Cost to Build This?

3,701 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by third coast..
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I''d like to build something similar to this. Has anyone done the same? I have no idea what to expect to budget for something like this. This being the outdoor kitchen. I'd like to add a sink and don't need the BGE but basically this.

txag2008
AG
Are you building it or hiring out?

If DIY, I'll say ~$12-16k
If you're hiring out, I'd say ~$27-35k

That's not including the concrete/flagstone, not sure what you currently have.
combat wombat™
AG
Yeah, were not qualified to do any of that work; we're going to have to hire someone.
TMoney2007
AG
txag2008 said:

Yeah,... "Patios" and "Outdoor kitchen" mean huge markup... It's insane.
AggieOO
buddy of mine did something very similar and it was about 30K. No BGE or firepit, but he did an outdoor fireplace with large TV above + sound. Austin-area.

edit - realized that was a BGE, not pizza oven.
Builder93
AG
Wood cost is through the roof now. It will be 5-10% higher.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
combat wombat said:

I''d like to build something similar to this. Has anyone done the same? I have no idea what to expect to budget for something like this. This being the outdoor kitchen. I'd like to add a sink and don't need the BGE but basically this.

Im a little rusty as Ive been out of the industry for a few years but youre looking well over 30k.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Take my advice as a grain of salt, I got skewered on another board for opining a high estimate for job. An outdoor kitchen is going to be more expensive as an new indoor kitchen-you've got everything besides drywalled windows plus adding rooflines. So assume $200-250/sqft

Couple of big ticket things:
Run plumbing/tie back into sewer
Run electrical/potentially upgrade panel (hopefully not)
Regrade yard, lay stone down

Medium ticket things:
Choosing the stone
Choosing the granite
Choosing to go with full cedar beams instead of cladding wood with cedar finish

Things you can come back and finish later:
Firepit (assuming your not adding a gas assist)
Cladding interior of roof

I know you think you don't have any skills, but if 35-50k is too much to swallow I think you can save money most easily in a few ways:
-No flagstone, just stained concrete
-No stacked stone, go with a modern farmhouse board and batton look
-No big exposed beams, go with cheaper laminated beams and clad with cedar
-Do the electrical lights yourself
-Do the stacked stone yourself (its super easy, it goes in sections)

Thing I would never do myself:
-Install countertops and roofs.

Everything else is just a test of patience between how quickly my wallet replenishes versus how agitated my wife is for the project not being done.

Cromagnum
AG
Where are you located? I had a guy do my entire patio last year. Wall it in, windows, tiles, installation of granite, sink, cabinets, install bbq grill, install power burner, install ventilation and lighting. I had to buy my own appliances, but the total cost I was charged was like 30k.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Also, nobody is quoting the detached house. 4k if its a dollhouse, 8k if its living quarters for a four-foot tall mother in law.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Cromagnum said:

Where are you located? I had a guy do my entire patio last year. Wall it in, windows, tiles, installation of granite, sink, cabinets, install bbq grill, install power burner, install ventilation and lighting. I had to buy my own appliances, but the total cost I was charged was like 30k.
and that doesnt include his concrete or the roof structure
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Take my advice as a grain of salt, I got skewered on another board for opining a high estimate for job. An outdoor kitchen is going to be more expensive as an new indoor kitchen-you've got everything besides drywalled windows plus adding rooflines. So assume $200-250/sqft

Medium ticket things:
Choosing the stone
Choosing the granite

I know you think you don't have any skills, but if 35-50k is too much to swallow I think you can save money most easily in a few ways:

Everything else is just a test of patience between how quickly my wallet replenishes versus how agitated my wife is for the project not being done.

Going solid Cedar instead of lumber and cladding is NOT a medium ticket portion. That Pavilion in cedar beams would be probably 12-15k
JP76
cpsencik04 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Medium ticket things:
Choosing the stone
Choosing the granite

Going solid Cedar instead of lumber and cladding is NOT a medium ticket portion. That Pavilion in cedar beams would be probably 12-15k

Cedar is insane right now

Got a price for some 8x8's today for a project and they are nearly $600 per 8x8
toolshed
AG
What length 8x8?
JP76
TMoney2007 said:

txag2008 said:

You realize skilled labor doesn't work for free ?
toolshed
AG
cpsencik04 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Medium ticket things:
Choosing the stone
Choosing the granite

False...

The only cedar I would bid in that project is the four posts and the end beam and vertical "web" pieces. I'd do solid vs clad as clad looks bad in a few years.

I'd use 8x8 for posts vs 6x6 for scale. 6x6 would look skinny when it's all said and done. 8x8x10' posts are around $250 ea right now, only about $30 more than they were in may. The beam at the ends can be 4x12 at that span. We just did one that is a 20'+ span and used a 6x12x24. I don't have the new price on it but the beam in May was $730. We used 4x6 for the web pieces under the ridge. Those would be $60-70 each based on pricing from last week.

All of the ceiling material can be pine, stained whatever color you want. Rafters, ridge, side beams can be yellow pine. Wrap the side beams with hardi or similar, as in the example in the OP.

So even with the over sized 6x12, I'd be at about $2200-2500 for the cedar in that structure.

Dimensional pine for rafters and such is what's crazy right now, but on a project that size, you aren't breaking the bank, even at double or more what prices were a year ago.

I'd guess $30-45,000, depending on some of the variables mentioned above, electrical and plumbing supplies, ease of getting concrete to the back yard, amount of cabinet/ countertop area.

toolshed
AG
JP76 said:

TMoney2007 said:

txag2008 said:

This was my thought! the "huge markup" defference between them was free labor DIY vs paying for labor and a GC to plan and schedule everything for you.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
That isnt what he said....he said if you chose to go with solid cedar...wrapping pine isnt using solid cedar. Just because you would bid that way doesnt mean its the only way to build it. I sold cedar structures for 5 years....LOTS of people want to pay up for solid cedar and not build with pine and wrap it
toolshed
AG
And I gave actual pricing for solid cedar beams, posts, etc. from a job currently in progress. For four 8x8x10' posts and the cedar beam and web work on the two ends of that structure, in solid cedar, is no where near 12-15K. That's the only cedar in the OP's picture.

I agree, wrapping pine with cedar cladding isn't the same, looks bad and even worse later, which was also mentioned above in my post.
agz win
AG
Don't do the built in for the fire pit bench. Get individual adirondacks so people can be comfortable and move around to stay warm.
combat wombat™
AG
I just want the outdoor kitchen. I can use a mobile firepit and Adirondack chairs.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Also for the fire pit, I would look at solo stove's bonefire. It's like a giant yeti cup for a fire pit. Can put on stone or wood and not ruin the surface with its heat.

Would work really well with chairs.
AggieOO
agz win said:

Don't do the built in for the fire pit bench. Get individual adirondacks so people can be comfortable and move around to stay out of the smoke.

Fify

ravingfans
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Also, nobody is quoting the detached house. 4k if its a dollhouse, 8k if its living quarters for a four-foot tall mother in law.

How much for a 5'2 MIL dollhouse???
TMoney2007
AG
JP76 said:

TMoney2007 said:

txag2008 said:

I'm well aware. "Luxury" builds like outdoor kitchens and patio covers get higher markup because they're luxury projects. I've seen trucks driving around that say "patios starting at $18k"... no qualifiers, that's just the least that they would charge. They charge more because they can get more, but patio building isn't some magical trade that's different from carpentry and stonework.

If you actually read my posts on here, you wouldn't throw that kind of bull**** at me.
agz win
AG
Just some observations...

Where's a sink?
You setting up a bar with drinks? Small fridge/ice maker?
Adequate hidden storage?
TV angled only for those sitting at the back bar and not for those at the firepit?
Those sitting in those bar chairs gonna get wet being so close to te edge of the roof when it rains?
Is that a griddle? Good to have, if it's not.
Don't want the kind of lights attracting bugs.

This build could be budgeted at a lower cost and there are still nice cheaper option choices so don't be freaked at initial sticker shock.

Can you provide photo of your grounds where you want it?
lunchbox
I have a friend who just did something VERY similar to the pic in the OP. I had to check twice to make sure the pic wasn't from his backyard...

It was 22K for the structure, countertops, cabinets, etc.
$3K for grill and accessories (fridge, etc.)
The concrete pad was included as part of his new pool buildout so he's not sure how much that would work out to be just for this.
AggieSam02
AG
The outdoor kitchen like that would run $15k-$20k. The structure would be around the same. Probably $10k for the flagstone decking and $3k-$5k for firepit. Add in misc such as utility runs (gas, electric) and you are probably in the $50k range for a project like that photo.

The appliance package alone would run you close to $4-$5k. Granite would be about $2500 for material fabrication and install.

If you're in Houston we can certainly assist even if you want to DIY. We have a full service grill store and we include free design and construction drawings if you buy your appliances from us.

www.creekstoneoutdoors.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.