Home Attic Pest Deterrent

2,395 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We live near creeks and woods so there's no lack of animals/pests around here. I've had many neighbors get mice and squirrels in their attic. Has anyone every tried one of the electronic pest deterrent machines? I don't think I have any but I'd like to be proactive if possible.

https://www.amazon.com/Thanos-Ultrasonic-Electronic-Repellent-Deterrent/dp/B08D3MD8FX/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3EC1D5MT026AR&dchild=1&keywords=attic+mouse+repellent&qid=1600308573&sprefix=attic+mouse%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Diaotec-Squirrel-Repellent-Ultrasonic-Deterrent/dp/B089GMLXHX/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3EC1D5MT026AR&dchild=1&keywords=attic+mouse+repellent&qid=1600308573&sprefix=attic+mouse%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-3
DeLaHonta
AG
Try to find a credible source that has evidence ultrasonic pest repellers repellers work. You can't, because they don't.

The fact that nearly all ultrasonic pest repellents on Amazon have nearly 100% 5-star ratings should tell you that the ratings are fake.
sts7049
AG
the best way to deal with this is stop them from getting in
JP76
I've used these in IRL and they seem to keep mice and rats away. I've also seen it used in an application where poison could not be used because of children and it resolved the mice issue the person was having. You can get them at Walmart and unlike the other ultrasonic they do not make any noise that is audible to humans . I was skeptical at first but they have worked for me in multiple scenarios. Also if you get them at Walmart you can always return it if you don't think it is making a difference for your situation

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pest-Offense-Electronic-Indoor-Pest-Control-POBD-I-01/202712850?keyword=pest+offense+electronic+repellent&searchtype=suggest&semanticToken=d031008301220000_03a08b890b2dcdf5e414d84707d66719_1600360666293+d031008301220000+%3E++cnn%3A%7B0%3A0%7D+cnp%3A%7B10%3A0%7D+cnd%3A%7B4%3A0%7D+cne%3A%7B8%3A0%7D+cns%3A%7B5%3A0%7D+cnx%3A%7B3%3A0%7D+cnq%3A%7B15%3A0%7D+cnw%3A%7B0%3A0%7D+cnv%3A%7B0%3A0%7D+st%3A%7Bpest+offense+electronic+repellent%7D%3Ast+oos%3A%7B0%3A1%7D+br%3A%7Bpest+offense%7D%3Abr+pt%3A%7Belectronic+repellent%7D%3Apt+dln%3A%7B5295303643%7D+smf%3A%7Bca%2Cbr%7D%3Asmf+nf%3A%7B1%7D%3Anf+qu%3A%7Bpest+offense+electronic+repellent%7D%3Aqu
Vernada
AG
sts7049 said:

Steel wool is great to stuff into openings
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- Once serviced a very large property with ~50 structures on it for pest mgmt for awhile. Probably had ~300 of these type of devices plugged in to help potentially keep rodents away.

I can confirm "Those Devices" probably didn't do much..

Rodent Bait Boxes + Copper Mesh did get the job done ( Steel Wool rusts too fast and doesn't allow the opening to breath well)
lunchbox
JP76 said:

I've used these in IRL and they seem to keep mice and rats away. I've also seen it used in an application where poison could not be used because of children and it resolved the mice issue the person was having. You can get them at Walmart and unlike the other ultrasonic they do not make any noise that is audible to humans . I was skeptical at first but they have worked for me in multiple scenarios. Also if you get them at Walmart you can always return it if you don't think it is making a difference for your situation

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pest-Offense-Electronic-Indoor-Pest-Control-POBD-I-01/202712850?keyword=pest+offense+electronic+repellent&searchtype=suggest&semanticToken=d031008301220000_03a08b890b2dcdf5e414d84707d66719_1600360666293+d031008301220000+%3E++cnn%3A%7B0%3A0%7D+cnp%3A%7B10%3A0%7D+cnd%3A%7B4%3A0%7D+cne%3A%7B8%3A0%7D+cns%3A%7B5%3A0%7D+cnx%3A%7B3%3A0%7D+cnq%3A%7B15%3A0%7D+cnw%3A%7B0%3A0%7D+cnv%3A%7B0%3A0%7D+st%3A%7Bpest+offense+electronic+repellent%7D%3Ast+oos%3A%7B0%3A1%7D+br%3A%7Bpest+offense%7D%3Abr+pt%3A%7Belectronic+repellent%7D%3Apt+dln%3A%7B5295303643%7D+smf%3A%7Bca%2Cbr%7D%3Asmf+nf%3A%7B1%7D%3Anf+qu%3A%7Bpest+offense+electronic+repellent%7D%3Aqu
I tried out something similar once years ago. I caught a live earwig and put in a jar. I plugged one of these in and put the jar next to it....the earwig flipped over and spazzed out. I unplugged the thing and it earwig started walking around again...

I wouldn't use it as the only solution but if you need a nightlight somewhere, it won't hurt to plug one of these in.
PlanoAg98
AG
What about real fox urine as a rodent deterrent? Do you have to have foxes in your neighborhood or do these rodents have born instincts to recognize this?

https://www.amazon.com/Leg-Up-Urine-Dispensers-8-Ounce/dp/B000A0QUK4/ref=sr_1_8?crid=GYEY0TBARVG9&dchild=1&keywords=red+fox+urine&qid=1600982574&sprefix=red+fox%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-8

Cromagnum
AG
Vernada said:

sts7049 said:

Steel wool is great to stuff into openings

Copper wool (chore boy) is better because it won't rust out.
1208HawkTree
AG
JM- just had ABC come out and "rodent proof" the entire house. Sealed every entry point and place lots of traps in the attic spaces for anything that now cannot get out. It's not cheap, but I now know they cannot get inside. Foamed and/or screened every single "hole" into the structure, including roof and exhaust vents, put mesh in every weep hole. We also let the dog make her rounds in the back yard every night to scare off anything trying to approach the house. Found a few dead ones in the bushes that I think she got ahold of but let go after the job was done.

1208HawkTree
AG
They did mention if you have a detached garage with a breezeway that connects to the house, this is most likely their entry point. All of the pics I attached were of just what he did in the garage at that point of entry.
agz win
AG
Fox urine
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- The thing about Mice / Rats, is that when they get hungry, cold, or thirsty maybe. Those teeth can plow right thru low gauge chicken wire, or plywood, or walk thru the garage door when it's opened.

One tiny opening and rodents just walk around the barriers.

This with ~6 Bait Boxes and most rodent jobs are taken care of when playing the long game.

https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/contrac-blox-rodent-bait?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2or8BRCNARIsAC_ppyaRXWk7suIIeuWTAJK6qDmY_8D1U08AmljLPGOw_C_1pPPh7r9nAUoaAiF2EALw_wcB
Greener Acres
AG
I use a version of the poison EcoZapp posted and it has worked wonders. The only problem are dead rat carcasses in the attic. The sonic device posted above is in my house right now and it has done nothing. Well, it does provide a nice red light so the rats have a beacon.
will.mcg
AG
I have the best luck with rodent eradication by putting out "bait chunks" sometimes the they don't make it outside before they die & it stinks for a week. If it's in the garage no big deal. The smell has never been incredibly foul so I'm not too worried if any die in the attic above the house.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- So, After so many years in the Pest business, Dead Mice and Rats have 100% been an Issue forever for some once or twice a year.

It's one reason we found Indoor Air Purifiers for HVAC Systems many years ago now. They eat up all odors including dead animal smells.

Not the perfect solution, but no one wants to find dead mice/ break open walls. Buildings sometimes have rodent issues and dead animal smells effect customers/ workers. Purifiers zap the germs, like the bacon smells, and the dead mice smells..
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Greener Acres said:

I use a version of the poison EcoZapp posted and it has worked wonders. The only problem are dead rat carcasses in the attic. The sonic device posted above is in my house right now and it has done nothing. Well, it does provide a nice red light so the rats have a beacon.

- If you Leave an Bright screw in LED Light on in your Attic 24/7 Rodents will be less likely to hang around. Rodents don't like to be out in the open or in the light.

Same Rule apply for Hotel Rooms, Leave a light on and the Bugs will be less likely to come out. ( Especially bed bugs ; Fleas don't care )
RJ3
AG
Rodent pressure in Texas has increased drastically in residential homes. There's rodents EVERYWHERE and they aren't going anywhere.

Hands down the most effective way is to rodent proof(seal) a home by sealing ALL possible entry points on the exterior, not just the few holes they used. Once sealed, set traps and catch all the active rodents. To get rid of rats, you gotta think like a rat and seal all possible entry points. Never underestimate them.

Baits & rodenticides inside a home are just asking for a dead smell in the walls. That stuff works and are great products, buts it's mainly intended to be on the exterior of the home to serve as a first line of defense against rodents and keeping the pressure down on your home. It certainly helps, but don't count on it being the silver bullet against rodents.

The pictures posted above is hardware cloth/screen that rodents can't chew through. Hardware cloth and metal flashing work wonders.

Rodent proofing eliminates the worry. Let them go to your neighbors home after trying(and failing)to get into yours.

*Full disclose, my family owns a pest control company(the one referenced above)*
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- Some people like the 'Hundreds of dollars' solution and some like the 'thousands of dollars' solution.

I've seen rats chew thru Leaf guards on rain gutters, then chew thru the actual rain gutter to get into the attic more than once. And Mice only need a hole the size of a dime to squeeze thru.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.