Patio furniture repair

542 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by malenurse
malenurse
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bought some cheap patio furniture off Facebook Market place. As you can see, some repairs have already been done on the feet. Two of the chairs rock badly because of feet issues. One, I can probably repair by putting a new foot with some spacers inside for the proper length. The last shot shows some deterioration on the foot. Looking for some advice on how to repair that foot.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
agnerd
AG
Last picture is rust through. Nothing you can do but cut it off and try to replace it. That metal is so thin, it can be difficult to weld without warping and making it even worse, so welding a tube on to replace the cut-off metal probably wouldn't work well. If it were my chair, I'd probably try to find a piece of PVC pipe that would fit inside the metal tube, and a cap or fitting for the pipe that the bottom of the cut chair foot would rest on. Cut to the correct length and try to super glue or epoxy it to the metal before painting. So basically a plug for the foot that would return it to original height.

edit: Or the simpler and easier answer: Cut the other 3 legs to the same length, and paint the end to prevent rust.
agnerd
AG
And take off those rubber pads that were added. They caused the rust through by allowing water to sit inside the foot and eat away at it. Those are for inside chairs. There needs to at least be a hole in the bottom to allow water to drain. Or better yet, some thing like the original plug that allows water to flow down the leg and onto the ground.
lawless89
Cut the other three legs the same length as the rusted leg. Profit.
malenurse
AG
You can be sure that has already been considered
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.