Wet area of lawn

1,317 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Corps Turd
Corps Turd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would love any ideas here...I have an area in my lawn that that tends to stay wet after rainfall while the rest of the yard drys out. I have a few surface drains as well as French drains along the fence line. I don't have any sprinkler valves nearby the area and the sprinkler system works fine in this zone. The area is more or less a 15 foot circle and everything around its perimeter is dry. I'm stumped whether I have a leak somewhere, or just poor draining soil composition. The grass is Zoysia and located in Dallas. Thanks for any ideas!

ftworthag02
AG
this happens only after a rain event?
Corps Turd
AG
Post rain event is the most pronounced, however also appears very damp after the sprinkler zone runs in this area.
ftworthag02
AG
It could be a result of the soil composition in that area but it could be a irrigation leak. Is your water meter moving? (with everything in the house turned off) Even though there might not be valves in that exact area, the mainline could be running right through that area.
aggiemike02
AG
likely a leak somewhere along your sprinkler lines between heads. could dig around a little and find the line likely without much hassle.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Don't think a leak would create a 15ft diameter wet spot. What's the radius of that sprinkler head?

Could just be the color contrast playing tricks, but that area does look a little low, as though it's retaining even just the slightest bit of water. I'm assuming very clayey soil?
Builder93
AG
I've seen this happen in an area that had been filled in years ago with different material than the surrounding area. Let's say there was a tree or something there a long time ago and someone took the tree out and dug up the roots. Then they got topsoil and filled it in. If the rest of the yard is mostly clay, then the water is going to percolate toward the looser topsoil fill and remain moist for quite a while. It doesn't matter if it's rain or irrigation.

I've seen areas like this turn into ground trampolines. It's creepy and cool at the same time.
Corps Turd
AG
Thx for replies...going to troubleshoot along these lines and see what I can determine!
mAgnoliAg
AG
If I were going to your house, I would trace your main irrigation line to see if it passes through the area. If it doesn't I would close all the nozzles on that zone and run it to check for lateral leaks. If none of that comes up successful, I would check elevations if it wasn't already evident that this is a low point (can't really tell from the picture).
Corps Turd
AG
To close this one out, Builder93 pretty much nailed it...variable soil composition in this area and no leaks. I had a series of drains installed and re-sodded the area.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.