DIY Stain new build concrete floors or hire out?

1,285 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RK
will.mcg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it worth the savings to DIY this or just leave it to the professionals?
Matsui
AG
Professionals
Gilligan
AG
I've done this myself. Turned out great.

Hire someone!!!

I don't know how much square footage you have, but once you start you have to finish without stopping.

Hind sight is 20/20.
jtp01
AG
It truly depends on the project. More than 500 hundred square feet, hire it done.

I used to be in the decorative concrete for over a decade and did my own office floor in my last home. It was only a couple hundred square feet. Didn't take more than a weekend.

PREP PREP PREP. make certain you prep the floor more than you think you need to.

Take your time. You don't have to be in a hurry. Personally my next stain project will used water based so there won't need to be ready with baking soda to neutralize the stain process.

Clean the area VERY well ahead of staining. Anything on the floor when you seal will be accentuated with the sealer on it.

Be prepared for some variation in color from the "sample". Just understand that going in. Also, if you have cracks, highlight them. It will give the floor character and really can look nice.

badbilly
AG
I've done DIY, hire it out
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I stained my own, but I had someone seal it for me. If I had it to do over, I would have just hired it out.

will.mcg
AG
I'm glad to see all the advice is the same. It will be a whole 1,800 Sq Ft. I will take everyone's advice & leave it up to a professional.
Ikanizer
AG
Good luck hiring a professional.
Aggietaco
AG
Hire it out, have the floor ground/polished/stained and sealed prior to framing, have your builder protect it, and then do a final burnish/polish after removing flooring protection.
Agthatbuilds
Hire it out. It's really hard to fix if you do it wrong.
Whoop Delecto
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
We painted our white as a temporary measure while we save to install hardwoods.

Did it ourselves and it took 8 coats on 800 sqft (new addition). Never want to do that again...

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill]I prefer the red pills[/url]
will.mcg
AG
8 coats! Ouch.
RK
AG
given it's a new home, if you have a wife, don't do it yourself. unless you're looking for a reason to end up dead or divorced.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.