Garage concrete issue

687 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Builder93
Dr. Doctor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I found this out the other day after the ice/cold snap. What would cause this and can I repair this? This is usually where the tire ends up, but not when I took the photo. Any help? Thanks.

~egon
dallasiteinsa02
Were your local roads salted?
Dr. Doctor
AG
No. I didn't really drive before the storm (I think to church, but that's surface streets).

This is NE Houston. Home built in 1987.

~egon
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Looks like the sealer flaked off. Weight, temp swings and time. Not sure what you do about it.

Or, maybe the slab is actually a shell and something is about to hatch. Good luck either way.
Builder93
AG
Looks like that spot probably got hot during the pour and wasn't kept wet enough in the heat and caused spiderweb cracks. Your tires probably dripped water, which got into the cracks and then froze. This is called spalling. Usually it's repaired by using a patching coat like Shep-Weld. The sticky issue is the weight of your tires repeatedly stressing the patch. All of the weak area needs to be removed and the underlying surface needs to be dust and chalk free. Then apply the patching compound and finish according to the instructions. It will show up as a patch. The only way to completely make it disappear is to do a floor coating. In fact a floor coating probably would have kept this from happening in the first place.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.