Favorite PEX Fitting

1,741 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jaggiemaggie
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to replumb a few lines in my house with Pex and want some feedback on pex fitting types. Specifically crimp/cinch/expansion
BigRedAg18
Expansion (Uponor) pex is the most popular among plumbers due to ease of use. It's more forgiving and more flexible. The biggest issue with type B (crimp) pex is that the fittings constrict the flow since they're smaller than the pipe size, so it's a good idea to size up everything if you go that route.
FatZilla
AG
uponor pex is the expansion fittings.
txag2008
AG
FatZilla said:

uponor pex is the expansion fittings.

This. Use this.
AgProgrammer
AG
I've always just used the copper crimp rings because that's what Home Depot and Lowe's has. I'd love to use Uponor, just not sure where to get the pex pipe and fittings around BCS.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Any recommendations for an expansion tool? The electrics seem asinine in terms of pricing..
n_touch
Supply house is a good online place. Any plumbing supply place should also carry them and they should be cheaper than the stuff from the big box stores. It was nice not having to fight the lines after the freeze at plumbing supply while everyone was trying to get to Lowe's or HD.
n_touch
I went with the Dewalt since I already had some of their other tools. Found it was cheaper than the Milwaukee one as well. Good thing is if you finish and want to sell it, it will probably move fast and retaking value.
txaggie79
AG
I have done quite a bit of re-piping with PEX. I use the copper crimp rings and have had no issues at all, but the only reason I chose that method was because the tools were inexpensive. Never had a leak or issues with water flow.

However, one drawback is that the crimper becomes a bit challenging to use in a cramped area. You need enough room to spread the handles, and while you don't have to be Hercules to make the crimp, when you are laying on your stomach or back in a attic or under a house, it becomes a bit awkward. Sometimes you can plan around this by making up your fittings first, then sliding the pipe so that the next connection is in a more accessible area.

Knowing what I know now, I would go with the Uponor expansion fittings. I don't live in BCS, but gosh, I would think that PEX A and Uponor fittings would be readily available somewhere locally, as it is widely used by professionals.
AgProgrammer
AG
I haven't been able to find anyone local in BCS that sells Uponor. That was the sole reason I've used the crimp style is because if I need to fix or replace something, I don't want to have to wait for it to come in from online when I can just run over to the big box store and have it in 30 minutes.
Caliber
AG
If you can borrow the expansion tool from someone, do that for a big project.

I have a pex crimper that i used to redo our master bathroom. When i redo the rest of the house, I'm going to borrow my uncles Dewalt Expander tool to use Pex A.

Any repairs can still be done with my crimp rings in an emergency. You can Crimp Pex A with no issues. You just can't expand other PEX.
Stryke_Too
AgProgrammer said:

I haven't been able to find anyone local in BCS that sells Uponor. That was the sole reason I've used the crimp style is because if I need to fix or replace something, I don't want to have to wait for it to come in from online when I can just run over to the big box store and have it in 30 minutes.
After consulting Google, I found that Moore Supply, Morrison Supply and Ferguson are Uponor distributors. All in B/CS. I do not know if they have it in stock.
keo1
AG
AgProgrammer said:

I've always just used the copper crimp rings because that's what Home Depot and Lowe's has. I'd love to use Uponor, just not sure where to get the pex pipe and fittings around BCS.
Morrison's or ferguson's
Keo1 Landscaping and Irrigating BCS since '91 If its growing we can mow it
jaggiemaggie
AG
Does Ferguson sell to general public? I need some brass tee's and supply house is currently sold out of them
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.