DIY Mosquito Control

2,700 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jaggiemaggie
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody try to simulate Mosquito Joe to save significant cost?

https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/complete-mosquito-kit

https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/b-g-versa-backpack-fogger-45000000
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- I you need a side job / Business you could start a Pest Control Route, we'll give you a license + a truck, you are about 85% of the way to killing mosquitoes professionally. Some might pay $100-150k for a Mosquito franchise..

Pro Tip: Splash some White Vinegar in the mix to lower the PH & kill more mosquitoes

Quito
AG
I'm in Kansas City....I did think my boys could start a small business up and down our street.
jaggiemaggie
AG
I have the stihl backpack backpack sprayer I bought a couple of years ago and buy Talstar from doyourown. Works great here in Houston. I try to avoid the flowerbeds to minimize killing bees and butterflies.
planoaggie123
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

I have the stihl backpack backpack sprayer I bought a couple of years ago and buy Talstar from doyourown. Works great here in Houston. I try to avoid the flowerbeds to minimize killing bees and butterflies.
Do you have one of these:

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/sprayers/backpack-sprayers/sg20/

...or do you have a gas powered like this:

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/sprayers/backpack-sprayers/sr200/

I am looking forward to taking on mosquitos on my own this coming season. This past year in new home w/ pool and a significant amount of shrubbery etc we had a fairly brutal year compared to previous years (new home but same city so was suprised how much worse).
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
-Def need the gas. Blowing the product in shrubs, under leaves, and in hard to get to areas ( like under a wooden deck ) is the key

- Also, mix a 'surfactant' with the mixture before spraying. The Sun kills pest products & rain washes them away. A Backpack blower always makes the spray 'ultra fine' and into a fog which helps small particles cling to leaves and such
planoaggie123
AG
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers said:

-Def need the gas. Blowing the product in shrubs, under leaves, and in hard to get to areas ( like under a wooden deck ) is the key

- Also, mix a 'surfactant' with the mixture before spraying. The Sun kills pest products & rain washes them away. A Backpack blower always makes the spray 'ultra fine' and into a fog which helps small particles cling to leaves and such

I felt like that was going to be the answer...i was hoping to avoid a $450+ initial investment but realize it is just that...an investment. Should recoup in 2 years...

Edit:

Maybe something like this would actually work for my "home only" purpose (not doing multiple house, etc).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Fogger-Mister-with-2-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-P2850/307244559#overlay
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- just get the neighbors to pay $20-40 every month. Use the Backpack fogger to fund early retirement or pay for someone's college. Or $85-95 / month if you get good
Josepi
AG
Eco - My son has a small yard mowing route (6-8 homes). I wouldn't mind buying him one of those backpack blowers to offer mosquito service to his customers, and as a side bonus, I could use it for my own backyard.

However, would he need a pesticide license to charge his customers for spraying for mosquitoes?
jaggiemaggie
AG
I have the gas powered. Def worth the investment
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Josepi said:

Eco - My son has a small yard mowing route (6-8 homes). I wouldn't mind buying him one of those backpack blowers to offer mosquito service to his customers, and as a side bonus, I could use it for my own backyard.

However, would he need a pesticide license to charge his customers for spraying for mosquitoes?

- Yes, I think 16 is the youngest. Quick course + work for someone for a period of time on the side + pass the tests. ( But someone willing to pull a hose can find a small business to piggy back on for 6-8 homes under their supervision & be a tech for ~ 12 months with effort to start own LLC ).

- There is probably a small business owner, perhaps one close to retirement close by that would give all knowledge for free to someone getting started. Industry is aging, 20 - 40 year olds could prosper vs. competitors in Anytown USA entering the industry.

by 18 they could start paying for their own college with all the free time college gives..

Older people who don't care for government regulations all that much or taxes or insurance can tend to do as they please if they choose.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Josepi said:

- But also one "could" also get a type of Lawn & O License / Cert in Texas pretty much ASAP w/ a tiny insurance policy.. Maybe Start an LLC after Zoom classes & make more than the teacher.. (Kinda sad, but 2 hours spent spraying bugs in high school every day = math & tax benefits..)

Spraying for some types of pests fit into different categories, but many labels kill many pests & cross overs tend to happen everywhere.

Lawn guys branch further into Pest Regulations then most think if you crack open the Laws & Regs ( i read them in early middle school) but two different licenses and two different Laws & Regs to follow. ( but one can leapfrog into another)

It's legal to operate a lemonade stand for kids, but a high schooler can have a perfectly good small pest biz going. I would almost write a book about it to keep kids from entering Amazon.. but plumbers would laugh

jaggiemaggie
AG
I had looked at trying to get my structural pest control license to start a side gig for mosquito control. I didn't have the "biological science" degree to qualify (engineering major) I was told that if I got the lawn and ornamental pest control license and hold it for a year, I can apply for consideration to get the structural pest control license. I attended the course but never took the exam as I found a full-time job and had a second kid. Maybe I'll look into it again
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.