Bath Faucet dripping, but having trouble removing handle to get to cartridge

967 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by helgs
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, my bath faucet started dripping (about 1 drip every 30 seconds, but starting to get faster).
I googled how to fix and apparently I should be able to fix easily with either cartridge replacement or just an entire new set of faucet, etc.

The problem is that after 10+ years of water corrosion, the tiny hex nut that is holding it in would not budge even after multiple attempts with penetrating oil.

and now the head is stripped so I can't get the handle off to access the cartridge.

My first thought is to just drill in to the hex nut with a drill bit to remove it. If I do that I know I'll have to replace entire faucet handle set, but I'm okay with that at this point.

But before I do that, wanted to get some advice here from people who may have more experience with it

Picture below shows the hex nut that will NOT budge.

allMondjoy
You could try an extracto bit. If not just drill out. Should be good to go.
allMondjoy
You could try an extracto bit. If not just drill out. Should be good to go.
Builder93
AG
Use an extractor bit but also put some ice on it and see if it will help.
91_Aggie
AG
I finally had to drill it out... so much built up calcium once I got it out.

Got cartridge replaced... luckily a common Delta Cartridge that Lowes had.

no more drip.

Now I need to find a screw/bolt just the right size to try to fit into the newly drilled out bigger hole to hold the handle in place.
helgs
AG
Time value of money. You got 10 years out of it. Spend $75 and get a new faucet.
91_Aggie
AG
helgs said:

Time value of money. You got 10 years out of it. Spend $75 and get a new faucet.

It is already fixed. Found a screw at Lowes that works.

Even if i bought a new faucet, I still had to get the handle off which was my original question here.

But thanks for offering advice to buy a new one about a week after.
helgs
AG
Yeah I realized that after I already posted. Too lazy to delete. Glad you got it fixed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.