Dust from floor demo - tips?

1,076 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by barnacle bob
CLB2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
House we just moved into has some really ugly wood floors and we didnt have the option to replace them prior to move in. So, were going to be replacing the floors after a few weeks in the house.
Today our contractors removed a small section in the kitchen in order to build out some more cabinets and there was alot of glue and float they had to demo, causing a more than normal amount of dust.

Pretty fearful of how this is going to go in a couple of weeks when we do the rest of the house (two story).
Any tips from those that have gone through it?
I am thinking move out what we can into the garage. Probably doing the floors in phases (first floor then 2nd floor so that we can move stuff up/down during each phase. Maybe plastic wrapping the hell out of stuff that we can like TVs, furniture, etc.

Any other tips/recommendations?
BrazosDog02
AG
We had our original limestone exterior walls repointed. Old caliche was over 100 years old and they had to chip out a bit of it before pointing.

Let me tell you about white limestone dust. It was everywhere. EVERYWHERE. the wife and her mother spent two days vacuuming and cleaning after it. Two days. Solid. I honestly don't know anything you can do if you can't cover stuff in plastic. Stuff we covered in plastic fared very well and it was not taped, just tucked really well. It will be a hell of a lot of dust which will settle. Clean clean clean, leave your hvac off while the Reno is being done, change your bac filters afterwards and suck it up...maybe someone else has a better idea. We also kept doors shy to rooms we weren't working in and those rooms were fine.
GE
AG
Seal off the area they are working on from the rest of the house using plastic sheeting and tape. Seal off as well as you possibly can and cover any furniture or other items you don't want super dusty.
Builder93
AG
You can set up a negative air machine in the area where they are working.
water turkey
And change out your hvac filters when done.
YellAg2004
AG
For our demo activities, I took 3 regular box fans, bought 24" x 24" AC filters and taped them to the intake side of the fans. Tape all around the perimeter of the fan and filter so any air going through the fan has to go through the filter. Then I'd set up the fans in whichever room we were doing demo and just ran them on high the whole time.

It was somewhat of a joke at first ("Let's see how this works"), but it actually worked incredibly well. Now you'll still need to seal off the rooms/areas where you're doing work with plastic, but it pulls a LOT of dust out of the air. Depending on what you're doing, you'll need to replace the filters somewhat regularly (every few days) if you're doing dusty activities (tile demo, sheetrock sanding, etc.), but it really reduced the amount of dust cleanup we had.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Lots of good advice so far. Here are my thoughts:

1. Seal off the area in which you are working.
2 . Create negative pressure by running fans that blow out the windows.
3. Let the dust settle. The dust is light and will take a bit to settle.
4. Get a HEPA filter for your shop vac and get to cleaning.
lawless89
In addition to plastic sheeting hanging, add a layer of canvas drop cloth hanging behind the sheet. This prevents the sheet from moving around so much from air flow with doors being opened, the a/c running, etc.

We only used a canvas sheet and it worked well, but if I did it again, I'd line it with plastic so no dust filters through the canvas.
Kenneth_2003
AG
If there is no door from the work area to the outside, put brown paper on the floor, tape it down, then put canvas on top of the paper. This will catch most of the dust being tracked on boots.
BWnDallas
AG
Buy a bag of that green floor sweep stuff and throw it all over the impacted rooms and then sweep up. This will help with the dust on the floors.
Whoop Delecto
AG
barnacle bob
AG
Zip wall, do it. It's cheap and effective.

if you have the space I would use two to make an enclosed area as people exit. Within this small barrier I would put the sticky mat to capture shoe debris.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.