Luxury Vinyl Floors Question

7,415 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by theagmax
Trucker2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have experience with luxury vinyl flooring branded as Eva Floors? They appear to be based out of Houston and Dallas per their website, and a local Katy flooring installation company is pushing one of their luxury vinyl products. Price point seems to be good (much cheaper than coretec, karndean, etc.), but we cannot find any reviews on the product or Eva Floors in general. Installation company has great online reviews, but no specific comments within the reviews regarding the Eva brand. We are mostly concerned about durability, even though they have a 25-year warranty, since we are looking to replace flooring throughout our entire 2-story house, including stairs.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Can't help you much other than I know "Luxury" and "Vinyl Floors" don't belong in the same sentence.
Caliber
AG
West Texas Lawyer said:

Can't help you much other than I know "Luxury" and "Vinyl Floors" don't belong in the same sentence.
These aren't your grandma's vinyl floors.

LVP is the term they came up with when they really starting rolling out Vinyl plank flooring. Beats Laminate for sure and I would install it over Engineering wood planks if you have kids, pets, a pool, very active lifestyle...

This isn't the cheap vinyl sheets of the 70s and 80s. These actually look really good. You see a ton of vinyl plank going in on the coast in really high end houses.
one MEEN Ag
AG
No clue about that brand, but I went with Republic Floor's rigid LVP and they've been awesome. Paid $3 a sq foot out of a Houston supplier when they go for $6 online. I can share more info if you'd like. Best images and surface finish on the boards by far. Even better than Karndean.

Texker
AG
We had Coretec installed last Dec.on the arcade stairs and in the arcade bar and bath.
AtlAg05
AG
This thread is useless without pics!
Señor Chang
AG
Texker said:

We had Coretec installed last Dec.on the arcade stairs and in the arcade bar and bath.

You have an arcade?!?
Texker
AG
It's a game room but we call it an arcade because when we remodeled the space arcade fit more of what we were going for than game room. Plus arcade sounds better.
Post removed:
by user
c-jags
We're going with LVP on our remodel. We liked the laminate but it just couldn't handle getting wet at all without bowing.

I've really liked it in houses where I've seen it.
htxag09
AG
My sister just bought a house with a pool so did LVP throughout the first floor and stairs. I like the look, minus the stairs. The end caps just don't seem to match right with the lvp planks on the stair, not sure if it was the brand they got or the installer.

Also, I'm not a fan of the ones with a lot of color variance. Looks too fake, IMO.
sixiron
AG
We had luxury vinyl installed throughout our house after it flooded from Harvey. We love it.

This is the exact product we went with: https://www.weshipfloors.com/flooring/adura-max-prime-tribeca-timber-45mm-x-7-x-48
Aggiehunter34
S
one MEEN Ag said:

No clue about that brand, but I went with Republic Floor's rigid LVP and they've been awesome. Paid $3 a sq foot out of a Houston supplier when they go for $6 online. I can share more info if you'd like. Best images and surface finish on the boards by far. Even better than Karndean.

inbox me the info if you don't mind
Texker
AG
AtlAg05 said:

This thread is useless without pics!

Before and after. Still need to refinish the handrail.
Post removed:
by user
Texker
AG
Thanks. I am in Dallas. Ideally, the rail would have been done before the floor but that didn't work out. House was built in '88 so there was a fair amount of work to do including removing the popcorn ceilings from the entire house and the garage.
62strat
AG
West Texas Lawyer said:

they've belonged together in the same sentence for a decade now.

I am in commercial construction, and some of the stuff the archs spec is more expensive than wood flooring (for offices)
bkag9824
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Mind shooting me the dealer info?

bkag 9824 @ hot mail

Hope all is well, been a while.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Sorry for missing this. The best prices for Republic Flooring Tile were at Sherwin Williams Floorcovering Store. It was like $2.79/sq ft for PURE SPC MAX, woodland oak. Here's the Republic website. https://www.republicfloor.com/copy-of-glacier-point-1

The Sherwin Williams phone number is 17136826161, 1331 E 40th St, Houston, TX 77022. I do not know if those prices are current (bought last year), but they didn't have any minimums to get that price.

I highly recommend going to the Republic Flooring Store Showroom off off I-10 and Beltway 8.
Address: 3600 Brittmoore Rd, Houston, TX 77043, United States
Phone: +1 713 595 4243

That place will have everything that Republic makes. The only issue is they will not tell you any prices. You have to go through a retailer. That Sherwin Williams place was the result of calling everyone of their suppliers in Houston to get the best price.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Hey hope you're doing well!

I just replied to a guy above with the information.
Post removed:
by user
one MEEN Ag
AG
third coast.. said:

That wasn't price installed wqs it?
No, thats just the material. Delivery was cheap. $50 to have basically a pallet and a half show up to my house. I did my own removal and installation. Thats still the cheapest price. Everywhere else I looked wanted like 4.50-6.50 a sq ft just for the material.

When we saw quotes for a full job it was just jaw dropping. $3/sq foot for removal of old floors (this was premium dust free removal prices), $4-6/sq for the material and $3-4 for installation. Just stupid expensive as I did around 1,800 sq ft.

My back gets sore just thinking about the time I had removing and installing flooring.
RustyBoltz
AG
My parents installed Amtico in the early 2000s and it shows no wear, fading, or denting. My mother just replaced her std fridge with a counter depth and there was no indication of a change in depth on the floor below.
Aggiehunter34
S
one MEEN Ag said:

Sorry for missing this. The best prices for Republic Flooring Tile were at Sherwin Williams Floorcovering Store. It was like $2.79/sq ft for PURE SPC MAX, woodland oak. Here's the Republic website. https://www.republicfloor.com/copy-of-glacier-point-1

The Sherwin Williams phone number is 17136826161, 1331 E 40th St, Houston, TX 77022. I do not know if those prices are current (bought last year), but they didn't have any minimums to get that price.

I highly recommend going to the Republic Flooring Store Showroom off off I-10 and Beltway 8.
Address: 3600 Brittmoore Rd, Houston, TX 77043, United States
Phone: +1 713 595 4243

That place will have everything that Republic makes. The only issue is they will not tell you any prices. You have to go through a retailer. That Sherwin Williams place was the result of calling everyone of their suppliers in Houston to get the best price.

Appreciate the info!
theagmax
AG
First of all, thanks for the wealth of info!

Couple of quick questions if I may? First, you mentioned the back-ache that resulted from trying to do this yourself. I've seen mixed reviews online about how easy/hard this is. Would you choose to self-install again? Or hire someone to handle it? I'm talking furniture moving, pulling up baseboards, painting them, reinstalling, etc. on top of just cutting and installing the floor itself. I have a mix of carpet and tile throughout my house (aprox. 1,800 SF of which I'm looking to change the floor) and weighing self-install vs pro.

Second, how is the sound level of the Republic Flooring SPC Max? I don't have kids, but do have two 80+ pound labs. I'm concerned that their nails will be a big annoyance on any kind of flooring apart from carpet, but just curious how the noise level was on these in particular? Any anecdotal evidence you've got from your 1-yr+ of experience with them would be most helpful!

Thanks again!
CalAG
AG
I don't know about the rest, but here is my experience...

I had purchased a house with a mix of carpet and tile in the main living area. The carpet was worn out and my wife didn't like the tile.

Pulling up carpet is a breeze. The biggest issue is disposal. If you don't have a way to haul it to the dump it is going to be difficult.

The tile on the other hand was a different story. I paid a guy to come in and chip the tile out. He spent a solid 2 days doing a kitchen and eating area, which was more work than I was willing to do. I don't remember how much it was for him to do it, but it was worth every penny.

In the event you have an island on tile in your kitchen, the tile may be under that island. In that case, the island needs to be removed and reset, which can be a big job depending on the size of the island.

Laying the vinyl plank wasn't a bad job at all. get a good knife with replaceable blades for cutting and have a solid plan for getting the work done. I laid 1100 sq feet myself in a weekend with only minimal help moving furniture around. Get a good set of kneepads, and watch a lot of videos to get tips on how to do it.

As far as dogs go, we bought mid range product (can't remember the type) and it held up to our Boxer for a few years, and a renter that had a lab for 3 more years. When they moved out and we sold it, there was not a single mark on the stuff. It was IMPRESSIVE in its performance.

The house was louder with that than with the carpet, but no louder than it would have been with laminate or all tile.
theagmax
AG
Thanks Cal!

Did you go with the Republic Flooring that is already mentioned in this thread? Or another brand? I appreciate the insight on the dogs. My labs are 5 and 9, but still act like puppies most of the time! Any suggestions that you might share on helping reduce the noise as much as possible?

Thanks again!
motherrunnersBCS
There is a lot less dog claw noise on the LVP in my house than there was on laminate. I think the vinyl is less than noisy than laminate or tile.
motherrunnersBCS
One of the strange things about LVP is that you are not supposed to put down anything rubberized or it will change the color of the vinyl. At least that was the case 5 years ago.
theagmax
AG
Thanks runner!

By "putting down anything rubber," I assume you mean on top of the flooring? As in, no rubber backed floor-mats or anything? Does the discoloration effect hold true with the little rubber pads on the bottom of the dog beds? I hadn't thought of that till you mentioned it, but the beds that mine have all have those little rubber grips on the bottom of them. Never gave it much thought since I currently have carpet.

Thanks again for the reply!
maverick2076
Www.floorstoyourhome.com is a great place to buy flooring. We used it for our house in Rosenberg, and we will use them again at our current house.
Big12Champ06
We had CoreTec Calypso Oak installed during our remodel in October by a well known B/CS flooring store and we're not too happy. We have LOTS of deflection (when you walk on it the planks slap down on the slab). It's loud and sounds cheap and it definitely was not cheap. We also already have scratches. I have a different brand LVP in my office and we have had none of these issues there which is why we put it in the house. I guess you have to be super sure your slab is prepped adequately.
motherrunnersBCS
Basically, if it is marked safe for use on hardwood floors, it will be safe on LVP. Have to be careful with bathroom rugs, the kind with the rubber or plastic backing. I am using all cotton rugs, which are probably not as safe from slipping, but in four years has not caused any damage to my floors. If you read reviews and people are complaining about marks or discoloration on their wood floors from rugs or rug pads, it will do the same to your LVP.
theagmax
AG
"Thanks Maverick!" Anyone else picturing "Cougar" saying that? Or just me? ;-)

Big12 - Do you know the brand in your office by chance?

Runner - you've been a treasure of good info, and I really appreciate it!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.