First time table refinishing

726 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Decided to try my hand at refinishing furniture. As a family of 6 with #7 otw, I figure it can't hurt to learn a little.

Picked up a table from my boss, who's mom was relocating. Old school gently used heavy table.

First thought, I'll just sand it and then paint the whole thing. Wife vetoed that idea, she wants the top stained and a painted base.

Used the liquid stripper and after two good scrapings, it was down to the level I could apply some stain.

Used ebony stain to get the darkness she wanted. Not the best coverage, but I did allow my 7 year old to help on application and wiping. Good learning experience and it's just a table that will earn even more love.

Lots of sanding on the base, a coat of primer and then brushed on a satin black paint. Took 3 coats to get it just right.

Finished putting the last coat of poly on the top. I've done the recommended 3 coats, my question is should I do a couple more?

I still need to apply a couple coats to the base after it sets for a couple days.

Thoughts?

BenTheGoodAg
AG
Looks great!

I did five coats of poly on mine, and I'm really glad I did. I've got 4 young kids and it takes a lot of abuse. If I could have done it over again, I would have sprayed the poly. I think brushed on was fine, but spraying is superior for finish/bubbles/thin layers.
Gilligan
AG
Good job! It's fun to complete those kind of projects.

Recommendation: Restore-A-Finish. You could have used a dark version of it and some 0000 steel wool with less work. It's really good stuff.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Did a 4th coat and started poly on the base.

Came out good.

Now onto the chairs. Those will
Just be lightly sanded and then painted with my sprayer. Will look into the sprayable poly for the. As well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.