Is EcoZappAC still in business?

6,768 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
Jetpilot86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't seem to get an answer out of them on any media, but their website is still up.

The unit I got from them last year picked this storm to act up, of course.

Thanks!
TxAgg07
AG
Nevermind, saw your other post.
Jetpilot86
AG
TxAgg07 said:

What is it doing/not doing?
https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3183064

Here's the thread on my issues.
txyaloo
AG
Jetpilot86 said:

Can't seem to get an answer out of them on any media, but their website is still up.

The unit I got from them last year picked this storm to act up, of course.

Thanks!
They're out of business

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/12/21/local-business-putting-employee-safety-first-switching-to-online-sales-only/
Jetpilot86
AG
Thanks
mAgnoliAg
AG
Wow
jt2hunt
AG
Did people stop installing AC systems due to Covid? That makes no sense by the way.
91_Aggie
AG
I don't believe this at all:
Quote:

"Until technicians have vaccines and we can reduce the risk of both our employees and the homeowner and not having to deal with the struggles of unnecessary risks just by waiting a few months is kind of our goal," said Zapelac.

every other A/C business still going out and doing business.

EcoZapp just always felt like snake oil salesmen and/or only got into A/C business because "hey, maybe we can do that" but with no real passion or actual real-world knowledge about it.

never felt they were honest at all about anything.

Perception they gave off with their advertising and postings here.

Could be wrong, but perception is tough to change.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Sorry not sorry is how I feel about a business whose rep belittled everyone he came in contact with here.

We all knew it...just a matter of time
03_Aggie
Lol. We care about our employees so we're going to lay them all off so they don't get sick.
ftworthag02
AG
Is this the same company that was pest control company and a a/c company?
TxAgg07
AG
Yes
03_Aggie
ftworthag02 said:

Is this the same company that was pest control company and a a/c company?

Don't forget roofing
lawless89
Had them out to our house when we first moved here and inquired about a duct cleaning which is the only reason I had them out. Before the tech even walked into my door, he was showing me stuff on his iPad that I needed to buy and upgrade my whole system. Over $25k. Said "I just want to let you know what you're possibly facing first."

Needless to say I didn't like that tactic one bit. He came in, looked at my units and said they don't do duct cleaning, but he can sell me all that other stuff. SERIOUSLY?! It's literally the only thing I called about. Snake salesman for sure. Hate to see small businesses not make it, but this company had the writing on the wall.
ftworthag02
AG
If that's not a red flag I don't know what is.
mneisch
AG
I feel like they were just posting positions on the job board, claiming to be one of the fastest growing Aggie owned companies.
CapCity12thMan
AG
you hear stories about small business owners who get to know their customers, become part of the community, do all the right things, etc. Then when times are tough - people pay that back, support them, keep them in business. Feel good stories.

....not happening here. I do feel bad for people employed there who likely have no job , but every other landscape, window and door, painting, home remodel and improvement company has likely had a good year. Every project I want to do around my house - "we are booked out for months", yet EcoCrap has to "refocus".

Quote:

"Until then we're going to try and stop COVID with these air purifiers nationwide."

...so we go from peddling some miracle coolant that defies physics to now an air purifier that kills viruses. Next we will hear about some miracle pipe that doesn't freeze in current conditions.

AggieOO
Plus, they couldn't even bother to proofread their website and claimed to be too busy to correct grammatical errors and misspellings. And if you mentioned it seemed unprofessional, lord help you.
The Fife
Snake oil about sums it up. He reminded me of people selling crap you could put in your car's A/C to make it stop leaking but would be more likely to just gum up and blow your compressor. Thanks but no thanks!
Vernada
AG
mneisch said:

I feel like they were just posting positions on the job board, claiming to be one of the fastest growing Aggie owned companies.
he was always tyring to get job seekers to apply with them.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Here's a thread he posted on the Aggieland forum. None of us ever saw it I guess (because how many of us 1. live in BCS, and 2. frequent that forum).

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3169151/
91_Aggie
AG
And i feel bad for anyone who bought A/C units from them with warranty through them.

Most people value honest, hard-working, straight-forward companies who are in business to make money but also built for the long-haul for their customers.

Eco-zapp from the beginning never even tried to project that image.
Oh we are in the bug-killing business...
Oops. Now we really are in HVAC business..
Oh and here is some snake oil to put in your old system that might get it cooler... don't blame us if your old system just happens to stop working 2 months after...

Ohhh, wait! Now we are in the air purifying business and our system can stop Covid!!!

Pick something and be the best at it.
Customers do not care that you are hiring to have the biggest employee base in town.

Customers do not care what the inside of your warehouse has in it.

Most People can easily sense when a company or person is all style and no substance.

And that has been my perception from the first time I encounterd their ads and especially when the owner/boss started posting on Texags.

AgCPA95
AG
Many times I will read the A/C thread as I work for commercial HVAC company and find the topics interesting, but I know about enough to be dangerous when it gets technical as I'm not in operations but he wasn't easy to forget.

The thing I remember about some of his responses is people would ask if they were in his service area. His reply would be something along the lines of they were thinking about maybe moving into that area and they would travel to "x location" not real close to BCS like The Woodlands or Katy to do the work as that would make it worth their while. I wasn't going to questions anyone without any facts as he seemed to have some happy customers and I wasn't going to use him, but just always seemed shady to me and the "snake oil salesman" description fits perfectly IMO.

Edit - I would be wary of any "in-house" warranties offered by a residential (or commercial for that matter) HVAC company. The business failure rate is high and you would be surprised at home many times these business are bankrupted and started over with the same or similar trade name or go away completely. If you do get a factory extended warranty, make sure it is actually purchased and filed with the manufacturer by contacting them directly so make sure they have matching serial numbers and info on file. Unscrupulous contractors will sell warranties that appear to be manufacturer warranties without actually purchasing them keeping them "in-house" which is very high risk for the consumer.
cadetjay02
AG
I think the interesting thing about that guy is that he was clearly a troll/con-man and Texags just kept taking his advertising money. Yet the mods on the site still like to levy the ban hammer for other paying customers exhibiting similar behavior. Hopefully they reevaluate their sponsorship criteria after dealing with him.
Garrelli 5000
AG
The owner's FB page even says "never stop the hustle".
Take the trash out staff.
AgAcGuy12
AG
I met josh at a function one time and he saw my shirt that obviously had HVAC company logo on it and he made the comment when I introduced myself to him "I kinda do ac work too". I always chuckled at that. Because there was a whole lot of kinda in their work.
I think what ultimately got him was the supply houses. He burned a lot of bridges and kept jumping brands "due to price increases from xyz brand we now sell". You can do your own reasoning as to why parts houses were dropping him. The second thing he had going against him is he had investors. He approached one of my good friends about investing a sizable amount of money into the company for a share of ownership and my friend declined.
It's a hard gig to run a business with such high sales pressure tactics and not so great work in a town like BCS. Compound that to having investors that are expecting a return on their money and it gets dicey. That's when you start trying to do anything anywhere to bring in income. You then quickly learn you're doing a whole lot of things and not one of them well. Then you're out of business and somehow got a nice PPP loan and a virus to ride off into the sunset with tail between legs. (I assume he got a ppp).
I'm sad he's gone because it was a lot of fun to argue with someone that knew nothing about HVAC but acted like they were gods gift to our industry. I'll also miss all the customers I gained from him and the money I made from them. He is a thinker though and he will be back with something.
I just heard that ABC is opening their HVAC division here soon. They run a good company and do good work in Austin. They pay their guys very well and will take a good chunk of market share in BCS. One thing I've learned though is not to worry about what your competitor is doing or not doing, worry about what you're doing and the rest will take care of itself. I've built a very solid business and have made a lot of money and someday I hope to be as big as ABC if it's meant to be. My biggest beef with ABC is they sell Lennox, and I hate Lennox junk.
Good luck with your moms ac. I hate nest thermostats and would venture to say the problem is likely in the thermostat.
lotsofhp
AG
I'm sorry you're in this situation OP. I hope you're able to get some help.

As you can tell by the responses, those guys were not popular around here.
txyaloo
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Here's a thread he posted on the Aggieland forum. None of us ever saw it I guess (because how many of us 1. live in BCS, and 2. frequent that forum).

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3169151/
That thread was great before the mods cleaned it up. There were at least 20 other posts arguing with Ecozapp.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Was wondering why only one poster had seemingly posted and he had so many stars.
Jetpilot86
AG
Thanks! for all the info. The good news is that the heat magically fixed itself when the outside temp went back over 25F. Now the question is why that is.

It's sad that people like this can make it hard to do business with Ag's. And as much as I try to "Buy American ", I also try to do business with Ags also trying to do business with our core values.

I'm taking recommendations for Ag owned HVAC that so business in the Montgomery area of Lake Conroe.
JP76
Jetpilot86 said:

Thanks! for all the info. The good news is that the heat magically fixed itself when the outside temp went back over 25F. Now the question is why that is.

It's sad that people like this can make it hard to do business with Ag's. And as much as I try to "Buy American ", I also try to do business with Ags also trying to do business with our core values.

I'm taking recommendations for Ag owned HVAC that so business in the Montgomery area of Lake Conroe.

When the heat runs is her outside condenser also running ?

Or is it not a heat pump and only electric heat ?
Jetpilot86
AG
Electric
The Fife
I haven't lived in TX in a long time now, is this ABC as in ABC Pest and Lawn?
AgAcGuy12
AG
Correct. They are all over the state and do many trades in addition to Pest control. They are not ecozap 2.0. I've been in several training classes with some of their guys and they have some sharp guys working for them. I cannot speak as to their sales tactics.
Chipotlemonger
AG
ABC is WAY more professional than EcoZapp could ever hope to be.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.