Hvac condensation line

1,067 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by howdydamnit04
howdydamnit04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got 2 new systems back in Dec. One of them has an line Diverstech sensor which I think it's the automatic shutoff for the unit if it sense water but it is on the primary line not the drain from the pan where I'd expect it. Is that right.

Noticed this after the house felt wrong this afternoon and found a pan full of water. I'm guessing my emergency drain and primary are clogged? This was the first really humid and warm day I can remember since the units were installed.
howdydamnit04
AG
Nevermind. Looks like one of these:

https://jacksonsystems.com/product/diversitech-cs-1-condensate-drain-line-switch-tee/?gclid=CjwKCAiAm-2BBhANEiwAe7eyFBOC89SDrkZYSEDZ0hLg9CDp3EmGHpzwpILg9G7YLo0XxJEDze-VtRoCLWIQAvD_BwE

So in that case it's just looking to see if the main line is full and if that's not tripping I don't know why it would be flowing into the pan. Got the installers coming out tomorrow.
evan_aggie
AG
Where does your drain line go? Do you know by chance?

Sometimes they go into your kitchen or bathroom sink drain with a T fitting and it gets completely clogged, backing up water and then going to your drain pan.

Your drain pan would then possibly have a drain line as well. On my current home only one condensate line with a safety floater cut off.

On my previous home the safety was in the pan itself. It never cut off but the pan was full for maybe a couple of weeks and draining on the side of my home. I finally put two and two together when frogs started living on the side Bc it was that damp/wet.
howdydamnit04
AG
Main drain goes to the upstairs bathroom sink. Water is flowing clear there. I actually took the clean out cap off the main drain and poured some of the water from the pan into there and it drained without a problem. The pans drain line goes outside through an eve. Nothing was coming out last night so line is obviously clogged.

I think this is multiple problem type of fun.
evan_aggie
AG
So your AC is in fact shutting off? Wasn't sure when you said your home was warm/humid.
howdydamnit04
AG
It was weird. I think it was just the large pool of water over my game room that made it feel humid in that room. As soon as I bailed the water out it felt better down there.

The AC guy came out and blew out my emergency line so it is now draining clear.

The primary line was always draining fine, but for some reason when the cap was on the clean out (on the top of the p trap), water went into the pan. As soon as the cap was removed water went back into the main drain. I asked him to talk to the manufacturer since that seems like a huge design flaw if that is working as intended.
evan_aggie
AG

Might be a bad install? Usually drain and pee trap is up to the installer.

Where is your p trap vs vent? Why was there a cap on vent? If capped, could be that it was too much back pressure on the hvac and it would go to path of least resistance.
BrazosDog02
AG
If you have a vent tee that is capped, then its not a vent at all. Its a capped tee. There should not be a cap on that. It will not function with a cap, or at least not function well. I RARELY see 'traps' as in the photo above. Usually, they just roll straight out to the drain, which is not great.
ABATTBQ11
AG
evan_aggie said:

Might be a bad install? Usually drain and pee trap is up to the installer.

Where is your p trap vs vent? Why was there a cap on vent? If capped, could be that it was too much back pressure on the hvac and it would go to path of least resistance.

Note that this is for a "push" system where the fan pushes air over the coil and the coil is under positive pressure. Water is pushed out of the drain. In a "pull" system where the fan pulls air over the coil, the coil is under negative pressure. The trap setup is slightly different for negative pressure because the outlet side the trap needs to be lower than the inlet side. If they're even, the negative pressure can keep water from flowing out because once the trap is full, you have suction. General rule of thumb is 2" of drop and 2" of trap.
howdydamnit04
AG
Mine is more like this one I just googled, except right now the cap is off the cleanout. It goes AC Unit - Shutoff Valve - Cleanout at top of PTrap - Bottom of PTrap - Main Drain Line - Float Shutoff Switch. I have some noise making water alarms now in all the pans in my attic and as soon as it gets hot again I'm going to keep a close eye on them.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.