Removing a broken concrete anchor

922 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Cramp00
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a Tapcon concrete anchor break while driving into a brick. It broke about 3/4" into the brick.

The anchor is 3/16 wide, hole drilled with 5/32 bit per mfgt instructions.

any ideas to remove the rest of it? With it being such a small hole I don't have much room to spare without widening it to the point of unusable.
Take the trash out staff.
Builder93
AG
You'd have to break the brick. It's a bad idea to go straight into the brick. You want to be in the mortar. Also, whenever you drill your hole, drill past the depth you need and clean the hole out well. I run the bit in and out quite a bit until no more dust comes out and then I might vacuum it also.
jtp01
AG
I think it might be worth trying drilling and an EZ out.

Otherwise, depending how deep it broke off, you could try to patch with a cementitious patching material with an attempt at color matching.

Cramp00
I was taught to never drill into mortar as it's not designed to hold weight. You calling my dad a liar?
Builder93
AG
Cramp00 said:

I was taught to never drill into mortar as it's not designed to hold weight. You calling my dad a liar?
No, just ignorant.
Builder93
AG
Cramp00 said:

Holes in brick can cause them to crack from the heat of the drilling or even just because there is a weak point in the brick. You might have very little anchor engaging hollow brick if you get the thin part of the brick cheek. If you drill along the edge of the hollow, it can blow out the side and cause the anchor to deflect and leave with with almost no engagement. Brick is also hard to patch. You shouldn't be hanging anything that will be causing mostly withdrawal forces into masonry walls. That is where mortar is weak but not weak enough to cause a huge problem, especially newer mixes. It is best in shear with an anchor like a Tapcon.

I have hung 60" TV's that have been up for years on mortar joints .
Cramp00
Thanks. Learn something every day
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.