Outlet keeps "burning out" bulbs

1,021 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FatZilla
Crazy Ag 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My exterior lights on the front of the house have 4 lights all attached to the same switch. In all 4 of them, I installed the same led bulbs when we bought the house. 3 of them are still the bulbs I installed 3 years ago, but the 4th is an issue. I've had to change out the bulb 5 times now, the bulb literally only lasts about a month, if that. It's only been 5 changes out of laziness and generally still enough light. That said, any ideas on what could be causing this one outlet to keep burning out bulbs?
cevans_40
AG
I have no idea but I have the same issue with one light in a 3 light vanity set. Makes no sense to me
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Crazy,

I'd guess that heat generated by poor contact, either within the socket itself, or in the wire attachment points, is the culprit.

LED's are great, until you get them too hot.

So, I'd suggest (with the power OFF) your checking the following:

1. Bend up the little 'tab' in the middle of the socket, and inspect it / clean it for burn marks;

and,

2. Make sure the wires that go to the terminals on the socket have not frayed to the point that you only have a few strands left carrying the current, and also that the screws are tight. If there is a problem there, just cut the wire, re-strip, and re-attach.

If the socket is in very bad shape, just replace it.

One more thing -- if the wires leading to that socket (from the switch) have any splice points, check those too.
BigNastyNate
AG
I had his issue once. Someone recommended looking into the fixture with no bulb and pulling up the piece at the bottom that makes the connection. Clearly do this with power shut off to avoid shocking yourself.

That, and the change to LEDs, seems to have eliminated my issue.

If I recall correctly, mine had some ceramic from the fixture there actually broken off in the socket as well.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Ribeye-Rare said:

Crazy,

I'd guess that heat generated by poor contact, either within the socket itself, or in the wire attachment points, is the culprit.

1. Bend up the little 'tab' in the middle of the socket, and inspect it / clean it for burn marks;

and,

2. Make sure the wires that go to the terminals on the socket have not frayed to the point that you only have a few strands left carrying the current, and also that the screws are tight. If there is a problem there, just cut the wire, re-strip, and re-attach.

One more thing -- if the wires leading to that socket (from the switch) have any splice points, check those too.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Ribeye-Rare said:

Crazy,

and,

Thank you for the input. I'll take a look at it this week and see if that's the issue. It's been very frustrating, especially since all the other sockets on that circuit are working great.
FatZilla
AG
Crazy Ag 97 said:

My exterior lights on the front of the house have 4 lights all attached to the same switch. In all 4 of them, I installed the same led bulbs when we bought the house. 3 of them are still the bulbs I installed 3 years ago, but the 4th is an issue. I've had to change out the bulb 5 times now, the bulb literally only lasts about a month, if that. It's only been 5 changes out of laziness and generally still enough light. That said, any ideas on what could be causing this one outlet to keep burning out bulbs?
Check if the lights have individual ballasts. Could be a bad one of those even if they share the a same one though. That is the most common reason for burning out the LEDs imo.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.