Live Oak trees--post freeze

12,041 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Gilligan
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious if there's anything I can do for my live oaks after last week's freeze. Most still have green leaves but look kind of sickly. On one, the green leaves all turned brown. TIA!
Roger That
AG
One thing you can do is wait for them to drop all their leaves and grow new ones in the next month or so.
txaggie_08
AG
Txmoe said:

Curious if there's anything I can do for my live oaks after last week's freeze. Most still have green leaves but look kind of sickly. On one, the green leaves all turned brown. TIA!

Yeah, my live oak's leaves have turned a pale green/brown color after the freeze. I assume it'll drop those leaves and begin sprouting new ones soon. That's the hope at least.
The Dog Lord
AG
I fully anticipate that mine will drop their leaves soon since I just made progress getting them all cleaned up a few weeks ago.
Builder93
AG
Remember, you want the damaged leaves to drop so they can be replaced by new growth. If the dead ones don't drop, that's a bad sign for the tree's health
ABATTBQ11
AG
Cut them down and replace them with something that doesn't **** all over your yard.
The Dog Lord
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Cut them down and replace them with something that doesn't **** all over your yard.
I've legitimately thought about it. Not sure if the HOA would care or not, but we are moving soon anyway. Praying that there aren't any at whatever new place we get.
txaggie_08
AG
Such hate for live oaks.

Live oaks are probably my favorite tree.
helgs
AG
txaggie_08 said:

Such hate for live oaks.

The prior owners of my house planted a live oak right next to the patio. I'm sure it was nice 20 years ago, but the metric buttload of acorns that fall on my patio every year make being outside on the patio in the fall miserable. I want to cut it down but my city requires a permit for tree removal and they usually deny it if it's for cosmetic reasons.
ABATTBQ11
AG
txaggie_08 said:

Such hate for live oaks.

I hate their pollen
I hate their acorns
I hate their leaves
I hate everything about them
SJEAg
AG
Are leaves that big a deal with live oaks? Dump most of it and the pollen over a few week span. I only seem to get a lot of acorns every few years.

Can think of a lot of worse HOA trees to deal with...pine, trash trees like pears and ash, etc.
The Dog Lord
AG
Only have experience with the ones in my current neighborhood, but they drop leaves all year. They have the big drop twice a year, but there are almost always some leaves in the street, driveway, etc.
ABATTBQ11
AG
SJEAg said:

Are leaves that big a deal with live oaks? Dump most of it and the pollen over a few week span. I only seem to get a lot of acorns every few years.

Can think of a lot of worse HOA trees to deal with...pine, trash trees like pears and ash, etc.

Yes. They're a PITA to rake up because they're so small, and they don't decompose. I end up using a blower to put them in rows and mulching them into a bag with a lawn mower. Even still, getting rid of them takes awhile because they fill up my trash cans. I can fill up the biggest trash and compost bins the city has and still only get half my yard done. By the next weekend, everything I picked up has been replaced. I don't do the paper bag thing because that is also a PITA (maybe even more), and I don't want to have to buy those bags.
sleepybeagle
AG
How can anyone hate a live oak? I think it's by far the most beautiful tree God ever created. The older they get the more beautiful they get.

Builder93
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

SJEAg said:

Yes. They're a PITA to rake up because they're so small, and they don't decompose. I end up using a blower to put them in rows and mulching them into a bag with a lawn mower. Even still, getting rid of them takes awhile because they fill up my trash cans. I can fill up the biggest trash and compost bins the city has and still only get half my yard done. By the next weekend, everything I picked up has been replaced. I don't do the paper bag thing because that is also a PITA (maybe even more), and I don't want to have to buy those bags.

Maybe you should live inside a warehouse with a concrete floor and paint the sky on the ceiling. That way you will have total control over your environment. You will never have to worry about those pesky live oaks that provide oxygen, shade, and limbs for tire swings.

Scratch the tire swing...you wouldn't allow it as president of the HOA.
Courtesy Flush
AG
I have planted over 100 live oaks on some property we own and they are anywhere from 15 years old to 30-gallon trees that have less than a year in the ground. After last week's freeze, I had many that the outermost leaves have turned brown. I spoke with an arborist that I have used in the past and he said don't sweat it. He did mention that 30 years ago in north Texas there were some live oaks that suffered splits in the bark after extremely cold weather but that he was not aware of any that had actually died from the cold weather. I think they are going to be fine.

A live oak is my favorite tree because they are both beautiful and live a long, long time. There is something about planting a tree today that generations after me will enjoy that really motives me to plant them. I also think there is proper place for them and in residential neighborhood with limited lot sizes is not where they belong.
helgs
AG
sleepybeagle said:

How can anyone hate a live oak? I think it's by far the most beautiful tree God ever created. The older they get the more beautiful they get.

Nobody is claiming they aren't good looking. It's just that maintenance is a pain if they're your live oaks.
Ducks4brkfast
AG

P.H. Dexippus
AG
I'll take live oak maintenance over water oak maintenance any day.
The Dog Lord
AG
Rufnek said:

I have planted over 100 live oaks on some property we own and they are anywhere from 15 years old to 30-gallon trees that have less than a year in the ground. After last week's freeze, I had many that the outermost leaves have turned brown. I spoke with an arborist that I have used in the past and he said don't sweat it. He did mention that 30 years ago in north Texas there were some live oaks that suffered splits in the bark after extremely cold weather but that he was not aware of any that had actually died from the cold weather. I think they are going to be fine.

A live oak is my favorite tree because they are both beautiful and live a long, long time. There is something about planting a tree today that generations after me will enjoy that really motives me to plant them. I also think there is proper place for them and in residential neighborhood with limited lot sizes is not where they belong.

This is my beef with them. Currently living in an older neighborhood in the city with a small lot. If I had more land and didn't have to deal with the leaves directly around the house, I'd let them do their thing.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Quote:

I want to cut it down but my city requires a permit for tree removal and they usually deny it if it's for cosmetic reasons.
What if said tree were to die first? You may be able to turn the tables then.

Just a thought ...
AggieFactor
AG
Blew off my yard TWICE today in order to put pre-em down and it still looks like this 6 hrs later. Freeze definitely has condensed the spring drop timeline.

The Dog Lord
AG
Starting to see quite a few leaves down for us as well
helgs
AG
Ribeye-Rare said:

Quote:

I want to cut it down but my city requires a permit for tree removal and they usually deny it if it's for cosmetic reasons.
What if said tree were to die first? You may be able to turn the tables then.

Just a thought ...

Hmmm....where's my diesel....
Builder93
AG
My leaves are all coming off but if you look closely at the branches, you can see the new buds coming in. Turn them leaves into mulch. It's the best compost you can use.
SMSinTX
I read you can help them recover by giving each a good hose soak (not sprinkler) at the base. If they're struggling from the hard freeze (as indicated by the rapid shedding of leaves), the soak will help.
The Dog Lord
AG
Filled up this can and a 96 gallon green can (same size as the blue one) with nothing but leaves yesterday. Still have a ton of leaves down but they only pick up on Friday. Will probably have someone out soon to get the rest since I need some other landscaping done anyway. Will save me from a weeks-long ordeal of getting rid of them.

cavscout96
AG
Noticed mine budding today.
Gilligan
AG
Amateurs!!

59 bags this morning so far. Taking a short break and will probably get two or three more. Today is probably an all time high for the # of bags, but we sure have some beautiful and mature oaks. Love 'em!

Five pecans and a half dozen volunteers.

We see major leaf fall twice a year. It's NOT a big deal.
Gilligan
AG
Capping the day off at 63 bags of leaves.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.