Japanese Blueberry Tree

19,250 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by maverick12
aggiecody06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wanted to get some opinions on what to do for my Japanese Blueberry. Pre freeze the leaves are bright green, after they have turned a brownish yellow. Is it a goner or just in shock and should come back ok? Anything supplements I can add when watering to encourage them to liven back up?
expresswrittenconsent
Bru-belly
Builder93
AG
Probably will come back. Leave it alone and watch for new buds.
94chem
I've got 3 that I planted before Harvey at about 3 feet tall. They are 20 feet tall now. This freeze made them very unhappy. But they look much happier than my 11 citrus trees.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
aggiecody06
Yea two of mine are about 5 ft tall that I planted last month and two others that are little 5 gallon ones. Hoping they recover
Courtesy Flush
AG
I am very interested in seeing how these do. My parents have some and of course after the freeze the leaves turned brown. I reached in to limbs near the trunk of the tree and scraped the bark off. It was brown which surprised me. I expected the larger branches to still be green so I am wondering if they will make it.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Any good suggestions for something to replace Japanese Blueberry?

Looking more and more likely mine are toast.
redag06
Been to a few nurseries the past few days and Japanese Yews all seemed to have faired better than Japanese blueberries.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Toast.

corndog_assassin
I very unfortunately planted 10 x 15g and 12 x 30g of these trees last September/October as a privacy hedge. From the reading I've done, it seems like waiting to see what greens up (if anything) and then pruning the fried limbs is all I can hope for.

Otherwise, it's a fair chunk of cash down the drain. Can't say I'm ready to jump back in and plant anything else considering this poor experience.
RC_57
AG
Excuse my ignorance on this ( I have a black thumb) but does this mean if you scrape off some bark and it's brown the tree is a goner? How would it look if the tree was okay?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I would expect to see some green. No green = no good.
RC_57
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

I would expect to see some green. No green = no good.

Makes sense. Thanks
NastyNate
Where did you buy them from? Most nurseries offer a 1-year guarantee regardless of the cause.
corndog_assassin
Woodlands Wholesale Nursery (http://woodlandswholesalenursery.com/)

I don't expect they will do much for me given their original prices. I don't remember seeing anything about 1 year guarantee. Moon valley is like $800 for a 30 gallon tree, where WHN was $250.

I'm going to call them today and inquire. I'll update y'all with whatever happens.

Side note, is landscaping damage like this something you can file a home owner's insurance claim for? Not sure if it would be worth it or not. I spent around $5000 originally to purchase, did most of the planting myself.

corndog_assassin
Confirmed no warranty on plants purchased from Woodlands Wholesale Nursery. Good prices, but buyer beware.
kubiak03
AG
I'd be surprised for any nursery warranty plants for the February freeze.

Flashdiaz
AG
I don't blame them, warranties on bought goods are supposed to protect you from defective goods, not extreme acts of nature.
WestTXCoyote
AG
Checking in to see if anyone has an update; are your Japanese Blueberries showing signs of recovery?
I am west of Houston/south of I10 (e.g., Fulshear) and have 3 full size (~15') and 3 dwarf variety (~4'); none seem to show any signs of new buds, but interior branches seem to have some green and are not brittle. Also have a lot of bottlebrush (full size and dwarf) that I am leaving alone in the hopes of a miraculous recovery....
water turkey
I just cut one down in my backyard that was about 25 feet tall. It was dead from root to top leaf
Honky Tonk Hero
AG
My 30' tree showing no signs of life. Gonna give it at least another month before taking any action.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I have 4 about 15 feet tall each. My landscape architect told me to use garden rich root and grow and micro life super seaweed for 6 weeks. Apply each every 2 weeks. One application in and trees look the same so far. Will report back but I'm going to give it until 4/1 at least before I lose hope
cypress-ag
AG
I have 3 and I keep hoping to see some green pop out but still nothing. Hate to loose these because they were gorgeous as a backdrop to my pool. Waiting until mid April before I make a decision.
JJWAGGIE
AG
I've got 4 really nice ones as a backdrop to my pool as well... Fulshear area. I did the bark scrap bit and there was moisture inside. Have decided to just let me be for now..
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Mine still look like death
aggiecody06
I scratched the bark on mine and they were brown. I hit the bullet and replaced all 4.
cypress-ag
AG
Pulled all 3 out yesterday after talking to the guys at Plants for All Season. Said I'd have to cut it down to the base and wait 3 to 4 years to get close to any tree I'd want. Found 3 six footers at Arborgate in Tomball for $62 each. Couldn't bite the bullet for the 10 footers at $270 a piece.
aggiecody06
Dang that's a hell of a price! May have to look there for other trees. Do they have good selection of other species as well?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Pulled my two out.

If it didn't survive this freeze, it's not going back in my yard.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I'm going back with holly trees in their place
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Mine were 15ish feet tall with 3-5 inch diameter trunks
Cut them all 2.5 feet from the ground at the trunk. Trying to figure out how exactly I'm going to get the rest out of the ground without breaking my back.
JJWAGGIE
AG
All of mine are spouting near the base of the trunk so might end up just cutting back to near there and letting them grow... see were it goes from there.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Took me 6 hours today to rip out my 4 plus the 3 to cut them to the stump last week.
At least the holes are already mostly dug for the holly trees taking their place
corndog_assassin
Finally cut down all 22 trees today. Confirmed almost all of them were toast to the roots. A few of the bush forms have new growth around the base that might grow into something over a few years.

I won't give them that long and plan to use solely native plants in my landscaping moving forward.

Anyone reading this considering what to plant: please do not plant any Japanese blueberry trees in the greater Houston area. Waste of (a lot of) time and money.
water turkey
Dang, 22, that does suck.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.