New mold spots on ceiling

1,701 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
ttuhscaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Either these just popped up or I'm just noticing them for the first time this week after the recent freeze in Houston. I'm obviously worried about a leak in this 1950s ranch home with galvanized pipes. Anybody have any insights into what I'm dealing with . There's about 25 of these spots in an area of the kitchen. There's absolutely no crawl space through that part of the attic and I figure I'll have to get a contractor to come in and cut the ceiling out in that area to get to the bottom of things. Any other insights would be appreciated.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SweaterVest
AG
If they are new and you aren't having any other humidity issues in the house, I'd say there is a moisture source above. I'd pick up a cheap moisture meter and check the moisture level of the ceiling there and other areas of the house to compare. Its a useful tool that you'll use again at some point.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-Combo-Pin-and-Pinless-Moisture-Meter-for-Water-Damage-and-Mold-Prevention-MM9/303124004

ttuhscaggie
AG
Good idea, I'll give that a try.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JP76
What' is the roof like above ?

Flat/low pitch ?

Are there ridge vents above ?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Touch one and see.
ttuhscaggie
AG
It looks fairly conventional, I'd say 4:12 slope. There are ridge vents up top and large mesh covered vents cut along the soffits in that area. The area definitely doesn't feel wet but I've never dealt with fungus outside of the human body before so maybe that's normal.
TexAg1987
Looking closely at the Pic they all seem to be associated with the cracks. You need to get up there to see what is going on. Could have been storm (ice and snow) related.
ttuhscaggie
AG
I agree, that's what it's looking like. But it's located in an exterior corner of the kitchen and the crawl space is essentially inaccessible to me. I'm afraid I'll end up having to have someone cut the sheet rock out to get in there. I'm dreading it
ttuhscaggie
AG
After more dry wall ceiling cracks started appearing, looks like I've finally found my culprit. The 2x4 was saving the drywall from taking a direct hit apparently.

Now if I could only get ahold of a plumber in Houston.

BrazosDog02
AG
Glad you found it.

KILZ and color matched paint will make those spots go away.
Gilligan
AG
I was going to suggest cutting a bike tube and wrapping it tight, but I'd be afraid to make it worse.

Metal pipes. Ugh.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Well, time to burn the house down and start over
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.