Pvc set up time

1,060 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by keo1
xMusashix
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have to replumb my pool piping after the freeze. On one section, I have three points of contact ( 1 inlet, two outlets), with 5 connections.

In order to do the connections, I need rotate the unit to make the connections. For 2" and 2.5" piping, how long can I rotate/slide glued connections, or is there a specific glue to use?

Looking at Oatey website I see a slow set heavy duty pvc glue but wasn't sure if that's he correct glue for the situation.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Zjones920
Use Oatey Rain or shine.. here's the cure chart
BrazosDog02
AG
I've used that cement for thousands of feet of plumbing from 1/2" to 2" and I can tell you that after you have held the connection for the prescribed about of time, you will not be able to move it again. I've glued joints and then put service pressure on them in less than 15 minutes and they have been in service for the last 10 years.

When you get your stuff cut and ready to glue, make sure you have your crap together.

If you'll take a pic, the board can help you with the order of operations and procedure so you can hopefully just do it once.
UmustBKidding
Pipe unions
The Fife
This right here. In my experience you've got maybe 10-15 seconds to rotate pipes at a connection and hold them together before it's not coming apart without a saw.
Sims
AG
I always use the blue glue on my PVC water connections. You have about as much time as a QB would looking at an unblocked Myles Garret on the other side of the line with the blue stuff.
xMusashix
AG
Preglue connections 2,3,4,5,6,7

Glue on the fly connections 1, 8,9,10,11

Rotate the assembly at 8,10 from slightly down to installed at connection 1 by rotating the unit up once installed at connection 9 and 11.

I tried a test piece of 2" and i don't think this works because it dries too fast (based upon the chart above I waited 2 minutes) to be able to rotate the joint at 8 and 10.

Seems like I might be resigned to unions at 9 and 11 unless y'all have a better suggestion. I haven't found a union for connection 1/2 due to parts availability (2.5").

BrazosDog02
AG
I'd glue everything and make 4 my second to last connection and 9 & 11 my last connection at the same time. There should be enough give in that system to make that happen. Measure carefully and glue liberally and prime the piss out of it before hand. Priming isn't just for cleaning. It will also create a soft media to glue when you get to places that can't be rotated to glue. Typically, a pipe goes into a fitting as far as it is in diameter. So 1" goes in 1", 3/4" goes in 3/4", etc. you can measure accurately this way.

If you don't think there is enough room then you should try a threaded fitting in a spot or two that will allow your assembly to rotate a little for the final glue.

I can assure you that your pool guy stuck it together in whatever fashion was quickest up to an including not seating fittings all the way. Lol.

Also, you can dig out everything that goes into the ground to get a little more flex if needed.

Also, as stated, unions would be very handy and encouraged. 2, 9, 11 would be my placement if I wanted it simple.
lb3
AG
I've never used any slow setting solvents. With the normal stuff you've can't count on more than about 8 seconds for the solvent to set up. Sometimes longer if cold and you you use a lot. But this isn't that difficult to do without a union.

Option one would be to leave 5 for last and use the threaded connection at the top of the pump to pivot the assembly into place. You will have to flex the valve a bit but It should be relatively painless.

Another option relies on having three vertical connections at 9, 11, and at the top of the pump. Glue up everything in between and then slide the entire assemble down on those three connections. It would help to have a partner if you have to do all three at the same time but isn't required if you can move fast. Most likely you will have enough flex to do the pump and valve ends separately.
keo1
AG
build 4-11 and set, then cut off schedule 80 fitting and measure and rebuild the rest, glue both ends and insert both into pipe.
Keo1 Landscaping and Irrigating BCS since '91 If its growing we can mow it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.