Green algae in pool - frustration

3,624 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ag1997Chem
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've got green algae in my hot tub (has yet to migrate to the pool, but that's not far off...) Things I've done:

-Really good chlorine tablets with algicide in them is my normal stuff and it's topped off

-Cleaned out filter grids and replaced DE

-Clorox brand pool shock/algicide

-No Mor Problems brand water clarifier and algicide

-Constant brushing with nylon brush and now brushing with stainless bristle brush

I just cannot get this stuff to go away.

What's the nuclear option?? I want to get it right before we start getting in it for the summer.
Maverick06
AG
Interested in this as well. Recent rains have jacked my pool up.
GigEmAgs08
AG
I'd recommend you check the alkalinity and pH. Likely one of these is off. I had same problem when my alkalinity dropped to 0. I had to dump a bag of baking soda in the pool.
DiskoTroop
GigEmAgs08 said:

I'd recommend you check the alkalinity and pH. Likely one of these is off. I had same problem when my alkalinity dropped to 0. I had to dump a bag of baking soda in the pool.

Is that a thing? Can I do that?
DiskoTroop
just tested and my pH is too high. Gotta get some acid...
VictoriaAg01
AG
I get a lot of phosphates in my pool when everything is blooming and no matter much chlorine I add I cannot get rid of it until I handle the phosphates issue. I use Phosfree a few times and its good to go.
Martin Q. Blank
phideaux_2003 said:

I've got green algae in my hot tub (has yet to migrate to the pool, but that's not far off...) Things I've done:

-Really good chlorine tablets with algicide in them is my normal stuff and it's topped off

-Cleaned out filter grids and replaced DE

-Clorox brand pool shock/algicide

-No Mor Problems brand water clarifier and algicide

-Constant brushing with nylon brush and now brushing with stainless bristle brush

I just cannot get this stuff to go away.

What's the nuclear option?? I want to get it right before we start getting in it for the summer.
Chlorine tablet raises the cyanuric acid level which makes your chlorine ineffective. It doesn't matter how much chlorine you use, it will still grow algae. Only thing you can do to lower the cyanuric acid level is to replace the water.
IronMan92
AG
Read this website https://www.troublefreepool.com/blog/

What Martin stated is correct. Your CYA level is too high. Drain some water to get the CYA to a manageable level and bring your chlorine to shock level using liquid chlorine. You have to maintain shock level until you do not lose any chlorine levels overnight.

Using pucks slowly increases your CYA until chlorine is ineffective (chlorine lock). If you continue to use pucks, you just have to be diligent in watching your CYA levels and drain your pool from time to time.
DiskoTroop
Ok good to know. How much should I drain it? We talking a lot? 25%?

How much? I realize that's probably impossible to answer but on the off chance there's some kind of rule of thumb I figured I'd ask.
'03ag
You have to know your CYA level first. Really simple. If your CYA is 80...drain half your pool, refill, and the new level will be 40.

Trouble is a CYA level above 100 will register at 100. So if you see 100 then you don't really know how high it is.
wcb
AG
Same thing - algae along the corners of the spa. Scrubbed it like crazy. Shocked it. Finally went to Leslie's to test the water. Scored a 50. Working to get it back in balance and it's already looking better.
KDubAg
AG
I couldn't get rid of algae before. Then I stopped using tablets and/or pucks and started using just liquid chlorine . No algae anymore.
'03ag
A 50 on what? The CYA? That's not that high, but it does mean you need to maintain a constant chlorine level of around 6 to prevent algae growth. And "shock" level of chlorine is closer to 20. These are two things Leslie generally won't tell you. They'll just keep telling you to periodically shock it with no guideline as to what that means. And it's a temporary fix
Absolute
AG
+1 for the trouble free pool method. Messed around with all the Leslie stuff last season learning with my first pool. Got it into significantly better shape than it was when we purchased.

As a learned more and tested more accurately, I figured out the cya problem. Kept chlorine high with liquid chlorine over the off season and water looks great. But knew my cya was 100.

Drained about 60% a few weeks ago and no have the cya at around 40. Going to follow the tfp method this year. Actually just ordered a automated liquid chlorine dispenser today.
akaggie05
AG
Another vote for trouble free pool. The pucks will mess you up in no time, with CYA levels constantly on the rise and needing to drain down water to get it diluted out. And in the meantime, as your CYA levels rise, the chlorine in the water is becoming less and less effective. It's a vicious cycle.

Of course, pool service companies will laugh at you if you talk about trouble free pool, or liquid chlorine. Why? It isn't compatible with their business model, despite it being a superior system. They make money by stopping by once a week, brushing for a few minutes, and topping off the puck feeder. It's easy. The use of liquid chlorine requires near-daily testing and small additions of liquid to keep the pool in the ideal range. Spending 5-10 minutes a day can save you lots of money in the long run, and also result in a much cleaner pool.

Regarding pool store testing... Leslie's, etc... that is not recommended either. Their tests have been shown to be wildly inaccurate (especially the digital meters). Many tales out there of folks taking water samples collected on the same day to different stores and getting wildly different readings. You need to get a good test kit (Taylor K-2006C is what I use) and do the most basic tests (pH and free chlorine) near daily. You can go out a bit longer on other items such as total alkalinity, and even longer still on CYA (especially if you aren't jacking it up with pucks) and calcium hardness.

Regarding algaecides and other "pool store" chemicals that usually come highly recommended when you get your water tested... don't go there either. You especially want to stay away from anything with copper or other metals. Metals will build up in the pool, and just like CYA, you aren't getting it out without draining down. Copper buildup is also the cause of blonde hair getting turned green (used to be blamed on "too much chlorine").
BigNastyNate
AG
I'll say this about the trouble free pool method... it works, and if you're having issues getting rid of algae, their method will get you back on track in no time.

However as the poster above mentioned, you have to test and add small doses of mainly liquid chlorine almost daily... especially if you have a big pool. My pool is 33,000+ gallons. If you don't stay on top of daily, especially when it gets hot, you will have algae growth quick!

I' have 4 kids, work a lot, and travel a lot in the summer. I've shifted to a hybrid of the TFP method and pucks to keep things in check, especially in the summer, when I can't tend to it daily for whatever reason.
'03ag
This is why I'm going to install the liquidator this year.
DiskoTroop
So yeah sounds like I'm not going liquid chlorine any time soon other.

I took a water sample to Pinch A Penny here in Kingwood and Tom got me fixed up.

1/2 gal muriatic acid, (wait two hours), 5 lbs of shock, a good brushing, 36oz algicide and run the equipment all night. We'll see in the morning.
agcivengineer
AG
Another trouble free pool devotee here. I run a rola chem rc303 liquid chlorine dispenser. It works great. I only use tabs for the purpose of raising my CYA as needed with the target of 40 - 50.

Then use trouble free pool targets for pH, Alkalinity, CH and free chlorine based on CYA levels.

The only chemicals i add are: liquid chlorine, muriatic acid (pH reduction) and baking soda (alkalinity increase).

I test my own water 1 / week and maybe 2 / week. I add acid on weekend and wednesday.

If you have algae, get on trouble free pool and follow their SLAM process.
'03ag
More details on your dispenser setup? When I google rc303 I only get the pump.
agcivengineer
AG
So i have a 35 gallon tank which i dump liquid chlorine into. I buy 10 gallons at a time. The rola chem is connected to my electronics so it turns on when the pool pump is on. It feeds from the chlorine tank into the pvc return line after the heater.

I can increase chlorine feed by either increasing the feed rate or increasing pool pump time.

Make sure and get the right chlorine pump. They have different models. Pretty sure the rc 303 is the right one.
agcivengineer
AG
Or you can get the RC-25/53 SC version. They are the same one. The RC 303 was pretty gard to find, especially the version that connected hard wire into my electronics. You can also get one that just plugs in, but you want it connected so it only turns on when your pool pump is running.
KDubAg
AG
Absolute said:

+1 for the trouble free pool method. Messed around with all the Leslie stuff last season learning with my first pool. Got it into significantly better shape than it was when we purchased.

As a learned more and tested more accurately, I figured out the cya problem. Kept chlorine high with liquid chlorine over the off season and water looks great. But knew my cya was 100.

Drained about 60% a few weeks ago and no have the cya at around 40. Going to follow the tfp method this year. Actually just ordered a automated liquid chlorine dispenser today.

Which auto liquid chlorine dispenser did you order?
Tormentos
AG
I will echo what the others say, I have been following the trouble free liquid chlorine method for some years now. During peak summer months I will do a tab/ liquid chlorine hybrid.

Once you get to know your pool and typical chlorine burn rate for various seasons of the year I find your don't need daily testing or dosing with liquid chlorine. I top off my liquid chlorine about twice a week (taking it to the high side of the range) and then letting it drift downwards over a few days. I haven't had algae issues in years once I switched over.

For you guys in Houston where are you buying your bleach? I see pinch a penny has 2.5 gallon refills but I haven't used that yet.
KDubAg
AG
Tormentos said:

For you guys in Houston where are you buying your bleach? I see pinch a penny has 2.5 gallon refills but I haven't used that yet.

I usually get my liquid chlorine from HD or Lowe's. Usually sold in a case of three 1 gallons or case of four 1 gallons.
agchino
AG
Wal Mart sells a 10% bleach like Lowes and HD under the brand "pool essentials" for pretty cheap, but I don't have a price off hand.

Liquid chlorine is cheap, but you might have some "sticker shock" at first in that even with a higher percentage bleach, you may still be dumpling 2 gallons a week into the pool depending on usage.

I was kind of naively expecting to buy like 10 gallons for the summer when I went trouble free, and I quickly learned it was a good idea to snag a gallon or two every grocery or Lowe's run.
agcivengineer
AG
I use pinch a penny 2.5 gallon jugs. They are 1.5 miles from my house. Every 10th fill up is free.
IronMan92
AG
I use Pinch a Penny also. You have to buy the jugs the first time and then just pay for refills after that. I usually go through 3 - 2.5 gallon jugs per week during the summer.
'03ag
Where'd you get your tank? Did you buy all your own fittings to make it work, or is there a kit somewhere?
Absolute
AG
KDubAg said:

Absolute said:

Which auto liquid chlorine dispenser did you order?

My pool guy buddy who recommended the tfp method told me to get the liquidator. Thought I found a source yesterday but didn't have a lot of time and their website was clunky. Will try again today. Most site say out of stock.

Have researched a bit, and that setup seems the simplest since it doesn't require electricity, it runs off the pump basically. Also doesn't take up a whole lot of space. Tfp site also had some info on a setup From stenner (?). Seems similar to the setup mentioned above.

Expecting this year to be a bit of a learning curve and requiring a little more work learning how my pool responds to summer conditions.
Absolute
AG
Was able to order it today from a place called discount poolmart in CA. Will report back to verify that it comes.
'03ag
The nice thing about the stenner pump listed above is you can specify an amount of chlorine to dispense daily. Whereas with the liquidator you are using the needle valves to dial it in yourself.

I'm torn. The liquidator is cheaper(already comes with tank) and requires no wiring. But harder to dial in or change if needed.
agcivengineer
AG
I was lucky and had a friend moving who didnt need it anymore, so they gave it to me. You need to find a basic tank that can hold about 15 - 20 gallons. Mine is 35 and its too big for me, but it doesnt matter much.
ChevyAg
AG
Sorry for your algae problem, OP. This is great information. We are in the process of getting our pool built, gunite was sprayed Tuesday of this week. We currently have the Chlorine tab dispenser installed but I am now questioning this. I will look up the TFP method for sure. Do you guys think it is worth it to get the equipment changed now rather than later on? How difficult will it be to change down the road? I don't want to delay our install anymore than it already has been.
redag06
phideaux_2003 said:

So yeah sounds like I'm not going liquid chlorine any time soon other.

I took a water sample to Pinch A Penny here in Kingwood and Tom got me fixed up.

1/2 gal muriatic acid, (wait two hours), 5 lbs of shock, a good brushing, 36oz algicide and run the equipment all night. We'll see in the morning.
If you are using Pinch A Penny you really should switch over to their liquid chlorine shock. It is cheaper and works better than the powder shock.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.