Japanese Blueberry Tree

19,599 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by maverick12
maverick12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had six dwarf Japanese Blueberries. I figured there was a small chance they may come back from the base, but the growth would be really slow (based on prior cold damage). I really like the plant, but I'm not waiting for them to grow into a decent sized plant, so I yanked them out and replaced them with Japanese Yews.

evan_aggie
AG
maverick12 said:

I had six dwarf Japanese Blueberries. I figured there was a small chance they may come back from the base, but the growth would be really slow (based on prior cold damage). I really like the plant, but I'm not waiting for them to grow into a decent sized plant, so I yanked them out and replaced them with Japanese Yews.

I liked the Japanese yews but wasn't sure how stupid our dog was and whether he'd kill himself eating the leaves. I've never seen him eat leaves before, but wouldn't put it past him to give it a try.
maverick12
AG
Yeah, I put them in the front yard. I don't think my lab would eat them, but he does eat the leaves from our Chinese Fringe Flower plants like they are dog treats. That and hibiscus flowers.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Y'all know how much 30 gallon holly trees are going for? ****ing hell.
maroon10
AG
So if there's some green sprouting near the base of the trunk then it'll take forever to make a come back?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Yup, 5-6 years minimum to get to 10-12 feet.
Hamada
Mine is about 8 feet tall and all the leaves died right after the freeze. Then I had some new growth recently from the bottom branch and got really excited, little offshoot of about 10 leaves or so. It was growing and then they shriveled and died again after a few weeks... Thoughts? Would root stimulator help? Any hope? (There is tiny growth near the bottom of trunk near mulch but definitely don't want to wait years to get back to regular size). Anything similar that will grow fast if this is a lost cause? I'm needing something large for privacy screening
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Holly trees?
maroon10
AG
Eagleston Holly, Nellie Stevens Holly
Hamada
So now I'm hearing they don't actually scratch green? Someone told me that their 20 foot one is just now starting to sprout leaves at the main branches, but never actually scratched green.. they just waited. Anyone else have one that survived or waited this long? Kind of thinking probably needed to wait longer... Though it was scratching brown and now it's sprouting everywhere from the bottom
Flashdiaz
AG
I have 3 that were about 15 ft. Branches still did but do see new growth along the trunk. May cut it back up to where I see growth but not excited about having a stick with little leaves. Part of me still wants to just get rid of them.
maverick12
AG
I figured mine would potentially come back, but I ripped them out anyway. In prior hard freezes, they died back and it took them forever to look halfway decent again. If you are willing to wait, you may just leave and see what happens.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.