Hot Water Heater Question

987 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Col. Steve Austin
Trench55
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My hot water seems to be around 113F. I'read that standard these days is 120F. Is this an enough deviation to indicate I need to have the heating elements replaced? Oh, and yes, it is electric.
Picard
AG
Turn the setting higher

And why are you heating hot water a second time?
AggieRob93
AG
My 80gal electric was not heating water well a few years ago. Home is in San Antonio, so water is from the Edward's Aquifer, which has a very high mineral content.

One Saturday, decided to turn off water, unplug electric, and drain tank. Draining of tank was slow, so I quickly figured out there was sediment/mineral build up in bottom of tank. Managed to get it drained and pulled the upper element - nothing to see. Pulled the lower element, which is located about 6" from the bottom of the tank, and it was buried in white mineral buildup. I spent the next 3-4 hours cleaning out the tank, soaked the elements in white vinegar and then cleaned them. Buttoned everything back up, turned on water, and a few hours later had water hotter than it had been prior to cleaning, thanks to a now cleared lower heating element. I did not touch the thermostat on the water heater.

Long story short, you might check the the tank is clear of buildup, which could well hamper the heating ability of the element(s). You could also increase the thermostat temp, but if the water in the tank is not able to circulate around the element(s), bumping up the thermostat won't help.
Trench55
AG
Picard said:

Turn the setting higher

And why are you heating hot water a second time?

I'm sure there's a joke here, but it seems to be going over my old gray head.

I rechecked, and the water temp came out about 117F, so I think I'll just leave well enough alone. However, I probably do need to clean the tank.

Thanks for the advice all.
Kenneth_2003
AG
You called it a "HOT water heater" implying that you're heating already hot water.

It's running thing on this thread with the common mis-nomer of what is simply a "Water Heater"

You're not the first victim of this here, and you won't be the last.
Trench55
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

You called it a "HOT water heater" implying that you're heating already hot water.

It's running thing on this thread with the common mis-nomer of what is simply a "Water Heater"

Thanks forthe explanation. Guess I'll have to be a bit more precise in my posts from now on.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Trench55 said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

Thanks forthe explanation. Guess I'll have to be a bit more precise in my posts from now on.
I probably would have called it a hot water heater, just like probably 99% of people I know.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.