Tilson Homes

8,236 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tgivaughn
CheersforBeers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone here used Tilson to build your home or lived in a Tilson home?

If so would you mind sharing your experience or any information that you could provide would be helpful.
RustyBoltz
AG
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2514149/1
catalena18
I'm interested to know more about Tilson too. Most of the other posts seems to be a little dated.

OP, have you looked anymore into tilson or started the process?
DartAg1970
AG
My brother (Class of '03) used to be a super for Tilson homes several years ago and built the home my parents (Class of '79) live in now.

He enjoyed working for them for a long time, but ultimately chose to leave for a better opportunity at another custom home builder. He still says from what he knows they are still pretty good.
catalena18
Thanks so much for sharing this information. I'm pretty sure we will go with Tilson. I just wanted to know what other thought
billyjack2009
Not a question about Tilson specifically but build-on-your-lot builders and cost per square foot. When we bought our land in 2015, we were advised to estimate $220/sq ft for a fully custom home. We know that has gone up (not sure how much) so are considering going with a builder that has plans and modifying as needed. We're looking at the Spring Branch area. About how much per square foot do you budget for something like Tilson?
bdgol07
AG
$220????

There are $800k homes around me that are fully custom, albeit, spec homes, that aren't that high per sq ft
billyjack2009
Just for grins, look at this (we've since ruled out Lago Vista). This is before the price of the lot and it's not custom.

https://www.coventryhomes.com/austin/new-homes-lago-tx-vista-tessera-on-lake-travis-70ft/plan/executive-series/maple

bdgol07
AG
I get it, but holy crap... check out what Huntsville price-wise gives you...

Texas Grand Ranch

That's not what I would consider a spec home and about as close to a custom home as a builder could make, and on 3 acres to boot
billyjack2009
Wow, I love that builder's style. We really want topography. And to get away from metro Houston. We've looked all around Lake Travis but the growth there is insane. I've started looking at lots around Canyon Lake and it seems much more reasonable. We just don't know the area well. We expect we'll both work from home for the remainder of our corporate careers so we are flexible but don't want to go farther west than San Antonio metro. And we have a fourth grader so we want good schools and kids around.
exalted512
AG
billyjack2009 said:

Not a question about Tilson specifically but build-on-your-lot builders and cost per square foot. When we bought our land in 2015, we were advised to estimate $220/sq ft for a fully custom home. We know that has gone up (not sure how much) so are considering going with a builder that has plans and modifying as needed. We're looking at the Spring Branch area. About how much per square foot do you budget for something like Tilson?
$220/sqft is very high, even for a custom home. Check out Picklo homes for the spring branch area. They're a great builder. A little on the high side, but you get what you pay for. They still won't be close to $220/sqft though, even for a complete custom house.
DuncanLEO
bdgol07 said:

Texas Grand Ranch

That's not what I would consider a spec home and about as close to a custom home as a builder could make, and on 3 acres to boot

Huntsville is a ****hole, so there's that.
bdgol07
AG
DuncanLEO said:

bdgol07 said:

Texas Grand Ranch

Huntsville is a ****hole, so there's that.

Thank you for the excellent addition of content to this thread. The door is to the left
AgDadx2
We had a Tilson home built 17 years ago and have been quite happy with it. In those days, upgrades were available to their basic packages, but not widely publicized. Now, their homes come with many upgrades like wood flooring, granite counter tops, etc. compared to what we got, such as builders grade plumbing and light fixtures, formica counter tops & vinyl flooring which were standard then.

I toured the Tilson model homes in Katy a while back and was really impressed with what they offer now. Over the years we have upgraded the kitchen and bathrooms as well as the flooring.

Structurally we have been quite happy with no real mechanical or structural issues in the time we have owned the home.

They are a Christian, family - owned business if that matters to you.
catalena18
Thank you for sharing! I think we have decided to go with them. We hope to go tour one of their locations in the next week or so to get the conversation started. We are very excited!
billyjack2009
Where are you building?
catalena18
We are in burleson county off highway 50. In between college station and Brenham.
Howdy Dammit
AG
220 is not high at all right now for a custom house. DR Horton is selling 220/ft right now in Austin.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Why did you rule out lago? Wife and I move in to our new home there this month.
Furlock Bones
AG
I just moved to Jonestown a few months ago. Love it here.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Awesome! I'm just worried about myself/her driving 1431 so often. Dangerous road. And planning on quite a few tickets.
billyjack2009
Just saw your reply/question. Too crowded. We wanted more space so are under contract for an acre in Mystic Shores on Canyon Lake.
tgivaughn
AG
From the slab up, I've heard feedback ala good bang for the bucks.
However, the foundations are not up to my engineer's defense against Brazos Co very volatile supporting soils; this is the main cause of lawsuits.
That said, our neighbor just remodeled $$$$$ a Tilson, so must have liked it 2nd hand and we have very poor soil but not the worst in Co.
IMHO and am sticking to it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.