Home Improvement (Flooring) Cost Increase

1,536 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Before the freezing power outages happened, I was looking to have new wood-like porcelain tile put throughout my house replacing carpet, wood, and tile. I had quotes and was just about to pull the trigger when the freezing power outages happened. I had an attic pipe burst so my attention was diverted to restoration and ceiling work instead of the flooring. The contractor that I had planned on going with has now said that prices have increased substantially. I know that lumber prices has increased. However, why would porcelain tile prices have increased? I'm thinking the prices increased simply due to demand with other needing to replace flooring due to the freezing power outages. I'm thinking of just waiting it out until demand goes down. Thoughts?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I would say wait it out, but I'm currently not following my own advice. As to why there is a substantial increase in price...I'm sure plenty of folks on the politics board have some different answers for you.
htxag09
AG
Kind of similar situation, we were looking at doing either engineered hardwood or vinyl throughout the house a year ago then I was laid off. Started the process again and lead times an issue on some products but prices haven't really increased like I was expecting
scd88
AG
Just got 740 SF of a US manufactured LVP with 4 sections of T moulding for about $4.40/SF including tax. I think the manufacturer is Republic. Ordered it today.

Maybe that helps you with some real time data.
AggieEE2002
AG
Kinda makes sense that if wood is crazy expensive demand for alternatives would go up. I'd just wait it out. Prices have to start coming down soon. Right?
ChoppinDs40
AG
In an inflationary environment, commodities are the first to pop. Anyone noticed prices at the gas pump lately?

For all of those that voted for sleepy Joe and kommie Kamala, this is what it got you.
Agzonfire
I have heard of Builder's being 6-8 weeks back ordered on vinyl flooring and was told yesterday to expect it to get worse.
htxag09
AG
Maybe builder grade stuff. As I said in my previous post, we're looking at doing flooring throughout the house. So about 2,000 sq foot. Issues with a couple lower level made in China floors. But everything we looked at is in stock and ready to go. Mainly looking at Shaw core tech for vinyl.
Agzonfire
Ah, that's right. They were specifically speaking about builder grade, slow boat from China flooring. Glad that there are plenty of options to choose from, all of the different material shortages are hard to keep up with.
scd88
AG
Buy US made products. It takes some work to find then and costs more but it's worth it.
htxag09
AG
More point of reference, just went to lumber liquidators, engineered hardwoods in general had a lead time of 1-2 months. Vinyl was in stock for most
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.