Smart Switch Wiring Question-Neutral Wire

865 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by UnderoosAg
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I've been adding some smart switches lately. Most of them are basic on/off or dimmers that needed no neutral wire. Simple to add. But I'm adding some fan controllers now that do require a neutral. Honestly, electricity kinda scares me in the first place in that I don't want to get something wired wrong, but basic switch and outlet replacement is something I've always done and none of them have ever need a neutral. So how do I get a neutral on the fan control? I see a bundle of white wires in the back of my box. Do I just pigtail a new wire coming off the switch and add it to that bundle? The bundle already has like 5 wires in it even though this is only a two switch box and VERY crowded. I've only got like 6 switches left to do and I'm almost thinking I might just hire an electrician to do these final ones, but I hate to give up if it's something simple though.
FTA 2010
AG
Just did the same thing recently. Yes, basically just pigtail you a neutral out of that bundle of 5 wires you say are already together. I used stranded copper wire that is a bit more flexible given the tight space in the box and added depth of the smart switch. The controller just needs constant power and the neutral wire allows it
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Thanks. I need to find some big ass wire connectors then. The neutral bundle already has 4 or 5 in it.

All yours required neutral? So far only my fan controllers need it. I'm using the Lutron Caseta line and the dimmers and just regular switches have not needed a neutral.
FTA 2010
AG
I'm using the Leviton Decora smart switches and all have required a neutral for constant power to support the wifi functionality. That said, I didn't have to purchase a separate controller or 'home' device for them all to connect to.

I think the Lutron Caseta you are using needs the z-wave home controller in addition to the smart switch/plug/controller. Therefore the wifi is supported on that and the separate z-wave communicates to the switch w/o constant power required at the switch.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Yep. It does require a hub. I bought a starter kit that it came with.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
On the leviton dimmers can you set a favorite light level so that when you turn it on it automatically goes to that level. I haven't figured that one out on mine. I turn it on and it goes to 100 so then I usually turn it back down to about 75. I can tell Alexa to turn those lights on and I can limit the light level there, but not when turning on manually.
UnderoosAg
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Thanks. I need to find some big ass wire connectors then. The neutral bundle already has 4 or 5 in it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-454-Blue-Wing-Nut-Wire-Connectors-25-Pack-30-454P/202894280

At some point it becomes easier to pull a wire or two off the existing connection and pigtail to a new one, so instead of one 6 you have one five and one three (one in each is the pigtail between them). It depends a bit on whether you have #14 or #12 wire, and whether the connections were twisted before being capped.
http://i.imgur.com/H6jmyPq.png
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.