Driveway damage

3,468 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jason_InfinityRoofer
bullard21k
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Amazon truck backed off the side of our driveway and took some big chunks out of it will trying to get it towed out of the ditch.

We filed a claim and they wanted an estimate of how much to repair it. Any ballpark guesses?

Or better yet and Aggie concrete recommendations?

Aggietaco
AG
It will never look the same, but assuming no real structural damage, that's like $10 worth of mortar and an hour of time to patch it.
AG Custom
AG
Considering that is the intern, quite a bit more cost than normal driveway. Plus depending on where you are it could require permit and inspection for the tie in of the street after removal and setting up to repour.

Damage isn't structural by any means and other than looking unappealing for now (it will be less noticeable as it fades over time) it wont get any worse with normal traffic on it. I would say ball park of around $3-5/sqft to jack hammer and remove/haul off and around $6-10/sqft to repour plus any needed permit and inspections if required.

I know that is a big range of prices but it is a pretty small job in big scope of concrete work.

To add to Aggietaco - he is correct, you certainly can concrete patch it but it will certainly be discolored, broom pattern will not match and it will honestly IMO make it stand out more.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Weather is going to cause that to further erode over time. Get it professionally fixed, not just patched.
nhamp07
AG
Looks like more of a horrible driveway design than anything. Poor amazon driver going to get fired for your curve with a 5 inch drop with no concrete.
bullard21k
AG
nhamp07 said:

Looks like more of a horrible driveway design than anything. Poor amazon driver going to get fired for your curve with a 5 inch drop with no concrete.

City of Houston issue. The ditches are extremely deep and they keep dredging them
bullard21k
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Weather is going to cause that to further erode over time. Get it professionally fixed, not just patched.

Yes this is my concern. Certainly not looking for a pay day by any means but also want it done correctly.
YellAg2004
AG
How is the weather going to erode the concrete?

I'm in the camp of just let it go. Trying to do any patching or replacement is just going to make it stand out more, and those differences in color and texture will be permanent whereas the fresh gouges will darken from exposure/dirt over the coming months.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I'm in the let it go camp. It's chipped. It's not like it's cracked all the way through across the entire driveway.
Post removed:
by user
Premium
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I'm in the let it go camp. It's chipped. It's not like it's cracked all the way through across the entire driveway.

Maybe Amazon would send a $500-1,000 credit or something. Would rather have that than the driveway fixed.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
I am NOT a concrete guy, obviously, but we've dealt with issues like this while GC large commercial projects. There is no 'patch' or "fix" short of digging up and repouring that as far as I know. Is there a way other than that to fix it and actually have the fix work in the long term?

While it does suck, I don't think I'd lose any sleep over it. I'd let it ride, and then (like suggested above) hit up amazon for a bunch of credits and free stuff. Seriously. Once that fresh concrete ages/weathers, you won't even notice it.
https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
Picard
AG
You're gonna get an extra month of Prime for free and that's it
agcivengineer
AG
Im a concrete guy. I would not file a claim, nor would i recommend doing anything to it. Its not structural, it wont deteriorate over time, weather wont affect it. If you want a fix, go buy a small bag patch material (something with a polymer in it), buy a trowel, mix in some water and patch it. The patch will not look the same color and may not remain durable. Remove and replace wont perform any better over time, and in fact it would likely perform worse due to a joint being there. Id leave it alone.
mosdefn14
AG
Have a concrete guy come out and build you a curb, or take out that curve...
CapCity12thMan
AG
I wouldn't lose any sleep over that. Over time it will just be part of the concrete and you won't notice it as much. you will, but nobody else will
Post removed:
by user
Garrelli 5000
AG
Built our last home and 3 or 4 years in I walked out one day after the 2nd ice storm in 6 weeks and noticed something funny in the driveway. We had a pebble finish and it was wearing away. 2 weeks later I could grab a handfull of concrete/pebble, particularly where the wheels would pivot as we backed out/turned to drive away going forward.

A week later rebar was exposed.

The builder filed it as a structural warranty and replace it - they said the concrete "froze" or something like that during the initial curing process.

They only tore out/replaced the middle of the drive. 7 years later it still hadn't caught up in color to the original parts still available and looked like I had a 12x15 off color square in the middle of the driveway.

Point being - don't fix it for cosmetic reasons. Rub some dirt on the scratches and move along. Since there is no structural damage you'll be more disappointed in the aesthetics of any repair unless you replace the entire driveway.
Take the trash out staff.
YellAg2004
AG
Sasappis said:

Go buy a couple of yards of dirt and get it fixed right. That is a bad design and wheel falling into that hole again will happen. Build up the dirt to the concrete and slope it down appropriately.
Since there is no curb, it's just open ditch drainage. Unless you just happen to be the high point along the street with the ditches on either side of your driveway draining away, I'm guessing there is a culvert under the driveway, so filling the backslope up with dirt likely isn't an option.
agcivengineer
AG
I forgot to add, that curve is very likely to crack from the curve to the road. That design is bad, but builders like the look of it.
OutdoorAg
AG
Get it fixed! Those scratches in the concrete really take away form the aesthetics of the weeds surrounding it.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Build a little retaining wall on the downhill side as tall as driveway and backfill in between with dirt, then put fabric and rock of your choosing. This will cover up the chips and be more functional. Do it on both sides to match.
mAgnoliAg
AG
And yes I'm a "concrete guy" and all patches either do not color match or will chip away over time. Cutting entire egress out and repairing is not a good idea
SCHTICK00
AG
Leave it alone. Anything you do to repair will be more obvious and unsightly than the damage short of full driveway replacement. There are patches that will bond and hold for a while, but the dark gray from them will be uglier than the damage that will blend over time. There's nothing structural to worry about. I'd get some money out of Amazon for having to look at it and over time it won't matter
bdb85
AG
Let it go. That is not the last time somebody will drive off that cliff you got.
AgEngineer72
AG
The pictures I was able to see must be bad- I don't see any damage. All I see is a couple minor chips and a scratch or two. There's nothing to repair. Tell Amazon the claim is $100 for patch and then put the money in your pocket as compensation for your trouble. If the bright colored scratches irritate you dampen a little of that Houston dirt and rub it into them.
6.5 Swede
Attache a guard rail and teach those Amazon drivers!

Pull the f'n weeds! That looks worse than the minor damage!
Bonfire97
AG
Go to harbor freight and get a concrete grinder head for an angle grinder (have used one to strip peeling concrete paint off a porch and they work great). Use that to reshape and blend the edge. Then, tell Amazon to give you a $250 gift card and you'll settle. That's a win-win.
aTm2004
AG
Get you some of these bad boys, bury them about 6" deep and the Amazon guy will learn to look before dropping off the cliff and scratching your concrete.

neAGle96
AG
Get an estimate and Amazon will send you a check.

Our driveway has a couple turns over 300 ft. Last fall an Amazon driver drove all the way up to our garage (instead of stopping near our front door) and tried to turn around. Instead of doing a 3 point turn, our security video showed him driving through our side and front yard (over 120 feet) before he got back onto the driveway.

Unfortunately, he ran over 4 sprinkler heads and 2 sprinkler valves when he drove across the lawn. We called Amazon told them we had video of their driver, and within a couple days someone from their claims department called and asked that we submit a bid for the repairs to get reimbursed. They sent a check about a month after we submitted the bid.
mosdefn14
AG
We've had Amazon pay a sprinkler guy a few times, rebuild a mailbox, and bring in dirt/sod.

I know they've got some real smart numbers folks, but I just can't imagine why they don't have a "Do not drive on the driveway" rule. Are they saving this much time at $15/hr avoiding walking (jogging) 50-100 feet?
Jason_InfinityRoofer
aTm2004 said:

Get you some of these bad boys, bury them about 6" deep and the Amazon guy will learn to look before dropping off the cliff and scratching your concrete.

Cute. This looks like something Karma would beat my tail end over. I'd totally end up getting one of those in my own tire.
https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.