Running an Exterior Electrical Line

3,509 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Daddy-O5
Daddy-O5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to run an electrical line from the rear of my house (small breaker box there with available breakers) to a patio area. It would be used only for outdoor lighting and to plug in my thermometer for smoking from time to time, so not a significant power draw.

I've done a moderate amount of electrical work during the remodel of my home, but by no means an expert. Explain the process to me like I'm a complete novice from the breaker box to the outlet.
evan_aggie
AG
What kind of outdoor lighting? You'd be amazed by what low voltage lights can accomplish.

If you are dead set on it, I'm pretty sure you'll have to run metal electrical conduit and that has to be grounded I think with stakes. I've done plenty of interior electrical....not much outside with the exception of adding an exterior wall receptacle.
Daddy-O5
AG
Pretty much where I'm at experience wise as well. Had intended on running conduit but not sure of some of the details you've mentioned.

I haven't really put a lot of thought into "type" of lighting other than just some small LEDs to be able to see at night. No landscaping lights or anything like that.
Dr. Doctor
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Pretty much where I'm at experience wise as well. Had intended on running conduit but not sure of some of the details you've mentioned.

I haven't really put a lot of thought into "type" of lighting other than just some small LEDs to be able to see at night. No landscaping lights or anything like that.
You should bury the line at least 18" deep. You'll need to put red electrical 'tape' (think caution tape, but red) above the buried plastic line. This is to warn people if they are digging, there is power under there.

I would use PVC (grey) waterproof lines. Try to go a single pipe (no joints underground).

You'll need to use a table for pipe size vs. wires needed. If you are just doing a single 12 ga wire, you can use 3/4" PVC.

I would run at least 2 wires (future expansion); if not 2 wires, at least 2 strings labelled for future pulls.

That's what we did when I did residential electrical work in college.

~egon
evan_aggie
AG
Sure, but low voltage lights come in any shape and type you can imagine.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/low+voltage+lights/
Dr. Venkman
AG

Quote:

I've done a moderate amount of electrical work during the remodel of my home, but by no means an expert. Explain the process to me like I'm a complete novice from the breaker box to the outlet.
1. Dig a 12" deep trench from the panel to the location you want the outlet.
2. Buy:
-1/2" PVC electrical conduit - comes in 10' sections
-1/2" conduit fitting adapter with threads on one end
-1/2" locknut for above adapter
-Two 1/2" PVC conduit 90 (long sweep)
-#12 THHN/THWN wire in black, white, and green - comes prepackaged in 50', 100', etc. or sold by the foot
-weatherproof box with cover
-GFCI outlet
3. Punch out the smallest hole in the panel needed for the conduit fitting adapter.
4. Insert conduit fitting adapter and thread locknut.
5. Glue all the PVC conduit together from the panel to the outlet location. The PVC needs to be 12" deep.
6. Feed the wire through.
7. At the panel, wire black to a 20A breaker, white to the neutral bar, and green to the ground bar.
8. At the outlet, wire black to the "line side" gold screw, white to the "line side" silver screw, and green to the ground screw.
9. Turn on breaker.
10. Stick finger in the outlet to test that the GFCI works.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Dr. Venkman said:

Quote:

2. Buy:
-#12 THHN/THWN wire in black, white, and green - comes prepackaged in 50', 100', etc. or sold by the foot
-GFCI outlet
3. Punch out the smallest hole in the panel needed for the conduit fitting adapter.
5. Glue all the PVC conduit together from the panel to the outlet location. The PVC needs to be 12" deep.
7. At the panel, wire black to a 20A breaker, white to the neutral bar, and green to the ground bar.
8. At the outlet, wire black to the "line side" gold screw, white to the "line side" silver screw, and green to the ground screw.
9. Turn on breaker.
I thought code was 16-inches?
Post removed:
by user
Waterski02
AG
Could do direct burial UF but for a short run PVC is easy. I'd pull 2 circuits just because.

But basically do what Venkman said, plus a pvc expansion coupling at each end. Which will be the most expensive item.
Daddy-O5
AG
Excellent. Thanks very much, and to the rest who have chimed in.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Just an FYI - do not run Romex in conduit. Romes is dry area only / not for wet areas. Wires in conduit must be suitable for wet area as it is assumed conduit will have water in it.
Dr. Venkman
AG
West Texas Lawyer said:

Dr. Venkman said:

Quote:

2. Buy:
-GFCI outlet
9. Turn on breaker.
I thought code was 16-inches?
It's 18 inches for PVC conduit, but if it's a 20A, 120V circuit with GFCI protection, you can go 12 inches.
Ikanizer
AG
You can get a breaker switch with GFCI included for a little bit more.
Daddy-O5
AG
Anyone in the Houston area want to come help out for beer or ammo? Don't worry, I'll dig the ditch.
Bald Eagle
Jd. I'll call you tomorrow I think I can help ;you with this
Daddy-O5
AG
Ended up pulling it from my main breaker. Longer run but avoided my septic tank leach lines and one less hole in my wall. String lights hung. I'll try and get some decent pictures of those at night.

Thanks, and Gig 'Em!
tgivaughn
AG
Well, if not hiring an electrician, you could buy a heavy duty extension cord that is rated for under grade and simply plug in. A friend ran one to his delivered storage shed 20 years ago for small tools & lighting and it's still working. Another ran one also slightly underground to his septic pump decades ago (~800watts).

This looks similar
https://www.amazon.com/Southwire-2589-Resistant-Commercial-Appliances/dp/B088GGBJYH/ref=sr_1_1?crid=N9W3WEI6JXVW&dchild=1&keywords=underground%2Bextension%2Bcord&qid=1635117675&sprefix=underground%2Bextension%2Bcord%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-1&th=1
IMHO and am sticking to it
Daddy-O5
AG
Still some work to do with the outdoor patio area but coming together nice.
Thanks, and Gig 'Em!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.