Sherwin Williams super paint

2,433 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Builder93
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is the most uncooperative paint I have ever used. It will not spread. Brush, roller, whatever. It leaves little unpainted spots. You almost have to do 3 coats and at $50 a gallon and limited time, this is bullcrap. Is there a trick to this stuff? Super paint and primer in one. Interior acrylic latex. I have used a couple different brushes with the same result and the rollers I use are 3/8 nap.
Flashdiaz
AG
"You almost have to do 3 coats and at $50 a gallon"

the full name is super (profitable for Sherwin Williams) paint.

I have nothing helpful to add :/
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Did you prime? I've had pretty good results rolling and spraying both their super paint and cashmere, but did a good job priming with their wall and wood primer.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
First room no prime. Next room prime. Same crappy results. Got two more rooms worth of this stuff. Wife bought it all at once. Yay.
aggiedent
AG
Never had a problem with it. You must be a very BAD painter.
Builder93
AG
Use a 3/4" nap lambswool roller. Your crappy little roller is pulling the paint off the wall. It may seem counter intuitive, but that's the key to a good professional job. Take the roller out of the bag, wet it down in the sink, then wring in out. Put it on the frame, roll it slowly into the paint pan, allowing the paint to absorb into the roller. Back it out and get rid of a little bit of excess, Then using a roller with and extension, start at the bottom of the wall and go up as high as you can and then back down. Don't go back and forth over the area you already painted, maybe go over it once to get excess paint off.

This type of roller will hold lots of paint and lay it down in a thick enough layer that you won't be doing more than 2 coats. Most problems with painting are the operator and tools, not the paint.

I have had lambswool rollers last for years. Just clean them out well and store them. Be patient when cleaning. They are not throw away items. Don't let them sit around while you take a break either. Wrap it with a plastic bag so the paint doesn't dry out especially with acrylics. They dry out quickly.
Builder93
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

This is the most uncooperative paint I have ever used. It will not spread. Brush, roller, whatever. It leaves little unpainted spots. You almost have to do 3 coats and at $50 a gallon and limited time, this is bullcrap. Is there a trick to this stuff? Super paint and primer in one. Interior acrylic latex. I have used a couple different brushes with the same result and the rollers I use are 3/8 nap.
What kind of brush are you using?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
From the depot. Their middle tier.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Builder93
AG
Always get a professional brush. It pays for itself. You are talking 3-5 dollars more. They also last longer and lay the paint down better.
JP76
For latex use a nylon brush

Purdy 100% nylon is my choice

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Purdy-Nylox--Paint-brushes-Paint-brushes-rollers-Paint/4294729393?refinement=4294965387,1399697613

Can also be found at some Sherwin Williams

Your roller is to thin of nap

Use a microfiber 1/2 inch nap

I've have never liked the super paint line.

My preference for interior wall paint from SW is

ProMar 400

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Thanks. I will try this.
BCOBQ98
AG
Paint is cheap compared to my labor time. I usually prime and buy the behr top of the line marque paint at Home Depot. Never been unhappy.
evan_aggie
AG
I've used SW Super for years and have been impressed vs the one or two times I tried Behr or Valspar.

As builder93 said, spots and what not are due to roller being used vs wall texture most likely.

But super remains relatively workable for quite a while, goes on well without a primer. I covered red with a green and had no issues.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The new roller is kicking ass. Haven't used the brush yet. The half inch is a thirsty mofo and throws a bunch of paint up there. I still don't like the SW, but it is better now. Thanks.
Post removed:
by user
Gilligan
AG
ProMar 400 and I've never had a problem with it.

...and I hate to paint.
AgProgrammer
AG
I personally hate SW Super. I'm a big fan of Behr Marquee or Behr Premium Ultra. I think it's a great paint for the price per gallon.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Not yet. I did epoxy the garage floor, but painting the inside of the garage seems a bit too far. This house we bought needs a fresh coat on just about every surface.
YellAg2004
AG
We used SW Super Paint for our remodel and we're/are very happy with it. It went on smoothly on primed walls and has touched up perfectly over the past two years.

I asked the painter what SW paint he would use on his house, letting him choose anything from Pro Mar to Emerald and he said he would use the Super Paint, so that's what we went with.
Builder93
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

The new roller is kicking ass. Haven't used the brush yet. The half inch is a thirsty mofo and throws a bunch of paint up there. I still don't like the SW, but it is better now. Thanks.
Good to hear. Painting can be very therapeutic with the right tools. Like Mr Miyagi, Milwaukee-san.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.