Adding a second light fixture in the garage

1,062 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About 2 and a half years ago, I added this fixture to my garage where the original light (one light bulb outlet; re-hard wired) was:

400-Watt Equivalent Integrated LED

The lighting is decent but I'd like to add another one -- same light -- to the other side of the garage. In order to do that, I'll take this light down, put a junction box where the bulb was, and wire to where I want the two lights to go, add the appropriate boxes, and reinstall the lights.

My question is that by my calculations, these lights draw a little less than 1.5 amps per light. What's weird is that the HD page says "277 volts." What is that referring to? Household current would be 120 volts (max) right? Either way, how do I check to make sure that won't overload the circuit? This is, as stated, in a garage with approximately 4 OTHER receptacle outlets, including the one the GDO is on, and 2 light switches -- one inside the house, and the other near the garage door (for whatever reason; never gets used).
dead zip 01
AG
    From the product description: Multi-Volt 120-277v - Suitable for damp locations

So they can be wired for standard residential service, it also says they pull 171 watts per light, which is less than 2 amps at 120 volts.
akaggie05
AG
Quote:

What's weird is that the HD page says "277 volts." What is that referring to?

Lighting circuits in large commercial buildings are usually 277 volts. This is typical when you have a three-phase system, running at 480V phase to phase. In these systems, you wind up with 277V phase to neutral. It's more cost effective in large installations to use the higher voltage for lighting... less current needed so thinner wire can be used, plus an overall reduction in transformer capacity needed for step-down to 120V.

But, as mentioned above, it sounds like this light is perfectly happy with anything ranging from 120 to 277V.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
These take very little power but remember to correctly size the wire to the circuit. If this is a 20a circuit, use 12/2 wire. If it is 15a, use 14/2 wire.
GE
AG
These may be worth checking out as a cheaper and easier to work with item

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUKSZE3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

HollywoodBQ
AG
For whatever it's worth, I'm outlet limited in my garage and I needed to add some work lights in there.

I've found that between Home Depot and Lowes, they don't always have what I need so sometimes I browse through my local True Value hardware store also.

I found these plug-in, linkable (read - daisy chain) LED shop lights. The ones I got are rated at 5500 lumens. 2 of those made a huge difference in my garage and only took a couple minutes to install. Took about as long to dispose of the cardboard box as it did to put the lights in.

This is the only example I could find of the lights I bought.
https://www.hardwareandtools.com/power-zone-51010-light-shop-led-4500-lumen-4ft-dfja-3233.html

Something like that might be an easier option for you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.