Garage Windows

1,022 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggietaco
TexAg2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In Houston. I'm considering adding a few windows in my detached garage. I'd like the ability to open them to get some cross ventilation when I'm working in there and would also like more natural lighting. Garage was built in the 1960's and is uninsulated, open rafters, no drywall. The wall section is wood studs, sheathing, then cedar shakes.

What is the most cost effective place to source windows for this? I'll install them myself. I've heard of Habitat for Humanity Restore and assume they will be cheaper there than at HD or Lowes, but I've never visited one and understand options are probably limited. Any advice?
Aggietaco
AG
Craigslist, FB Marketplace, and Habitat Restore will all be similar. You'll be limited to whatever someone has donated, over ordered, wrongly ordered, or removed from an existing.

Standard sized windows at blue/orange are very inexpensive to start with, especially if you don't care about efficiency, but I would start with the other places first to see if you can find however many matching windows that you're looking for.
Builder93
AG
Ask a window supplier if they have any returns or mis-measured windows for cheap
Caliber
AG
Aggietaco said:

Craigslist, FB Marketplace, and Habitat Restore will all be similar. You'll be limited to whatever someone has donated, over ordered, wrongly ordered, or removed from an existing.

Standard sized windows at blue/orange are very expensive to start with, especially if you don't care about efficiency, but I would start with the other places first to see if you can find however many matching windows that you're looking for.
I think you meant to type INexpensive? You can get some pretty cheap options ordered in.

Being able to custom build your opening to the window, you can come up with some cheap options, especially ignoring all the fancy low e features.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Craigslist or Home Depot.
agnerd
AG
Make sure you put bars on those windows in Houston.
TexAg2001
AG
agnerd said:

Make sure you put bars on those windows in Houston.
I'm in Maplewood on the SW side of town. We have the occassional break-ins, but the regular Constable patrols help to deter crime I think. My street also has several older homeowners that have lived in their homes since they built them in the 60's and I swear they sit by their windows most of the day and call the Constables every time they see a car or person they don't recognize on the street. LOL

I hadn't thought about FB Marketplace or Craigslist. I'll start looking around to see what can be found. Thanks!
Aggietaco
AG
Brad06ag said:

Aggietaco said:

Standard sized windows at blue/orange are very expensive to start with, especially if you don't care about efficiency, but I would start with the other places first to see if you can find however many matching windows that you're looking for.
I think you meant to type INexpensive? You can get some pretty cheap options ordered in.

Being able to custom build your opening to the window, you can come up with some cheap options, especially ignoring all the fancy low e features.
Correct, thanks for catching that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.