Resolution for Wrong Color Drip Edge

6,433 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BrazosDog02
oldag00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're getting a new roof. Shingle installation is complete except for the ridge vent. Before leaving for work yesterday, I verified the shingle color, but I didn't inspect the color of the drip edge.

I came home yesterday evening to see they ordered and installed the wrong color drip edge. The roofing company acknowledges making this error.

Is painting the drip edge to match the fascia trim our only option to correct this error? Is it unreasonable to swap out the drip edge to the correct color?
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Are you adding gutters? I like the drip edge to match the gutters.
oldag00
AG
Yes. Gutters, drip edge, and fascia trim were all set to match.

Three gable ends (one street facing) are really the problem.
ABATTBQ11
AG
You could have them replace it, but what is wrong with painting it?
oldag00
AG
Painting the drip edge will likely turn out ok. But it takes a product that requires virtually no maintenance and converts it to something I have to maintain....sort of like painting vinyl siding.
ratfacemcdougal
oldag00 said:

We're getting a new roof. Shingle installation is complete except for the ridge vent. Before leaving for work yesterday, I verified the shingle color, but I didn't inspect the color of the drip edge.

I came home yesterday evening to see they ordered and installed the wrong color drip edge. The roofing company acknowledges making this error.

Is painting the drip edge to match the fascia trim our only option to correct this error? Is it unreasonable to swap out the drip edge to the correct color?
Then it is on them to pay for replacement
JP76
I swap out drip edge all the time when I replace fascia boards on houses

Make them replace it if that's what you really want
I also have painted thousands of feet of drip edge. If done properly it will last a long time
jtp01
AG
What has the roofer suggested for resolution?

Reality is they did not complete the job to the agreed upon terms. Be polite and ask them to replace with the correct color. If you get pushback, stand your ground and produce your contract with them that states exactly what you will get and for how much you will pay.

If I'm in your shoes, I'm probably not going to accept painted drip edge. As others have mentioned you add maintenance to a low/no maintenance item. On gables, maintaining it will require a ladder/man lift depending upon height.
shalackin
AG
They should be able to pull it off and replace it. They just have to do so carefully as to not tear the first row of shingles. We do this all the time, it isn't too bad if they know what they are doing.

Painting is a perfectly acceptable option as well.
BrazosDog02
AG
Agreed. It can be removed and replaced but it has to be done carefully. If it were my job (which it wouldn't be because I check materials against my contracts), then I'd probably offer to replace it first and simple concessions otherwise. I mean, those are about the only options you got. Personally, I'd prefer not to paint it but the fact is that paint will likely last until your next roof if done right, so...

It's not your fault. It's their error. The PM should've caught that...he was on the job, right?

What color combo did you want and what did you get? I'm curious. I almost always try to match shingle color unless the customer requests otherwise. I've had people ask for some wacky combos.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.