Zip Board vs standard house wrap

1,616 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dtkprowler
dtkprowler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our builder just reached out and let us know that zip board has gone through the roof (pun intended). He is recommending using a standard OSB + House wrap sheeting.

1.) Does anyone on here have any insight if it truly has gone up so much more vs standard OSB.

2.) Is there any major concern about going standard house wrap instead of zip board? He is saying it is much cheaper.
AgProgrammer
AG
It's basically OSB with an air barrier on one side. They typically use Zip tape between the seams to keep it more airtight.

Are you doing spray foam or traditional batt insulation? It doing foam, you're getting your airtight air barrier that way and it doesn't make much of a difference.
rondis23
AG
I have always wanted to go with a ZIP exterior sheathing product in our builds, but could not justify the cost in the past. OSB has doubled, tripled...maybe even quadrupled in cost over the last year? I would assume ZIP products would've gone up as well?
AgProgrammer
AG
Zip is currently running about $41/board compared to $34/board for standard 7/16 OSB.
dtkprowler
AG
Thanks for the replies! Sounds like it is up but not astronomically more. But over the entire house could amount to a big difference.
AgProgrammer
AG
About $400/bundle more and then the builder usually charges more on install since they also have to tape and roll the seams. So it can definitely be thousands of dollars more for a house.
dtkprowler
AG
Thanks for the info! Really do appreciate it!
Corps_Ag12
AG
AgProgrammer said:

About $400/bundle more and then the builder usually charges more on install since they also have to tape and roll the seams. So it can definitely be thousands of dollars more for a house.

Which is dumb if you think about it because house wrap is much more work to install than just taping seams.
bkag9824
AG
Sounds like your builder didn't update their cost sheet. . .

I'd politely ask they use the zip per contract. Next thing you know "the windows we originally specked have gone through the roof lately. Mind if we use this other product?" Or "plumbing supplies have really gone through the roof lately because of the freeze. Mind if we use this cpvc instead of pex?"
AgProgrammer
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

AgProgrammer said:

Which is dumb if you think about it because house wrap is much more work to install than just taping seams.
I don't disagree with you. The truth is that anything "out of the norm" typically ends up costing more. Low hanging fruit for up-charges.
TxAgg07
AG
I prefer zip as it is more idiot proof.
NastyNate
Exactly.
TMoney2007
AG
dtkprowler said:

Our builder just reached out and let us know that zip board has gone through the roof (pun intended). He is recommending using a standard OSB + House wrap sheeting.

1.) Does anyone on here have any insight if it truly has gone up so much more vs standard OSB.

2.) Is there any major concern about going standard house wrap instead of zip board? He is saying it is much cheaper.
If the spec is zip sheathing, I would get zip sheathing. It's what I would do if I was building a house. It's not something that you'll ever be able to retrofit in the future.

Is OSB and Tyvek acceptable? Sure, but it's not interchangeable.

How is the contract structured?
Aggietaco
AG
TMoney2007 said:

dtkprowler said:

If the spec is zip sheathing, I would get zip sheathing. It's what I would do if I was building a house. It's not something that you'll ever be able to retrofit in the future.

Is OSB and Tyvek acceptable? Sure, but it's not interchangeable.

How is the contract structured?
I would agree on the zip vs. tyvek assertion. A better apples to apples option would be zip vs. osb with a fluid applied awb. Tyvek will never perform the same as a properly installed zip type sheathing.
dtkprowler
AG
We are now going with ZIP. Thanks for all of the feedback and responses! Prices are not as different as initially conveyed!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.