dad and brother over to help, and once we figured out the formula, we got it up quickly.

Why the need for 3? You need 2 people to put the pieces together and 1 to be a step ahead with the instructions getting the board(s), bolts/nuts/washers/etc ready. That is the most time consuming part, even when you have the boards all laid out and categorized. The number of bolts and crap that come with these things is shocking. My brother and I would finish up and then my dad would have the bolts and stuff laid out on the table and the boards ready. He'll tell us where it went and how, and we'd put it up. While we were doing that, he was gathering for the next step.

I'd also suggest not using hand tools. Get yourself a socket adapter or two for your cordless drill. It will make it go a lot faster.
JSKolache
AG
I did this last August - hot as balls. Subassembled the tower panels & swing set legs inside (air conditioning) and then carted everything out the back door for final assembly. All my panels were pre-drilled & it was easy enough to finish with a cordless driver. 2-3 cordless drivers would have been easier because my kit used 3 bit sizes & was constantly swapping bits. The manual said it was a 8-10 hrs job. It took me 3 days off and on.
PincheDriller
AG
I actually do this as a side hustle. Love putting stuff together.

Tips:
-label all parts as mentioned and organize, I use painters tape and label them with sharpie
-lay out all bolts and screws same as boards
-have 2-3 drivers/drills with attachments
-have all attachments ready
-BUY a magnetic tray!!!!! I would put all bolts/screws on it and cart it around without fear of losing in grass!
-ladder or lumber braces are your best friend
-have plenty of water/ beer when done

I can typically get one done in 6-8 hours if they say 10-14 hours with proper planning.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

I put together a gorilla set solo a couple months ago.

Very simple. Best advise already given, sort and categorize all boards before hand, as well as the screws and bolts, i put them in various boxes, coffee cans and labeled, as once you open them it's hard to keep together.

Progress pics with my helpers. If the ground is level, and you follow the instructions on leveling between levels, it goes pretty well.

I got a really similar one, built it almost all my myself.

My battery 1/2" impact wench made it go up fast.
lotsofhp
AG
Everyone in here just acting like a man can run out and buy 2x4s for bracing like he just won the lottery
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.