attic ladder install

1,980 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ChoppinDs40
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am wanting an attic ladder install done for some attic space in my garage. This is a net new install, not a replacement.

I haven't gotten a quote for less than $900, saying its a 2-man job (which I get for the lifting of it to lay it in place), but 2-man all day? I don't get it.

Planning on doing this myself and just get someone to help me lift it in place...

This seemed like a good reference video:

thoughts?

my joists are 24" on center. If I double those as suggested, I will need to notch them, as that is how they are resting on the ends - see pic:

rilloaggie
AG
I replaced an old rickety wooden pull down attic ladder by myself a few weeks ago. The old wooden ladder felt like it weighed double what the new aluminum one did. I was able to screw up 2 boards for it to rest on during the install and shove it up in the attic from below by myself. My house only has single joists on either side of the opening so not sure if doubling them up is 100% necessary or just a decent idea. Probably depends on how much weight you plan on putting up there and how often you see yourself using the ladder.

Screwed it in using the lag bolts it came with but I would recommend finding some good load rated screws with a star or square bit on them. The ones mine came with kind of sucked. Also, make sure you have a hacksaw or sawzall to cut the legs to length if needed. My kit was adjustable but you still had to cut a chunk of aluminum off the ladder to get it to fit correctly. All told I think I took out the old one and installed the new one in about an hour. Not a hard project to do yourself if you are reasonably fit and able to life ~ 60lbs over your head.
evestor1
For the average person 900 is a good deal. Not a terrible hard job, but it requires a decent amount of strength.

Also - in addition to screws please make sure to drive some nails in.
dragons06
AG
Ive installed two, once with help and once without. Significantly easier with help, awkward and challenging (but doable) by yourself. I wouldn't spend that much on having someone else install one, but I am cheap.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
1) Don't skimp on the quality of your ladder.

2) Watch this video:

3) Get a buddy to come over and help and pay him with a 6-pack.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Watched this one too
fka ftc
Might want to source your attic stair now. I got a call from a regional manager at McCoys this afternoon and we were discussing lumber prices and now looming stockouts, particularly on windows, doors... and attic staircases. We laughed about the oddity but they are projecting a heavy shortage on these.
barnacle bob
AG
I did mine solo a couple weeks ago, doable with some pre-planning, and staging of a step stool and drill.

I've done two, Werner fells like such a better product. I picked mine up at HD.

For the adjustable legs I used a cut off wheel on a grinder.

Have fun!
Dr. Doctor
AG
I had 2 of them; installed one with a pregnant wife in the garage around moving into my new house (2017).

Finally got around to installing the 2nd one in my son's room for the main house attic access (2019-2020).

There are temp straps you use to install the ladder; that is the part you need 2 people, but with the 1st one, I used tie-down straps. Pulled it up and got it 'close', then had the wife push a little to get it in place (level on the bottom).

I would suggest to not install as much of the ladder when getting the frame installed. Also, use 1/4" lag screws, not nails. It uses 14 or 16 lag screws. I used sheetrock scres for the temp straps to hold it up.

Don't have photos of original, but it was all wood, spring ladder from 1987. Screws/bolts half lost/half loose that I had to constantly tighten.

New ladder

The staple gun guy went a little crazy

Finished

I bought mine on Amazon; about $150 each.

~egon
62strat
AG
I plan to add one in my garage as well, DIY. I have a scaffold though, so that makes it a ton easier when by yourself.

If you don't have a scaffold, get one. I went in only $30 with a handful of my neighbors and we found a barely used one on Craigslist for all of us to share. Best $30 ever. I used it to hang a 4x8 wire rack in my garage the other weekend, talk about a breeze.

It's like 6x3 x 6' H, like this

Breaks down to 5 pieces and take up very little space.

Aggie71013
AG
I need to replace one soon. Bolt is coming out and worried about getting water heaters down, which need to be replaced soon.
Chase
AG
Did one maybe 18 months ago with no help other than an assist when using the temp hanging straps. Biggest problem is that it is awkward to handle the weight/footprint combo for a single person.

I went with the best wooden one they had in stock at McCoys. I liked the idea of a quick drop down aluminum one but to get one rated as high on weight cost significanrly more when I bought mine.

Any questions, just ask and good luck!
FIDO 03
AG
The only thing I can add is that when I added a attic ladder to my garage that did not previously have one, I wish I would have temporarily shored up the joists with some 2x4s before cutting the joist/opening. I have an old 1960's garage and it has 2x6 joists at 20" centers and felt like the joists sagged after cutting the opening. (It could have been sagging before and I just didn't notice it). I did not double up any existing joists but I did do double perpendicular 2x6 headers and then a new single 2x6 parallel to the joists, in between the double headers to frame the rough opening.
ChoppinDs40
AG
For a nice insulated aluminum one, materials alone are $500. $900 seems like a good deal to me.
cena05
AG
Where are you located and what companies were you looking at to get the job done?

Looking to install one in my garage and I want to make sure it is ok structurally.
CapCity12thMan
AG
$900 was just labor
CapCity12thMan
AG
Austin TX
rilloaggie
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

For a nice insulated aluminum one, materials alone are $500. $900 seems like a good deal to me.

Should be about half that cost for the ladder unless you need something telescoping or custom. Werner/Louisville seem to all be around $250 or less for 375lb rated aluminum ladders with insulated and weatherstripped doors.
ChoppinDs40
AG
rilloaggie said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Should be about half that cost for the ladder unless you need something telescoping or custom. Werner/Louisville seem to all be around $250 or less for 375lb rated aluminum ladders with insulated and weatherstripped doors.
just bought one directly from a distributor through my builder (adding a 2nd one to my garage) - it is for a 12' ceiling
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.