I found out my homeowners insurance won't cover ______________.

2,664 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PlanoAg98
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmers Insurance

After the recent freeze/power outages, I found out my homeowners insurance won't cover:

1) Irrigation/sprinkler system - After the thaw, I turned on my sprinklers and no zones would operate. I looked in the valve box and it was filled with water. I assume one of the valves had frozen/broken.

2) Appliance (Dishwasher) - After having my known pipe break in the attic fixed, the plumber turned back on the water to ensure that fix worked. We heard water spraying behind the dishwasher. We unplugged off the dishwasher and turned back on the water. We didn't hear anything. Turned off the water and re-plugged the washer, turned back on the water, and saw water gushing out of the bottom of the dishwasher.

3) Appliance (Hot Water Heater) - After getting water back, my tankless hot water heater won't heat water for more than 5 minutes with only 1 shower running. Prior to that, it provided endless hot water.

4) Pool Tile/Deck - After the snow melt around the pool and pool thaw, I noticed my pool tiles around the edge had popped off and were now at the bottom of the pool. I also noticed my new crack in the concrete pool deck leading from the pool.
bigjag19
AG
Most homeowners policies don't cover any type of appliance for damage within the appliance.
ftworthag02
AG
First of all farmers sucks. We've had usaa for 14+ yrs and the only claim I've made was for the '16 hailstorm and the adjuster came out within a couple days and then they deposited the money in my account about 2-3 days later. Not to mention when you set up home insurance with them they send out a rep and they go over the house thoroughly making not of every detail and taking tons of pictures.

Re: irrigation system, when you say the valve box was full of water, are you talking about the green rectangular back flow valve box (double check) or the station valves (small round 6" boxes)?
Does your system have a rain & freeze sensor and if it does, does it have a light on the receiver box that was either green or red?

Courtesy Flush
AG
Has anybody ever made a claim against homeowners policy for landscaping? Probably too many variables, but thought I'd ask before I call my agent and have to listen to him laugh at me for asking.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Has anybody ever made a claim against homeowners policy for landscaping? Probably too many variables, but thought I'd ask before I call my agent and have to listen to him laugh at me for asking.
Most homeowner's policies refer to structure. I'm pretty sure landscaping is not covered by that. However, is this the only part of your claim? I'd be impressed if you had landscaping to cover your deductible... assuming your deductible is 1%.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Re: irrigation system, when you say the valve box was full of water, are you talking about the green rectangular back flow valve box (double check) or the station valves (small round 6" boxes)?

Rectangular back flow valve box. I don't even know where the station valves are.

Quote:

Does your system have a rain & freeze sensor and if it does, does it have a light on the receiver box that was either green or red?

No. It appeared to be just pipes... nothing fancy.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
"We know a thing or two, because we've seen a thing or two."
CenterHillAg
AG
My parents single slope carport collapsed, RVOS told them they don't cover carport damage from snow and ice.
rlb28
AG
Rufnek said:

In most homeowners policies, your trees, plants and shrubs are only covered for 5% of your total dwelling limit. Additionally, you won't be able to claim more than $500 of expenses for a single item, even if it's damaged by a covered peril.
ABATTBQ11
AG
msechelski said:

"We know a thing or two, because we've seen excluded a thing or two."

FIFT
OnlyForNow
AG
Not trying to be a jerk, but why would you think any of that is covered by homeowners insurance?

That's not damage to structure.

To get coverage on belongings or w/e it's called you usually have to have damage to the structure.
2wealfth Man
AG
Pool equipment not covered either. General rule of thumb is it must be a structure and must be "attached" to the house or dwelling. Interestingly enough, my patio arbor was covered for storm damage because it is attached to our house on a side wall. Free standing one would not have been.
jtraggie99
AG
Yeah, appliances are not typically covered. I've had to replace both a dishwasher and water heater the last couple years. The dishwasher leaked and caused damage (which would have been covered), but the repairs were less than my deductible so there was no claim. On the water heater, it's in my attic and leaked and did a lot of damage to my living room below. Insurance paid for the repairs, but I had to pay for the new water heater and installation.
Canyon99
rlb28 said:

Rufnek said:

In most homeowners policies, your trees, plants and shrubs are only covered for 5% of your total dwelling limit. Additionally, you won't be able to claim more than $500 of expenses for a single item, even if it's damaged by a covered peril.

...some of the better policies I've seen max out at a total of $25,000 on tree damage.
txags92
AG
My sister's neighbors have a young child about a year old and the wife is pregnant. On Monday night during the freeze, with the power out, they left to go to his parents' house since they had a generator. While they were gone, six or seven pipes burst in their attic. He did not find out until he came back the next afternoon. Their house is basically destroyed inside. And today they found out their homeowners policy only covers $10,000 for damage from a pipe break. No word on whether each break counts separately or not, but I doubt it. Be careful about those discount insurance policies...the reason they are cheaper is almost always because they are shorting you in coverage somewhere.
kb2001
AG
I had a claim for a broken drain pipe, this was the main house drain, and the line had to be replaced from the basement almost all the way to the city tie in. The last 15-20 feet or so had already been replaced at some point. Insurance covered the work inside and under the structure, but not the work under the yard. They said their scope is the structure and anything under it. The plumber worked with me to maximize what would be covered, but in the end about $3000 of a $12,000 bill was paid by insurance.

This was USAA, not known for being hard to work with, quite the opposite. I don't think an appliance breaking within itself would be covered by any insurance. Now, if the roof collapsed and took out your dishwasher, then I would think it'd be covered.
knoxtom
I thought pool equipment was not covered but filed a claim anyway so I could then make a FEMA claim when denied.

Insurance company called and said they were waiving their exclusion after a deal with the state, and they were covering. I still have to pay the deductible, but it looks like the damage will far exceed the deductible. First estimate was 14500. I think FEMA will cover the deductible though.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

I think FEMA will cover the deductible though.
I filed with FEMA but haven't heard thing since.
davido
AG
FEMA filing link?
DadAG10
What company?
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

FEMA filing link?

https://www.disasterassistance.gov/

I got rejected for the reason of having homeowner's insurance. I guess this assistance is only for those who do not have such?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.