Sealing a threaded pvc pipe

2,029 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by keo1
docb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Plumbing question. I had to replace my back flow on my irrigation system. Threaded pvc connection to brass female. Used Teflon tape put on clockwise wraps. Small drip leak at both connections. Used channel locks to tighten. Over tightening failure?
ftworthag02
AG
how many times did you go around w/ teflon? We use rectorseal t plus 2 pipe dope
docb
AG
Probably 3 wraps is all. I'll see if I can find what you recommended
Builder93
AG
Those brass to pvc fittings can be really irritating. I second rector and tape. You also might try a sch 80 fitting.
mAgnoliAg
AG
docb said:

Probably 3 wraps is all. I'll see if I can find what you recommended

Probably not enough. Our guys used to use pipe dope but it started causing issues downstream. We removed all the pipe dope from every truck and only use Teflon tape now and haven't had issues with leaks
rancher1953
Around the ranch and all my neighbors use BLUE MAGIC Industrial Grade Thread Sealant by Whitlam. Attached is thread. Use this and no leaks. You can use a couple of wraps of teflon tape also. I just use the sealant and not leaks. I learned this a few years ago from an old master plumber. Attached is link

BLUE MAGIC Industrial Grade Thread Sealant (jcwhitlam.com)
JP76
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Monster-Sealant/1000255339

I've used this for years and have never had any leaks compared to standard white Teflon.
BrazosDog02
AG
4 - 6 wraps if using thin cheap tape, if I'm using something like the thick grey which looks like that monster blue stuff, then I'll use less. I've actually started using the soft set pipe dope and have gotten it to seal on stuff I've hand tightened. That's my go to now but you have to be incredibly careful a bout not getting it inside the pipe if you have sensitive things that can get clogged.

I had a couple of drips when I did my galvanized hard line in my well house when I installed brand new pipe. However, I used pipe dope and every single one sealed up in 24 hours. I've rarely had that happen with Teflon but I guess it's possible.
Dr. Venkman
AG
docb said:

Plumbing question. I had to replace my back flow on my irrigation system. Threaded pvc connection to brass female. Used Teflon tape put on clockwise wraps. Small drip leak at both connections. Used channel locks to tighten. Over tightening failure?
Possibly. You should only hand tighten and then 1/2 turn with a wrench.
docb
AG
Rector seal worked as advertised. I'll never buy Teflon tape again!
keo1
AG
3-5 wraps, hand tighten tight and 1/2 to one full turn with wrench and install.
Keo1 Landscaping and Irrigating BCS since '91 If its growing we can mow it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.